Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wagga
    Age
    75
    Posts
    109

    Default Bedding compound for gunwale rub strips

    What would be a suitable product to bed my rub strips to the gunwales with. I am going to fasten them with copper nails/roves. The surface they are going on to is already painted. I don't want to use epoxy as they may have to be replaced some day. I suppose it will have to be some type of sealant/adhesive but not sure what to use. Any suggestions welcomed.
    Just Do It !

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Age
    2010
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Age
    69
    Posts
    339

    Default

    Hi Patonga - I used Sikaflex 291 for this job. Refer my Post #287 - 136 Rub Rail, Coaming and Coach Roof Trim Installation. You might find it useful.
    Laurie - away from the sea

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wagga
    Age
    75
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dry Water View Post
    Hi Patonga - I used Sikaflex 291 for this job. Refer my Post #287 - 136 Rub Rail, Coaming and Coach Roof Trim Installation. You might find it useful.
    Thanks for that Dry Water, I'll check it out.
    Just Do It !

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Paynesville victoria
    Age
    69
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Second Sikaflex, couple of things though, ensure it has plenty of date on it, you need a hd 2strap gun for it, and tubes dropped in warm water make it much easier to apply, best clean up is toluene
    cheers Ian

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wagga
    Age
    75
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Artlett View Post
    Second Sikaflex, couple of things though, ensure it has plenty of date on it, you need a hd 2strap gun for it, and tubes dropped in warm water make it much easier to apply, best clean up is toluene
    cheers Ian
    Ian,
    Do you mean check that it is not close to it's "use by date"?
    Alan.
    Just Do It !

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Nsw
    Age
    60
    Posts
    704

    Default

    Size (and other) polyurethanes have a shelf life of 12months unopened. I have had tubes go hard on me on the shelf
    There is a manufactured date stamped on each tube if you need to check but most sellers turn their stock over regularly

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wagga
    Age
    75
    Posts
    109

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beardy View Post
    Size (and other) polyurethanes have a shelf life of 12months unopened. I have had tubes go hard on me on the shelf
    There is a manufactured date stamped on each tube if you need to check but most sellers turn their stock over regularly
    Thought that's what you meant. Thanks for that.
    Alan.
    Just Do It !

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Paynesville victoria
    Age
    69
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Patonga View Post
    Ian,
    Do you mean check that it is not close to it's "use by date"?
    Alan.
    Sorry, yes I see a lot of out of date tubes, on the shelves, this is one product that goes off in storage

Similar Threads

  1. Removing nails from gunwale - Sabre dinghy
    By NicGellie in forum BOAT BUILDING / REPAIRING
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12th Mar 2008, 09:49 PM
  2. Plane bedding chisel
    By sumu in forum HAND TOOLS - UNPOWERED
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22nd Sep 2007, 08:02 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •