Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Townsville. Tropical Nth Qld.
    Posts
    1,032

    Default New to Box Making.

    It's nearly Christmas time and I was processing some box kits for a guy and I had a few bits left over.
    So in the spirit of the season and to lighten the Covid gloom, I want to give 2 box kits away to 2 different people new to box making, all they have to do is pay the postage, $22 will get one to Melbourne, extra to SA or WA. The only condition is they post photos of the completed box. The timber is Qld Maple, 9.5mm thick and will make a box around 300X200X70. The photos show the kits, top and front whetted with alcohol to show the grain, both lids have Maple shimmer. The boards are not dimensioned except they have been drum sanded to thickness. You will have to take either as they are already packed as I was going to do this 2 months ago before I got crook.
    Rgds,
    Crocy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Leopold, Victoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,137

    Default

    Fantastic offer Crocy. I hope this encourages a couple of newbies to have a go as knowing where to find good wood can be difficult sometimes for those starting out.
    Dallas

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Ringwood, VIC
    Posts
    420

    Default

    I'd like to put my hand up please...

    I've long planned to make a box, even got a gifkins jig, but ive just never quite got to starting, and now I have a daughter who is getting keen on woodworking so this would be a great incentive.

    Not sure it will be ready by Christmas though.
    But if you have other takers no problem...

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    What a good offer. What a good idea too.

    Looking forward to what the newbies might do.

    Who is the second taker then! Bid bid!

  6. #5
    crowie's Avatar
    crowie is offline Life's Good, Enjoy each new day & try to encourage
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Faulconbridge, Lower Blue Mountains
    Age
    65
    Posts
    10,240

    Default

    Top marks Father Christmas, aka Old Choc.
    Very generous and definitely in the spirit of good well & Christmas.
    Iím sure the second will be snapped up very soon.
    Cheers crowie

  7. #6
    Mobyturns's Avatar
    Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    "Brownsville" Nth QLD
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,333

    Default

    Crikey, for a while there I thought you had gone over to the dark side. Hope you are well and truly on the mend now.
    Mobyturns

    In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Townsville. Tropical Nth Qld.
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by russ57 View Post
    I'd like to put my hand up please...

    I've long planned to make a box, even got a gifkins jig, but ive just never quite got to starting, and now I have a daughter who is getting keen on woodworking so this would be a great incentive.

    Not sure it will be ready by Christmas though.
    But if you have other takers no problem...
    One is yours Russ, PM on it's way.
    The one thing I forgot was any dividor boards, let me know if you want any.
    Rgds,
    Crocy.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Townsville. Tropical Nth Qld.
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mobyturns View Post
    Crikey, for a while there I thought you had gone over to the dark side. Hope you are well and truly on the mend now.
    If anyone cares, the Townsville University Hospital Emergency Department are excellent, I have had 2 more trips back there in the last month, I can't believe how much blood comes out of a head wound, but they Superglued me back together. Last week a big gust of wind stirred up some sawdust and a bit got through the vents on the goggles and embedded in my eyeball, not a pleasant experience.
    Rgds,
    Crocy.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    18

    Default

    If the other set is still available I too would like to put my hand up.

    I am very much a novice, to both woodworking and box making. I have a 12 week old baby girl and would appreciate this opportunity to pass on to her something that her dad hand made.

    I canít say it will even come close to some of the masterpieces I have seen on here, but I will give it a hell of a go if given the opportunity.

    Regards,

    Mark

  11. #10
    Mobyturns's Avatar
    Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    "Brownsville" Nth QLD
    Age
    63
    Posts
    3,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Croc View Post
    If anyone cares, the Townsville University Hospital Emergency Department are excellent, I have had 2 more trips back there in the last month, I can't believe how much blood comes out of a head wound, but they Superglued me back together. Last week a big gust of wind stirred up some sawdust and a bit got through the vents on the goggles and embedded in my eyeball, not a pleasant experience.
    Rgds,
    Crocy.
    You really have been in the wars. This retirement gig is tougher than work. Remember the old work slogan Crocy "Always be safe." Will have to catch up again, I've been real quiet this year hardly been out of the shed. Only real trip was Proserpine which fortunately could go ahead.
    Mobyturns

    In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Townsville. Tropical Nth Qld.
    Posts
    1,032

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaIN2203 View Post
    If the other set is still available I too would like to put my hand up.

    I am very much a novice, to both woodworking and box making. I have a 12 week old baby girl and would appreciate this opportunity to pass on to her something that her dad hand made.

    I canít say it will even come close to some of the masterpieces I have seen on here, but I will give it a hell of a go if given the opportunity.

    Regards,

    Mark
    Hi Mark, PM on it's way with details.
    Rgds,
    Crocy.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    18

    Default

    I was away for work for a few days, on my return there was a parcel waiting for me. Thank you for the box kit Old Croc, it is most generous of you.

    It will probably take me a few months to get to it, but I will do my best to do the QLD Maple justice, I will post photos of the outcome.

    Thanks again!

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Ringwood, VIC
    Posts
    420

    Default Started...

    Well, I've made a start. Sides cut to length, squared, even made a shooting board. (and got my plane sharp...)

    I'm going to do dovetail corners using gifkins jig.
    I had a think and realised I can sand and finish the sides before I cut the dovetails as the glue surfaces will be freshly cut.
    So, I used a bosch finish sander to 180, and now hand sanding to 240.

    I think I need to go to 320 at least, but thrn what? I have some shellac flakes, , blo, organoil hard burnishing oil, ubeaut hi gloss rubbing oil, or 'clear varnish satin', or shelaqua water based shellac.

    (QLD maple)

    All suggestions welcome..

    Russ

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Ringwood, VIC
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Also, as I sand, I am finding these lines through the wood.
    I thought at first they were scratches from the original thicknessing, but I don't seem to be able to remove them. Is this a grain feature of the maple? Or do I just need to sand more, maybe through the coarser grits again?
    Attached Images Attached Images

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Emerald, QLD
    Posts
    4,357

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by russ57 View Post
    Also, as I sand, I am finding these lines through the wood.
    I thought at first they were scratches from the original thicknessing, but I don't seem to be able to remove them. Is this a grain feature of the maple? Or do I just need to sand more, maybe through the coarser grits again?
    Looks like the coarse sanding marks from a drum sander to me! - needs a whole lot more hand sanding at about 180# to get rid of them before you start stepping through the finer grits. They WILL show up big time when you apply a finish if you don't get rid of them.
    .
    Updated 18th of May

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wheel Making Part Two Making the Wheels
    By htl in forum TOY MAKING
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22nd Feb 2019, 04:35 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 8th Feb 2019, 10:29 AM
  3. Making my first box
    By DaveVman in forum BOX MAKING
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 31st Aug 2018, 04:24 AM
  4. Saw making course
    By RayG in forum Saws- handmade
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 7th Nov 2014, 08:45 PM
  5. Need help on making a box..
    By smiling_sherry in forum BOX MAKING
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 9th Dec 2008, 10:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •