Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Jewellery box

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Strathalbyn South Australia
    Posts
    1,131

    Default Jewellery box

    Hi all, Iím in the process of making two jewellery boxes and would like to know what foam people use to make the ring holders/rolls that go in the trays. Any suggestions would be great. I have velvet to line them with.
    Cheers Cal






  2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many





     
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    North Qld
    Age
    59
    Posts
    219

    Default

    Lovely looking Box Cal
    May i ask what species of burl you used for the lid
    Thanks for sharing your creation too
    Log Dog

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Westleigh, Sydney
    Age
    75
    Posts
    9,376

    Default

    I use the round styrofoam - I think it's for squeezing into joints - available from Bunnings in long lengths. I use the 12mm stuff and wrap it in either suede or velvet. Just glue the material on with PVA. I bought a 12mm hole punch to cut material for the ends.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Hobart
    Posts
    136

    Default

    What Alex said. Beautiful box.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Woodstock (Cowra)
    Age
    72
    Posts
    3,035

    Default

    Very elegant to be sure x 10
    The person who never made a mistake never made anything

    Cheers
    Ray

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Strathalbyn South Australia
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Log Dog View Post
    Lovely looking Box Cal
    May i ask what species of burl you used for the lid
    Thanks for sharing your creation too
    Log Dog
    Thanks!
    I thought you might be able to help me identify the burl, I have no idea. I was given a heap of veneers by a friend. Most I can identify but this burl has me stumped.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Strathalbyn South Australia
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    I use the round styrofoam - I think it's for squeezing into joints - available from Bunnings in long lengths. I use the 12mm stuff and wrap it in either suede or velvet. Just glue the material on with PVA. I bought a 12mm hole punch to cut material for the ends.
    Thanks Alex! Brilliant idea. Will get some tomorrow.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,222

    Default

    Cal,
    No idea on the foam, but wow, canít wait to see the box finished.

    Cheers Matt.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Albury
    Posts
    2,701

    Default

    I'd suspect that this is the stuff that Alex recommended - Moroday 15mm x 5m White Gap Filler Rod - Bunnings Australia - it's definitely not styrofoam.

    Bunnings don't seem to have it in 12mm though. You might be able to get that size from a wall and floor tiling shop as it's the same stuff you use for corner joints when using fibreglass waterproofing.

    Very attractive box. What is that tray sitting on in the box, it has no visible means of support, really got me scratching my head.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Strathalbyn South Australia
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Thanks, I just found the 15mm and 10mm on the Bunnings page too. I think the 15mm will be fine anyway, the tray is about 36mm deep inside so I may add a bit of a fill panel. Will play it by ear.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Strathalbyn South Australia
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Ohh and there is a pair of rails in the box, at the moment the tray is just sitting there on a couple of blocks of wood. Iím toying with the idea of a pair of brass rods each side to use as runners on the tray, I would drill a pair of holes in each side and glue them in. Or just run a rebate with the trim router and add a pair of rails to the tray. Not sure yet.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kew, Vic
    Posts
    896

    Default

    Hi Cal,

    I use foam sheets from the local art supplies store, folded over thin ply or MDF. This link is to a pack of 40 A4 foam sheets each one being 2mm thick. EC Foam Sheets Assorted Pack | Eckersley's Art & Craft Iím sure they must make smaller packs (fewer sheets).

    I use the method taught to me by Andrew Crawford; this approach is described here: David Barron Furniture: Ring Holders With Andrew Crawford

    A very attractive box, Cal. Thanks for sharing.

    Regards,

    Brian

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 1999
    Location
    Westleigh, Sydney
    Age
    75
    Posts
    9,376

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aldav View Post
    I'd suspect that this is the stuff that Alex recommended - Moroday 15mm x 5m White Gap Filler Rod - Bunnings Australia - it's definitely not styrofoam.

    Bunnings don't seem to have it in 12mm though. You might be able to get that size from a wall and floor tiling shop as it's the same stuff you use for corner joints when using fibreglass waterproofing.

    Very attractive box. What is that tray sitting on in the box, it has no visible means of support, really got me scratching my head.
    That's the stuff. maybe not styrofoam, but similar. I bought it a couple of years ago and got 12mm, but 15mm would do just as well.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Strathalbyn South Australia
    Posts
    1,131

    Default Jewellery box

    Still working on this box, cut some brass rod to hold the tray on the runners. Started finishing with wipe on poly.








  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Auckland New Zealand
    Posts
    263

    Default

    That burl on the lid is killer [emoji108]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Another Jewellery Box
    By aldav in forum BOX MAKING
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2nd November 2021, 11:29 AM
  2. 1st Jewellery Box
    By gooma in forum BOX MAKING
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 13th December 2007, 01:12 AM
  3. 2nd Jewellery Box
    By Bully4 in forum BOX MAKING
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 7th July 2006, 06:29 PM
  4. jewellery box
    By Wardy in forum BOX MAKING
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 4th June 2006, 06:18 PM
  5. jewellery box X3
    By banksiaman in forum BOX MAKING
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23rd March 2006, 08:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •