Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 108
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    23,852

    Default Voted early - way to go.

    SWMBO is going to be away on election day so today we dropped into an early polling place so she could do the business and thought, as I'm here I might as well vote.

    As we arrived I spotted an empty parking bay right outside the front door so we didn't have to deal with the pamphleteers who were all hanging around the middle of the carpark. One did come running over but we made it inside the door in time.

    Inside there was one person in front of us and we were done and dusted in 2 minutes.

    Later I read that over 120,000 people voted on the first day the early polling places opened (yesterday) - that's twice as many as the first day on the 2016 election. I think that says we've all had a gut full of the advertising and BS.

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Not far enough away from Melbourne
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    I think that says we've all had a gut full of the advertising and BS.
    BS as in Bill Shorten?
    Doug3030's Open Shed Day 2020 - Let's take the year off for COVID-19. may resume in 2021
    See here for details:
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f303/...-2019-a-224305

  4. #3
    FenceFurniture's Avatar
    FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    1017m up in Katoomba, NSW
    Posts
    9,687

    Default

    Yebbut what if you were in Qld and were going to vote One Nation (somehow!) in the Senate. You go and vote yesterday or today and come home only to see vids of the goose you just voted for......

    What if, in 1993, you'd voted early for the Libs and then seen the Mike Willesee train wreck interview with John Hewson....(esp if you were a cake shop owner without autistic maths skills)

    I suspect in either case your lower sphincter might tighten.

    Yeah o'course we've had a gutful, but we have to let the journos conduct their examinations for the full course to make sure exposure of the facts is as full as it can be.

    Only time I can see it being ok to vote early is if you know you are going to vote informal (which is a legitimate message-sending vote in itself)
    Regards, FenceFurniture

    COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

  5. #4
    FenceFurniture's Avatar
    FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    1017m up in Katoomba, NSW
    Posts
    9,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doug3030 View Post
    BS as in Bill Shorten?
    Yeah, and Bloody Scummo.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

    COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Not far enough away from Melbourne
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    Yeah, and Bloody Scummo.
    We really don't have any choices worth leaving the shed to go and vote for - pre-poll or on the day.

    I intend to go out and vote in pre-poll so I don't have to queue up for hours. Not a viable option with my back problems
    Doug3030's Open Shed Day 2020 - Let's take the year off for COVID-19. may resume in 2021
    See here for details:
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f303/...-2019-a-224305

  7. #6
    FenceFurniture's Avatar
    FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    1017m up in Katoomba, NSW
    Posts
    9,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doug3030 View Post
    We really don't have any choices worth leaving the shed to go and vote for - pre-poll or on the day.
    Ain't that the truth. Probable Dickhead vs Known Dickhead. Great choice.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

    COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    23,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    Yebbut what if you were in Qld and were going to vote One Nation (somehow!) in the Senate. You go and vote yesterday or today and come home only to see vids of the goose you just voted for......
    What if, in 1993, you'd voted early for the Libs and then seen the Mike Willesee train wreck interview with John Hewson....(esp if you were a cake shop owner without autistic maths skills)
    I suspect in either case your lower sphincter might tighten.
    Yeah o'course we've had a gutful, but we have to let the journos conduct their examinations for the full course to make sure exposure of the facts is as full as it can be.
    Only time I can see it being ok to vote early is if you know you are going to vote informal (which is a legitimate message-sending vote in itself)
    Oh not that old claptrap again.
    Anyone that has to change away from a party based on the vids of a goose, or change their vote based on last nights tweedle dumb and tweedle dee show deserves to have their lower sphincter tighten.
    The 1993 cake shop incident - crikey is that all you can come up with? - it sounds like a month python sketch.
    Anyway - nothing that WA does electorally influences the election outcome anyway - so we might as well not vote.
    And remember no matter who you vote for you always get a politician.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Conder, ACT
    Age
    73
    Posts
    5,960

    Default

    Political threads are frowned on

    See rule 3.
    You will see that political posts lead to the breaking of a number of sections of rule 3.
    Please no person names,or party names.

    3.0 - Material you may NOT post
    You agree NOT to post material or links to web-sites that contain material, that is:
    3.1 - abusive, obscene, divisive or vulgar
    3.2 - defamatory, hateful or threatening
    3.3 - racially motivated
    3.4 - sexually-orientated
    3.5 - Incitement to commit breach of any Commonwealth or State law or regulation.
    3.6 - offensive to reasonable adults
    3.7 - inappropriate on a family friendly forum
    3.8 - infringes copyright
    3.9 - infringes on right to privacy
    3.10 - denigrates any particular group, incorporated body or individual
    3.11 - false or deliberately misleading
    3.12 - naming companies or products involved in disputes or grievances (naming & shaming)
    3.13 - in violation of any laws be it of your country, the country where Woodwork Forum is hosted or International Law
    3.14 - posts that the Admin Team, at its absolute discretion, consider to be trolling
    3.15 - considered by the Admin Team to be an ongoing promotion of a competitive website

  10. #9
    FenceFurniture's Avatar
    FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    1017m up in Katoomba, NSW
    Posts
    9,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Oh not that old claptrap again.
    It's hardly old Bob - pre-polling is becoming very popular in recent years and so this situation takes on more gravity. It's hardly claptrap either. I think I read that they are expecting double the pre-poll voters this time? A 100% increase in three years is huge.


    Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Anyone that has to change away from a party based on the vids of a goose, or change their vote based on last nights tweedle dumb and tweedle dee show deserves to have their lower sphincter tighten.
    What, so we should kill off investigative journalism because people don't need to know the truth about what their politicians get up to? That's the logical conclusion of what you are saying. For some of the followers of the "vids" party I suspect it might be the last straw, just like it was for the leader, and a lot of the followers obviously "think" like that particular leader.

    I would suggest that the country may well have dodged a bullet because of that exposŤ. Maybe a seat in the Senate was unachievable from second place, but now it surely is out of the question (even though the ballot papers have been printed). We need our Law makers to be of good character, regardless of whether they have a family or not.


    Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    The 1993 cake shop incident - crikey is that all you can come up with? - it sounds like a month python sketch.
    No, there are other examples. Those two were just the current one and the most famous one. There was a massive budget black hole incident some years ago ($6 bill unaccounted for expenditure, by one of the major parties). Whatever it was, the numbers were wildly inaccurate.

    "The Cake Shop Sketch" does have a certain ring to it though.....

    In any case it is not how many examples I can come up with, it's the principle behind why voting early may not be such a good idea (in some elections, anyway). There are always many many voters who have not made up their mind during the campaign - some right up until the day. An exposŤ like we have seen will surely help them to decide.

    In a different scenario, what if you were going to vote for one of the majors (which is the most probable scenario) and there was an exposŤ that showed that one of their foundation policies was never intended to be implemented - it was just a massive vote catcher to gain power for three years. It was a policy that had swung your vote, you vote early, the exposŤ is aired. How do you feel then eh? I know I'd feel bloody ropeable and ripped off.



    Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    Anyway - nothing that WA does electorally influences the election outcome anyway - so we might as well not vote.
    It's the marginal seats and the swing voters that affect the outcome, no matter where they are. Safe seats and rusted on voters could (usually) be taken out of the equation just like "pairing" in the house. Your comment suggests that you might continue to vote for the person or party exposed during the campaign, regardless of what's been exposed, simply because you think your vote doesn't matter. Our vote always matters.


    We have one of the best electoral systems in the world on two counts: people are forced to have a say (even if that is informal voting, which says something), and we have preferential voting (which needs a little tweaking). We should value it while we can as it may not be there forever. We should also value investigative journalism while it still exists - it is already under threat with the closing of so many outlets and concentration of media power into just a few pairs of hands around the world. One of them will die in the next few years or so, but one wonders what might follow him.

    If we are apathetic about our democracy then we will lose it - no question, especially in these somewhat more dangerous days. Just because things have largely always been the same for us Baby Boomers does not mean that they can't change very rapidly indeed in the current ultra-fast world. A stroke of the pen from our largest trading partner and we would be rooted. My partner comes from Argentina - we don't appreciate the easy ride Australia has had.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

    COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

  11. #10
    FenceFurniture's Avatar
    FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    1017m up in Katoomba, NSW
    Posts
    9,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    The 1993 cake shop incident - crikey is that all you can come up with?
    I've just seen yet another example in this morning's news. One of the major parties has dumped a candidate for expressing hateful views against a particular religion.

    What if you were from that religion and had pre-polled to vote for him yesterday? You'd feel sick to your stomach, regardless of whether he was sacked now or sacked later. It might even turn you off that particular party completely so you would feel as though you had voted incorrectly.
    Regards, FenceFurniture

    COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    23,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    In a different scenario, what if you were going to vote for one of the majors (which is the most probable scenario) and there was an exposŤ that showed that one of their foundation policies was never intended to be implemented - it was just a massive vote catcher to gain power for three years. It was a policy that had swung your vote, you vote early, the exposŤ is aired. How do you feel then eh? I know I'd feel bloody ropeable and ripped off.
    This doesn't bother me as I start out by considering ALL policies as "exposed" or at least highly unlikely to be implemented at all, or anywhere near the original claims.
    Many of the so called policies are meaningless/vague and always estimated in terms of funding if they intend to meet targets.
    Once they get in they find they can't afford to implement many of them so they "select" what they want to implement (core and non-core promises) and then many are blocked by the senate or even factions of their own party.
    Then there's the increasing amount of time spent on not passing any policies, just endless bickering between and inside parties, there's no real interest in advancing the country - just hanging on to power - just look at the last couple of governments we've had.

  13. #12
    FenceFurniture's Avatar
    FenceFurniture is offline The prize lies beneath - hidden in full view
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    1017m up in Katoomba, NSW
    Posts
    9,687

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BobL View Post
    This doesn't bother me as I start out by considering ALL policies as "exposed" or at least highly unlikely to be implemented at all, or anywhere near the original claims.
    That's a very jaded and cynical view, but I'm not saying it's not at least partially justified.

    However, how do you decide who to vote for, or do you just vote informal every time these days? (which would seem to be the only logical choice if you don't believe any of what they say, or that any good will come from it)
    Regards, FenceFurniture

    COLT DRILLS GROUP BUY
    Jan-Feb 2019 Click to send me an email

  14. #13
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Not far enough away from Melbourne
    Posts
    3,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    I've just seen yet another example in this morning's news. One of the major parties has dumped a candidate for expressing hateful views against a particular religion.

    What if you were from that religion and had pre-polled to vote for him yesterday? You'd feel sick to your stomach, regardless of whether he was sacked now or sacked later. It might even turn you off that particular party completely so you would feel as though you had voted incorrectly.
    But - what about if we don't get to hear that one of these miscreants went to a strip club or said something less than politically correct about someone's religion or sexual preferences the WEEK AFTER they are elected?

    Can we call the election null and void because all the information was not made available in advance?

    All of them are guilty of SOMETHING that they would rather we did not know about.

    If the political parties worked as hard at governing the country for the benefit of all as they do going around searching for buckets of $#IT to tip over each other we would all be far better off.
    Doug3030's Open Shed Day 2020 - Let's take the year off for COVID-19. may resume in 2021
    See here for details:
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f303/...-2019-a-224305

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    23,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FenceFurniture View Post
    That's a very jaded and cynical view, but I'm not saying it's not at least partially justified.
    Unfortunately it's hard wired into my professional training. ie start by setting your crap meter on high, assume nothing, and dig around in the background to see where their coming from.

    Quote Originally Posted by doug3030 View Post
    But - what about if we don't get to hear that one of these miscreants went to a strip club or said something less than politically correct about someone's religion or sexual preferences the WEEK AFTER they are elected?
    Well exactly.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    lower eyre peninsular
    Age
    70
    Posts
    2,331

    Default

    If I go on poling day, rest assured the minders leave me alone, living in a small town the local 'minders' recognise me and by now know well enough to leave me alone. But to try and play the game I hang around till there is only me heading for the entry door, they all quickly find other stuff to do.
    I am not a bear, nor a Staffy bull terrier, nor look like atilla the hun they have just learnt that I dont need their wastage paper forms and if they force it upon me, I'll find a very interesting place on their person, so it cant be used again.
    Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Who Said I'm Early
    By Dalboy in forum WOODCARVING AND SCULPTURE
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th Jul 2013, 12:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •