Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Changing of the guard...........

............or out with old

and in with the new.

I finally purchased a new wood lathe after a fairly lengthy decision making process (sometimes called "paralysis by analysis"!).

There was some conjecture in my https://www.woodworkforums.com/f221/m...e-sale-115030/ thread as to what the colour of my new wood lathe would be.

As you can see it is neither blue or yellow.

I did look at the Woodfast Yellow Peril (M910). In fact Carbatec has one on the floor that they are offering (and have been for some time) for $2495, a whopping $1000 reduction on the normal price. It is a very good quality machine with the best machined bed of all the lathes I looked at, and that includes the Vicmarcs.

However, it suffers from a couple of drawbacks IMHO. First of all, like most of the big lathes it appears to be aimed at giants. With a centre spindle height of about 1150mm it is way too high for me, but more importantly due to the design of the, excellent, stand it is very hard to modify that height.
    On top of that, although it has EVS via an inverter, to get the full range of speeds there are 6 belt changes to negotiate, a somewhat puzzling design decision shared by it's little brother the M305. The centres on the M910 lined up nicely with little side side "slop" between the tail stock and the bed.

Although it a lot cheaper than the Vicmarcs, it is still more than $1000 dearer than the H&F WL46 which I eventually settled on.

This is a seriously heavy duty machine at 265kg. It has a very substantial cast iron bed which takes 2 blokes to lift it (DAMHIKT) and although not as finely ground as the Woodfast bed, it is still streets ahead of a lot of other lathe beds I looked at. This bedd is supported on 2 very heavy cast iron egs, similar to the Jet 1642 (they're even good enough to support a Nova DVR-XP, aren't they Ern)

It is the same lathe as the Laguna Platinum 18x47 , the Craftex 128 from BusyBee (Canada) and the Grizzly G0698.

It is also very closely related to the Powermatic 5320B and the Jet 1642.

The design of these lathes is somewhat different to a lot of other lathes in that the head stock slides along the bed, right to the end for bowl turning. A bowl turning attachment is also offered by H&F for an additional $99, unfortunately no stock at present.

The 2hp inverter driven motor has 2 speed ranges, via a very easy belt change, 0-1200 and 0-3200. Head stock spindle is very solid, M30x3.5, and when I put my trusty dial gauge on it in the showroom I first thought that my dial gauge was broken. After borrowing one from H&F and getting the same result, 0 (yes zero!) run out, I was mightily impressed. The spindle also features 24/36 indexing.

It runs very smoothly and is very quiet.

Tool rest measures 350mm with a standard 25mm tool post, which can be clamped from 3 positions on the banjo.

The tailstock has a very impressive 110mm of travel, should come in handy for drilling those pen blanks.

Speaking of pen blanks, when I visited Grumpy John yesterday after picking this lathe up from H&F, he commented that perhaps this was a little bit big for a pen lathe. I guess he is right, but as has been said before, you can turn little things on a big lathe but you can't turn big things on a little lathe.

I'll put up some more pics when I get the various bits out of the trailer (bed and legs) and the boot (head stock/motor, tailstock and tool rest and banjo.

I then have to decide how to lower the height, as this lathe is the same centre height as the Woodfast (and the Vicmarcs). I'll either have to shorten the legs (too late in life to lengthen mine) or make a duck board. I could also make up a new stand and or cupboard, but would prefer to stick with the cast iron legs.

More later............

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Nice lathe well done only if I could convince SWMBO I need a new lathe
    As for the height just make a platform to stand on (not sure if this is what you meant by Duck board) I would have thought this would be good for you southerners so you are not standing on a clod concrete floor.
    Look forward to the first turnings for your new baby
    Cheers Rum Pig

It is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Thanks for the outline Fred. Looks impressive.

Yeah, I'd go for a duckboard with some comfort mat or HD closed cell foam to stand on.
    Cheers, Ern

Nice one Fred
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Thanks guys, yes I already have a rubber comfort mat in front of both the metal lathe/mill area and the wood lathe.

My only reservation about a duckboard, and it needs to be about 75mm high, is that I could forget I'm standing on a platform, step back and go *ss over t*t.

Oh, and I was very remiss in not thanking William Young, Ross48 and Texas1958 for answering all my (at times dumb) question. You guys have been a big help

All 3 are very discerning wood turners, they all own the same lathe

Put a guard rail around it and attach a harness to the lathe.

You didn't call in to me.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Put a guard rail around it and attach a harness to the lathe.

You didn't call in to me.
    Now that would be anal (the guard rail and harness, not calling in to you)

Nice new toy. Go for a duck board to adjust the height.
    Jim
    Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important...

But if you are going to be doing a deal of hollowing, a centre height of a couple of inches above the std won't go amiss.

FWIW I've used the shelf supports inside those legs to install a couple of shelves (brilliant eh?). Top one is for tools and cans of finish in use, but is not so useful cos it gets buried in shavings. Bottom one is loaded with blanks.

Also those legs are prob not splayed enough for a swivel head lathe like the DVR XP; bolting mine down helped, and I've cross braced them at the back (ie. lengthways) but haven't had a chance to test that addition.
    Cheers, Ern

Default Duck Board,

Hi All,
    I'm a 6 Footer, & my Duck Board is approx 120mm. high, with Boards length ways 1 3/4in.- 45mm. x 1/2in - 12mm. Glued & Screwed to 5 - 4 x 2's - 100 x 50mm. The boards are 3/4in. - 45mm. apart, so all the shavings fall through to the floor.
    The Boards being thin, makes the D/B Springy / Bouncy, which I like, & have never had sore feet ever.
    Therefore you are never standing in the shavings. My D/B will hold close to 2 bags of shavings.
    Never had a problem falling off the D/B.
    I have taught quite a few people over the years & they have never fallen either.

Depends what you train your brain to do. NO Brain ?????????.

Just remember, you R/ Handers, that you have to make your D/B in an " L " shape, around the left leg of the Lathe, so as your left foot has somewhere to go.
    Regards,
    issatree.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    Last edited by issatree; 25th March 2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Hit That Enter Key Again.

Nice looking lathe there I usually over-analyse purchases too as I have more time to research than to do

As for the height, just stick a couple of 75mm blocks on your shoes, and hey presto! A Duck board that you can't step off

Cheers,
    Dave

Congratulations! The pressure is on now!
    I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you just read is not what I meant.

Regards, Woodwould.

Nice lathe...sized just right for larger sized pens
    Cheers,
    Ed

Do something that is stupid and fun today, then run like hell !!!

Quote Originally Posted by issatree View Post

Depends what you train your brain to do. NO Brain ?????????.

Regards,
    issatree.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
    I must have, I've trained my brain not to hit the ENTER key!

Fred having seen presidents of OTGA's I agree a solid well finished lathe at a good price to boot. I still feel a swivel head would be a great idea as not everyone has he room for a swinging platter at the end let alone standing room. Something to think bout when making your duck board.

Well done good choice

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast