Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    armidale.nsw.australia
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,877

    Default Lesser winged box

    Hi guys , this box is from what started out to be a very nicely figured campour blank
    that was going to be a winged box , except one wing came off . ....
    Oh well , rather than waste it I made just a small box , the lid had a hole in it from the screw chuck so I made a little handle out of ebony , still a very nice piece of CL
    what do you think .......
    Comments and advice welcome as always
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers smiife

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Port Sorell, Tasmania
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Nice little box smiife but I am bit glass half empty on this one.

    Tony
    You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. ~Oscar Wilde

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canterbury UK
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,494

    Default

    At least you managed to rescue something from the winged bowl. I like the box but for me, the handle looks wrong maybe a smaller (Height) would look better with just a short knob style.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,278

    Default

    I like the box, beautiful figure. I also think the handle is too tall. Could you have glued the piece that came off back on and continued with the winged bowl? I realize one has to take into consideration of getting a chunk of wood in the face.
    So much timber, so little time.

    Paul

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Burwood NSW
    Age
    78
    Posts
    1,166

    Default

    Was worth saveing .
    Ted

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Woodstock (Cowra)
    Age
    70
    Posts
    2,508

    Default

    A good save, have to agree , smaller knob
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

    Cheers
    Ray

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    armidale.nsw.australia
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul39 View Post
    I like the box, beautiful figure. I also think the handle is too tall. Could you have glued the piece that came off back on and continued with the winged bowl? I realize one has to take into consideration of getting a chunk of wood in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerted View Post
    Was worth saveing .
    Ted
    Quote Originally Posted by rwbuild View Post
    A good save, have to agree , smaller knob

    Looks like the consensus is a smaller knob/handle/finial is required......
    Thanks to all for your comments
    I just went and measured the box and lid
    Box and lid is 75mm
    Handle/finial is 30mm
    So I was going on the thirds rule , may be it don, t always work.......
    Cheers smiife

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    armidale.nsw.australia
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    At least you managed to rescue something from the winged bowl. I like the box but for me, the handle looks wrong maybe a smaller (Height) would look better with just a short knob style.
    Hi derek , thanks for your thoughts always appreciated

    Quote Originally Posted by tony_A View Post
    Nice little box smiife but I am bit glass half empty on this one.

    Tony
    Hi tony , yeah , I know what you mean , but I am a bit of a half full guy
    Cheers smiife

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Port Sorell, Tasmania
    Posts
    393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smiife View Post
    I am a bit of a half full guy
    Have sort of picked that vibe up in one or two of your other posts when things didn't go to plan.
    You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. ~Oscar Wilde

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    armidale.nsw.australia
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tony_A View Post
    Have sort of picked that vibe up in one or two of your other posts when things didn't go to plan.
    Hi Tony , yeah , I think at the end of the day it, s just a piece of wood.......
    Cheers smiife

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canterbury UK
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,494

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smiife View Post
    I just went and measured the box and lid
    Box and lid is 75mm
    Handle/finial is 30mm
    So I was going on the thirds rule , may be it don, t always work.......
    Sometimes rules are meant to be broken. But for the majority of the time, the third rule works

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Albury Well Just Outside
    Posts
    13,303

    Default

    It is a very nice piece.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    armidale.nsw.australia
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,877

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dalboy View Post
    Sometimes rules are meant to be broken. But for the majority of the time, the third rule works
    Hi Derek , but not this time..........

    Quote Originally Posted by Christos View Post
    It is a very nice piece.
    Hi Christos , thanks for your comments....
    Cheers smiife

Similar Threads

  1. Sharpness potential of lesser steel
    By Tiger in forum SHARPENING
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 31st Oct 2009, 01:40 PM
  2. Winged Ones
    By wheelinround in forum NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH WOODWORK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23rd Oct 2007, 09:56 AM
  3. Men have died for lesser offences
    By ohno in forum SAFETY
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 4th Jul 2007, 01:53 PM
  4. murphy's lesser known dictums
    By John Saxton in forum WOODIES JOKES
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 6th Nov 2006, 08:48 PM
  5. Murphy's lesser known dictums
    By macca2 in forum WOODIES JOKES
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20th Sep 2006, 04:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •