Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cello repair

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,303

    Default Cello repair

    I have been asked to help a friend and repair a split cello top (split after a bag was thrown on top of it, and was only in a soft case).

    I will post some photo's to aid, but do I need to remove the top in order to glue the split? its not really my forte but a friend needs my help.

    I have found that i can apply hand pressure and the split will close up, what sort of glue would I be best to use, CA + Activator and clamp for 24hrs? poxy and do the same?

    I don't really want to be deconstructing it at all.

    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bega NSW
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Please don't use CA or epoxy, hot hide glue should be used. Warm the crack area with a hair dryer or heat gun, then work hot hide glue into the crack with a finger, line up the crack and clamp. Cleanup with warm water.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mandoman View Post
    Please don't use CA or epoxy, hot hide glue should be used. Warm the crack area with a hair dryer or heat gun, then work hot hide glue into the crack with a finger, line up the crack and clamp. Cleanup with warm water.
    Thank you, and where do I get hide glue? I just googled it and Can I use Titebond liquid hide glue?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    blue mountains
    Posts
    4,086

    Default

    It's right under your nose from the man himself.
    HIDE GLUE - Joiners Pearl Glue

    I dont think the liquid stuff is as good as the real thing. Great thing about hide glue is it can be steamed open again so even if your attempt is a failure there is still another chance. You only get one chance with CA or epoxy. I take it the instrument is just a run of the mill cello and not expensive or rare as then it should be taken to an expert.
    Regards
    John

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orraloon View Post
    It's right under your nose from the man himself.
    HIDE GLUE - Joiners Pearl Glue

    I dont think the liquid stuff is as good as the real thing. Great thing about hide glue is it can be steamed open again so even if your attempt is a failure there is still another chance. You only get one chance with CA or epoxy. I take it the instrument is just a run of the mill cello and not expensive or rare as then it should be taken to an expert.
    Regards
    John
    Thank you. Correct, still expensive enough but not worth the quote given to repair. The quote was half the price of the cello. So if I can help a friend out and save him a few bucks, then happy days.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Dungog
    Posts
    153

    Default

    Just wondering how your repair went. I know I'm a bit late but still curious

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dinosour View Post
    Just wondering how your repair went. I know I'm a bit late but still curious
    Dinosaur, apologies, I didn't see this. I'm afraid to say that for fear of dropping $1500 of my friends hard earned money, I knocked it back, but it has since landed back in my lap as he dropped it round for me to test a clamping jig I made, only to find that he won't take it back unfinished.

    so I am back to square 1, and some more details but the gaps had actually closed up, now here's me thinking it was humidity, but in actual fact the sound post had fallen over once I de-tensioned the strings......

    i now have to investigate the type of finish that's on it, I'm thinking clear shellac, but please tell me if I'm wrong. If it is happy days as I have someone that can help me re-finish it. I will try and reset the post, open the gaps and put hide glue in then remove the post again and clamp lightly, then set about taking out some scratches and re-finishing.

    he has said that it's worthless as it is and doesn't want to spend the $800 to get professionally repaired. My concern is that it could cost more to repair my repairs, but he keeps reminding me that as it sits it's worthless so any readonable repair will be better than in its current state. I love his faith, I just don't like to let people down.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    BE
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Do you have a picture of the problem?

    Verstuurd vanaf mijn BLA-L29 met Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Adelaide Hills
    Age
    62
    Posts
    3,803

    Default

    As well as working hide glue into the open crack I would also consider installing a small cleat or two on the underside of the soundboard to hold the crack closed and prevent it re-opening.
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    BE
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fumbler View Post
    I will post some photo's to aid, but do I need to remove the top in order to glue the split? its not really my forte but a friend needs my help.
    If you post a few photos, then I can advise you. I am an amateur instrument maker and I have also access to professionals...

    Verstuurd vanaf mijn BLA-L29 met Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Plans for Cello
    By scuzyboy in forum MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 3rd Jul 2018, 04:35 PM
  2. Axe repair -WA
    By Ross Lambert in forum HAND TOOLS - UNPOWERED
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 1st Nov 2017, 08:38 PM
  3. Cello
    By Tallai in forum MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 2nd Sep 2009, 11:34 PM
  4. A ten day cello
    By Tisorp in forum MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10th Feb 2008, 10:54 AM
  5. Repair or new
    By wheelinround in forum WOODWORK - GENERAL
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30th Jul 2007, 10:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •