Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 105
  1. #76
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Starts looking like a plane now. Fitted the rear infill.

    Started on the front. I didn't have a suitable thick enough board. I had to glue something together. So I thought I will feature it a little. Only brought roughly to size and still need to shape properly.




    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cklett View Post
    Starts looking like a plane now. Fitted the rear infill.

    Started on the front. I didn't have a suitable thick enough board. I had to glue something together. So I thought I will feature it a little. Only brought roughly to size and still need to shape properly.




    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Cklett,


    Loooookkkking very good, I like the way you have created the front bun,
    What is the timber you have used,I have seen it before, but just canít remember itís name[emoji3064].

    Cheers Matt.

  4. #78
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Millmerran,QLD
    Age
    70
    Posts
    8,747

    Default

    CK

    I think that will look spectacular.

    Regards
    Paul
    Bushmiller;

    "Power tends to corrupt. Absolute power corrupts, absolutely!"

  5. #79
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
    Cklett,


    Loooookkkking very good, I like the way you have created the front bun,
    What is the timber you have used,I have seen it before, but just canít remember itís name[emoji3064].

    Cheers Matt.
    The wood is Chinese Elm.

    Still thinking a bit on some details of the final shape. Will see how it develops...


    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  6. #80
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    3,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by [B

    Nice. I wouldn't have thought of butterflying the timber in the knob like that - inspired. Cannot wait to try it with black heart sassafras.

  7. #81
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeCook View Post
    Nice. I wouldn't have thought of butterflying the timber in the knob like that - inspired. Cannot wait to try it with black heart sassafras.
    Yeah, I thought that was a clever idea too and I thought it WAS sassy.

  8. #82
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    3,160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Picko View Post
    Yeah, I thought that was a clever idea too and I thought it WAS sassy.

    Me, too, but I didn't want to say so.

  9. #83
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    406

    Default

    I took some inspiration from the Lazarus Planes for the front bun.



    I will do the same as for the rear handle. I leave it like this for a couple days and just take in my hand a few times and see if I like or still tweak it a little.

    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  10. #84
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Dandenong Ranges
    Posts
    739

    Default

    Love the chinese elm bun. Things are coming together nicely. I wonder whether you could use the same piece of timber for a matching handle? More work, I know!

  11. #85
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Ash View Post
    Love the chinese elm bun. Things are coming together nicely. I wonder whether you could use the same piece of timber for a matching handle? More work, I know!
    The handle is also from the same tree, but I did not have a suitable piece with that feature. During drying it had quite some cracks through the dark wood.

    Anyway, I managed to use some scraps to give also a little high light to the lever cap screw.



    I wanted to do more, but I noticed I do not have enough epoxy left to glue the infills in.



    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  12. #86
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Finally took the plunge and glued the infills in. I had some trouble clamping down the rear infill but a hand screw clamp (courtesy from Ian W) solved the problem ) It's hard to push down on a 45 degree surface...



    I tried to be as clean as possible. My joints looked tight, but some epoxy found its way through. No problem. Will be sanded off ;-)



    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  13. #87
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Today managed to put some cross rivets in.



    They came nice. Not visible anymore.
    Can you find them? [emoji16]




    Also started flattening. I had to start at 40 grit. I used normal flat bar for the sole. So not precision ground stuff or so. Especially around the mouth I have a low point.



    Maybe I get her finished on the weekend and then show the hole thing.





    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  14. #88
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,363

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cklett View Post
    Today managed to put some cross rivets in.



    They came nice. Not visible anymore.
    Can you find them? [emoji16]




    Also started flattening. I had to start at 40 grit. I used normal flat bar for the sole. So not precision ground stuff or so. Especially around the mouth I have a low point.



    Maybe I get her finished on the weekend and then show the hole thing.





    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    CK.
    You know we will all now expand the pics up and try and find your rivet heads,I couldnít find them at all,
    So I would say thatís awesome.

    With regards flatting the soul, I fill your pain!!!!


    Cheers Matt.

  15. #89
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Ok these were my first two and they are slightly visible...



    Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

  16. #90
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NSW
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Coming together nicely.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. $2 scrub plane
    By chook in forum HAND TOOLS - UNPOWERED
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10th Sep 2014, 01:57 PM
  2. Scrub plane
    By snafuspyramid in forum HAND TOOLS - UNPOWERED
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 1st Jul 2011, 10:38 AM
  3. Jack plane converted to scrub plane...???
    By Greg_stewy in forum HAND TOOLS - UNPOWERED
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 7th Jun 2007, 10:59 AM
  4. Scrub plane maybe?
    By Shedhand in forum HAND TOOLS - UNPOWERED
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 30th Dec 2006, 07:55 PM
  5. Kudos to Lee Valley- Scrub Plane; and Shoulder plane question
    By lyptus in forum HAND TOOLS - UNPOWERED
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12th Jul 2005, 08:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •