Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Mareeba Far Nth Qld
    Age
    79
    Posts
    2,804

    Default Hughie's success

    Hughie had four entries in the AWTex over the weekend. This is a photo of one of them. It was a very nice piece, well finished and well turned too.

    Jim

    IMG_1093S.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important...

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Age
    2010
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Port Sorell, Tasmania
    Posts
    357

    Default

    Congratulations Hughie. Not much to say that the judges haven't already said.

    Tony
    You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. ~Oscar Wilde

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    armidale.nsw.australia
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,825

    Default

    Well deserved Hughie , well done......
    Thanks for posting Jim
    Cheers smiife

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Caringbah, NSW
    Age
    76
    Posts
    173

    Default

    Another great example of Hughie's talent. Congratulations on a well earned win.

    Gary H

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Pretty Sally Hill, Wallan Vic
    Age
    80
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    Exceptional work Hughie - well done.
    Life is short ... smile while you still have teeth.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    7,876

    Default

    I saw that when I was at the exhibition and also thought it was exceptional and well worth winning, but I can't understand that it was considered as Wood Art.

    Excellent turning with extra skills brought in to make and turn the final appearance to make it more perfect and in my opinion should not be relegated to the Wood Art classification.

    Peter.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Mareeba Far Nth Qld
    Age
    79
    Posts
    2,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee View Post
    I saw that when I was at the exhibition and also thought it was exceptional and well worth winning, but I can't understand that it was considered as Wood Art.

    Excellent turning with extra skills brought in to make and turn the final appearance to make it more perfect and in my opinion should not be relegated to the Wood Art classification.

    Peter.
    Peter,

    I agree with your comments. Hughie's bowl wasn't "relegated" to wood art as you suggest. Hughie entered it in the "wood art" section himself, as a result it was judged in that section.

    Jim

    P
    Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important...

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    ...
    Posts
    7,876

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by powderpost View Post
    Peter,

    I agree with your comments. Hughie's bowl wasn't "relegated" to wood art as you suggest. Hughie entered it in the "wood art" section himself, as a result it was judged in that section.

    Jim

    P
    Thanks for the clarification Jim.

    I suppose Hughie has never seen the exhibition so he may not have the same view on what is wood art then I have for, generally, most wood art entries at the show come nowhere near the turnings that Hughie does.

    Peter.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Prestons Sydney
    Posts
    5,237

    Default

    Lol I had one in the same size bowl class [ under 200mm ] and a couple in vases elsewhere. But as you mentioned I have not been to the exhibition, just post them off and see what happens.
    Actually, this was the first year that I specifically made pieces for the exhibition and I never quite got around to finishing three of them. So these pieces were conscripted to fill in and due to a very busy life, it takes me weeks to finish a piece. The reality is they should only be a few hours work.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Nerang Queensland
    Age
    62
    Posts
    10,611

    Default

    Well done Hughie

    If you are ok with it, I traditionally place a photo of the winning entry on the Woodturners of Australia front page, so I'd appreciate a photo of the piece ncwright at bigpond dot net dot au
    Neil
    ____________________________________________
    Every day presents an opportunity to learn something new

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Prestons Sydney
    Posts
    5,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dai sensei View Post
    Well done Hughie

    If you are ok with it, I traditionally place a photo of the winning entry on the Woodturners of Australia front page, so I'd appreciate a photo of the piece ncwright at bigpond dot net dot au
    shouldnt be a problem

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Adelaide Hills, South Australia
    Posts
    3,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smiife View Post
    Well deserved Hughie , well done......
    Thanks for posting Jim
    +1



    Sent from my ZTE T84 using Tapatalk
    Stay sharp!

    Neil



  14. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Age
    58
    Posts
    136

    Default

    Here is the winning piece.
    Most of us will know who turned this.
    Cheers Mick
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Posts
    1,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mick661 View Post
    Here is the winning piece.
    Most of us will know who turned this.
    Cheers Mick

    I would suggest you should name the winning turner, many around Australia and indeed the world, will have no idea who turned that. I know who it was and spoke to him when he was picking up his entries and boxing them to take home. Did you see his other quite similar item in the previous best of show winners table?

    I also asked him if anything was done off the lathe, his reply, "completely done on the lathe".

    As for the bowl, which is the subject of this thread. I had the pleasure of holding it a few times when it was being photographed prior to the exhibition opening; wonderful piece.

    Mick.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Tasmaniac
    Posts
    1,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Optimark View Post
    I would suggest you should name the winning turner, many around Australia and indeed the world, will have no idea who turned that. I know who it was and spoke to him when he was picking up his entries and boxing them to take home. Did you see his other quite similar item in the previous best of show winners table?

    I also asked him if anything was done off the lathe, his reply, "completely done on the lathe".

    As for the bowl, which is the subject of this thread. I had the pleasure of holding it a few times when it was being photographed prior to the exhibition opening; wonderful piece.

    Mick.
    Good point. I have no idea who he is. Also have no idea who Hughie is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. hey Hughie?
    By tea lady in forum WOODTURNING - GENERAL
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 7th Mar 2012, 08:53 PM
  2. Hey Hughie
    By wheelinround in forum WOODTURNING - GENERAL
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 7th Jul 2009, 10:10 PM
  3. Ty Hughie
    By wheelinround in forum WOODTURNING - GENERAL
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18th May 2009, 02:47 PM
  4. Hughie asks:
    By RETIRED in forum FORUMS INFO, HELP, DISCUSSION & FEEDBACK
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th Sep 2006, 11:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •