Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Woodford, Qld
    Posts
    50

    Default painting ikea window shutters

    we bought some shutters a while ago which originally came from iKEA. they were white once but now not so much. to rectify the situation i gave them a little sand and have begun to repaint them. problem is, they are coming up really furry like. two coats of duragard exterior gloss white and they still look . so, should i give them an emery paper rub down and keep painting. or, is there a better way all together.

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Woodstock (Cowra)
    Age
    74
    Posts
    3,363

    Default

    Simple, don't buy Ikea
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

    Cheers
    Ray

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    melbourne australia
    Posts
    2,594

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rwbuild View Post
    Simple, don't buy Ikea
    Very helpful.

    Quote Originally Posted by ajm View Post
    problem is, they are coming up really furry like.


    An oil-based paint might be better, as it is unlikely to raise the grain like the water-based Duraguard.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Woodford, Qld
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rwbuild View Post
    Simple, don't buy Ikea
    Perhaps this was for a question that asked where to shop. Having reread what I posted, it definitely wasn't about shopping. It was about painting. That's where you apply liquid colour to surfaces. Hope this helps in future.

    Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Woodford, Qld
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jack620 View Post
    Very helpful.



    An oil-based paint might be better, as it is unlikely to raise the grain like the water-based Duraguard.
    Thanks Jack. Will try with oil based. It's weird though. The pair of shutters on the opposite side of the corridor have come up a treat using solarguard.

    Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    East Warburton, Vic
    Age
    54
    Posts
    14,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajm View Post
    so, should i give them an emery paper rub down and keep painting.
    Yep, a light sand will knock the furry bits off
    Cheers

    DJ


    ADMIN

  8. #7
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Woodstock (Cowra)
    Age
    74
    Posts
    3,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajm View Post
    Perhaps this was for a question that asked where to shop. Having reread what I posted, it definitely wasn't about shopping. It was about painting. That's where you apply liquid colour to surfaces. Hope this helps in future.

    Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk
    It was my personal opinion of Ikea and a failed attempt at humour.
    Sand with a course wet and dry, spray with a primer, wait 48 hrs to cure properly, dry sand with medium to fine wet& dry then spray with your preferred choice of white
    Just a moment...
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

    Cheers
    Ray

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Woodford, Qld
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rwbuild View Post
    It was my personal opinion of Ikea and a failed attempt at humour.
    Sand with a course wet and dry, spray with a primer, wait 48 hrs to cure properly, dry sand with medium to fine wet& dry then spray with your preferred choice of white
    Just a moment...
    and today, i can see the funny side of it. sometimes my sarcastic side is more powerful than my human side. i would be great in politics. cheers.

Similar Threads

  1. Window shutters
    By Reno RSS Feed in forum DOORS, WINDOWS, ARCHITRAVES & SKIRTS ETC
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11th March 2010, 01:30 PM
  2. External window shade/security roller shutters?
    By ubeaut in forum DOORS, WINDOWS, ARCHITRAVES & SKIRTS ETC
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th November 2008, 07:21 AM
  3. Window Roller Shutters
    By rod1949 in forum WOODWORK - GENERAL
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th October 2005, 10:15 PM
  4. Window Shutters
    By Bodgy in forum WOODWORK - GENERAL
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd August 2005, 12:42 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •