Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    32

    Default finished - whiskey boxes

    Well the initial attempt defeated me at the close. The sides warped - I guess I didn't have the wood as dry as I thought it was. With the wedding only a couple of months away and weary from several months work down the drain, I did a quick job using radiata pine. I am reminded why I hate staining and varnishing - I always find runs or drips afterwards no matter how careful I am.

    Having said that the client - youngest son - is happy which is all that really matters.

    IMG_20200916_185505.jpgIMG_20200917_150959.jpgIMG_20200917_151422.jpgIMG_20200917_163400.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    69

    Default

    They look good to me!

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Albury
    Posts
    2,384

    Default

    I didn't realise that covid was that bad in Canberra that that level of 'supplies' would be necessary. Nice job on the boxes.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aldav View Post
    I didn't realise that covid was that bad in Canberra that that level of 'supplies' would be necessary. Nice job on the boxes.
    Ill have you know Canberra has the best record of anywhere in Australia - you are probably in Melbourne and just jealous

    No these are presents for best man and groomsmen for youngest son's wedding.

    Cheers Paul

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    32

    Default

    IMG_20200917_151358.jpg Look at the stain dribble bottom right of the picture...

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Albury
    Posts
    2,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by betchern0t View Post
    Ill have you know Canberra has the best record of anywhere in Australia - you are probably in Melbourne and just jealous

    No these are presents for best man and groomsmen for youngest son's wedding.

    Cheers Paul
    I was actually alluding to the cardboard boxes beside the wooden boxes, Paul. Now that I look more closely I see the black boxes are Ginger Beer, pretty sure there's wine in the other two though. I'm in NSW and 300km from Melbourne, thankfully.

    Staining pine is always a PITA, almost impossible to get good even coverage. Enjoy the wedding, they're great fun when it's your son/daughter getting married.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    1,883

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by betchern0t View Post
    I did a quick job using radiata pine. I am reminded why I hate staining and varnishing - I always find runs or drips afterwards no matter how careful I am.
    Yes particularly with pine
    Experienced in removing the tree from the furniture

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    used to live in Sydney, now it's Canada
    Age
    65
    Posts
    11,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by betchern0t View Post
    Ill have you know Canberra has the best record of anywhere in Australia - you are probably in Melbourne and just jealous
    get it right Paul ...

    Canberra AND Queanbeyan AND Yass AND Murrumbateman AND everywhere else in that general area of NSW has the best record of anywhere in Australia !!!




    Can't (perhaps more potentially won't) comment on the level of liquid supplies needed ...
    regards from Canada

    ian

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aldav View Post
    I was actually alluding to the cardboard boxes beside the wooden boxes, Paul. Now that I look more closely I see the black boxes are Ginger Beer, pretty sure there's wine in the other two though. I'm in NSW and 300km from Melbourne, thankfully.
    The boxes you see are a source of contention. The son comes and says will you buy some wine for me for the wedding. We will store it in our spare room. The wine was bought and put in the parent's spare room awaiting transport. In the mean time boxes of ginger beer, cider and spirits have magically appeared and joined them. When tackled the son says but the wedding is only a few days away, three months at the most

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    get it right Paul ...

    Canberra AND Queanbeyan AND Yass AND Murrumbateman AND everywhere else in that general area of NSW has the best record of anywhere in Australia !!!




    Can't (perhaps more potentially won't) comment on the level of liquid supplies needed ...
    Yeah well the Canberra goodness rubs off on the close neighbours....

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    used to live in Sydney, now it's Canada
    Age
    65
    Posts
    11,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by betchern0t View Post
    Yeah well the Canberra goodness rubs off on the close neighbours....
    Didn't want to put my foot into it, but I was sort of referring to everywhere more than about 2 hours drive from Greater Sydney.
    regards from Canada

    ian

Similar Threads

  1. A few boxes finished
    By Wigwood in forum BOX MAKING
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29th Feb 2020, 07:53 AM
  2. Finished - Old-fashoined Pencil Boxes
    By Stevlyn in forum BOX MAKING
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22nd Jun 2011, 07:04 PM
  3. Just finished a couple of boxes
    By stride88 in forum BOX MAKING
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 9th Jun 2009, 05:57 PM
  4. Six boxes finished
    By jow104 in forum BOX MAKING
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 8th Jun 2009, 05:33 PM
  5. At Last some boxes finished
    By Don Nethercott in forum BANDSAWN BOXES
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 19th Oct 2005, 08:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •