Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    armidale.nsw.australia
    Age
    65
    Posts
    1,820

    Default Gutta percha fail !

    Hi guys , I have had this piece of gutta percha for a while and was going to make a winged bowl out of it , started off ok but looks like mother nature and white ants beat me to it ,
    Shame because it had some really nice grain colour and patterns inside , oh well back to the drawing board !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers smiife

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Age
    2010
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    58
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Bugger

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Aust
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Like Mick said, "bugger".

    On a side note, could this be gutta percha? It came from a roadside tree cut down by council and left to rot. I assumed it was an acacia but the grain pattern and colouring is very similar.

    Thanks
    Redbeard

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Smife give it a good spray and go for it. Nothing ventured nothing created!!!

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Aust
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Wot he said...

    You've seen what Hardenfast did with his five year old piece of pine?

    There's obviously some real wood left there. Seal it up and give it a whirl.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    324

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    Wot he said...

    You've seen what Hardenfast did with his five year old piece of pine?

    There's obviously some real wood left there. Seal it up and give it a whirl.
    ahmen!!!!!!

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,263

    Default

    I only knew of Gutta Percha as early plastic Daguerreotype and Tintype frames. I had to look it up:

    Gutta Percha – The Plastics Historical Society
    So much timber, so little time.

    Paul

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Warragul Vic
    Posts
    871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
    Like Mick said, "bugger".

    On a side note, could this be gutta percha? It came from a roadside tree cut down by council and left to rot. I assumed it was an acacia but the grain pattern and colouring is very similar.

    Thanks
    Redbeard
    Hi Redbeard

    Sorry mate, in my opinion I don't think it is. Gutta Percha bark is more blocky and less stringy / longitudinal than this lag. Also heartwood is usually darker even in smaller section material. And, one you have smelt it perfumed wood you wil always recognise it. Its sl. oily as well. Its a very tropical almost mangrove from across far Nth Qld (Gulf country) and nthn NT and the Kimberley This looks like something else and not an acacia either ... may a Melaleuca?

    Cheers Euge

    edit: the pics in first post show its blocky (tesselated) bark pattern and dark brown heart.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Warragul Vic
    Posts
    871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul39 View Post
    I only knew of Gutta Percha as early plastic Daguerreotype and Tintype frames. I had to look it up:

    Gutta Percha – The Plastics Historical Society
    Its a local (indigenous) name because of its irritating white sap (typical of Euphorbias).. also called Blind-your-eye or Nthn Brown Birch... nothing to do with rubber or rubber trees. It grows near mangrove communities in the far northern coastal areas (and flood prone areas) across northern Australia.

    Euge
    Last edited by Euge; 1st Mar 2019 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typos & to remove PS

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    8

    Default

    It appears that the damage is only confined to the sapwood, so you could still make something nice from the heartwood although it would need to be rather thin.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Aust
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Euge View Post
    Hi Redbeard

    Sorry mate, in my opinion I don't think it is. Gutta Percha bark is more blocky and less stringy / longitudinal than this lag. Also heartwood is usually darker even in smaller section material. And, one you have smelt it perfumed wood you wil always recognise it. Its sl. oily as well. Its a very tropical almost mangrove from across far Nth Qld (Gulf country) and nthn NT and the Kimberley This looks like something else and not an acacia either ... may a Melaleuca?

    Cheers Euge

    edit: the pics in first post show its blocky (tesselated) bark pattern and dark brown heart.
    Thanks Euge, was just wondering. Melaleuca makes more sense, dunno where I got acacia from.

    Cheers

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Albury Well Just Outside
    Posts
    13,292

    Default

    I think digging out the soft bits and replacing with some coloured epoxy could result in some interesting results.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Burwood NSW
    Age
    78
    Posts
    1,146

    Default

    Redbeard
    It looks like bottlebrush to me .
    Ted

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Warragul Vic
    Posts
    871

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turnerted View Post
    Redbeard
    It looks like bottlebrush to me .
    Ted
    I agree Ted, (I think I know you from long ago. )

    Just for the record.... The genus Callistemon (Bottlebrushes) has recently been combined with the genus Melaleuca.

    Both are endemic to Australia,and popular as garden and ornamental plants
    ( https://www.jcu.edu.au/discover-natu...p.-callistemon )

    Eugene (Euge)

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sunshine Coast, QLD, Aust
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Hey Smiife, sorry about hijacking your post, I got a bit carried away there.

    It's any absolute pain when that special piece you've been hoarding for an age turns out to be dodgy, especially when it's something special. Hopefully you can get something out of it, from what I've seen of gutta percha even the remaining heartwood should be interesting. Swing out around and get a goblet or something?

    Cheers
    Redbeard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gutta Percha
    By MAPLEMAN in forum TIMBER
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12th Feb 2019, 11:56 PM
  2. Figured gutta percha pen blanks
    By benupton in forum WOODTURNING - PEN TURNING
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22nd May 2012, 08:24 PM
  3. Will the joint fail?
    By zelk in forum WOODWORK - GENERAL
    Replies: 86
    Last Post: 12th Dec 2010, 11:26 AM
  4. Twig Pot Gutta Percha
    By Little Festo in forum WOODWORK PICS
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10th Oct 2003, 07:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •