Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Nut Allergies and Oils

Hi All,

I have done a search and seen this mentioned, but no real answer on whether it is a proper concern.

I am making a chopping board of brush box - primarily as a test for some of the things I am doing with my table top.

As part of that, I want to see what a bit of Organoil (hard burnishing) would do to the look of the wood, so I am considering finishing the board with that. Yes - i realise that current thinking suggests that no finish at all would be better, but as I said I am using this as a test piece anyway.

However, we have a young baby who is not yet up to nuts, as they are quite high on the "possible allergic reaction" list, so we're waiting a while longer before introducing her to them.

Will nut oils, after curing, still be present enough to worry about allergies?

Cheerio,
    sCORCH
    Yes - I'm a lawyer.
    No - I won't bill you for reading this.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Nut allergies duffer in each person as does toxicity levels

Some just walking into a room is enough

hope you find she dosen't have any worries that way

Life is full of nuts just look at this forum

Its the proteins in nuts (or milk, fish, whatever) that produce the allergic reaction. Oils are generally very highly refined and are free of these proteins. The exceptions are some raw oils, if you see a sediment be wary but most commercial cooking oils are fine. Ive never heard of allergies to Olive Oil.

Your main concern will be peanuts as this is the most common allergy. Cottonseed is next, Cottonseed protein is highly allergy provoking yet it is commonly sold as refined oil for frying. A lot of take aways use it. Next will be tree nuts, walnuts, almonds and the like.

BTW, I doubt you will have many problems with nuts unless you have allergies running in your family. Dust is much more serious and common. Wheelin is right, for very allergic people even a whiff can be fatal, for the 99.99% of the rest of us its not an issue. I believe the risk is overstated and (unfortunately) usually self diagnosed. There is a bit of hysteria going on.
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

If you must use oil, use paraffin oil, the only one that is is use for medicinal purposes and also won't go rancid
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

I too, would suggest using Paraffin oil rather than any nut oil, especially if someone is allergic to nuts.

cheers
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Timber View Post
    If you must use oil, use paraffin oil, the only one that is is use for medicinal purposes and also won't go rancid
    I agree, however if in contact with food, you need as a minimum food grade Paraffin Oil, preferably BP (pharmaceutical) grade.

Wouldn't use industrial grade.

[QUOTE=Big Shed;678976]I agree, however if in contact with food, you need as a minimum food grade Paraffin Oil, preferably BP (pharmaceutical) grade.

Now officially called Liquid Paraffin
    Tom

"It's good enough" is low aim

also a 20thC cure for constipation.......
    "We must never become callous. When we experience the conflicts ever more deeply we are living in truth. The quiet conscience is an invention of the devil." - Albert Schweizer

My blog. http://theupanddownblog.blogspot.com

Paraffin.... the safe oil. Doesn't give you the sh^ts but makes it slip out. It is completely inert, non toxic and considered the safest of all oils for use on food preparation surfaces and utensils.

If anyone has even the slightest concern with nut allergies then don't even consider using any nut products, oils included. That way at least your conscience will be clear.
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

Thanks all for your replies - I appreciate it.

If I put anything on the board, we'll have a look at the parrafin oil I think (better safe than sorry).

Cheerio,
    sCORCH
    Yes - I'm a lawyer.
    No - I won't bill you for reading this.