Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default please advise re lathe setup

You might have seen my workshop changes post in projects.

I want to put a shelf under the lathe bed to catch shavings that fall from turning and let it fall into a waste bucket.

Anyone tried this and does it work?

the shelf and bucket drawn for example of what I am thinking.

Any more suggestions (I would like a cupboard for storage incorporated with above)

woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi John. Just a thought. I doubt that you will get enough slope on the tray to cause it to dump waste into a bucket, and you would be kicking that bucket over more often than not as you worked. My thought would be to have a flat surface, that would capture a good percentage of the waste, made accessible for a small brush that you could sweep it off readily into the bucket. A flat surface would also make underneath shelving or drawers more practical.

Otautahi , Te Wa'hi Pounamu ( The Mainland) , NZ

The small amount of shavings that fall to the shelf will be negligible compared to the huge pile that will land around you .
    Save the shelf for more important things

Yep, that bucket would get in the way for sure. How about you make that a V shape trough underneath, with sloping sides and front and back with a hole in the middle with a bucket under it?

Yes big shed, thats the one. A tube down the middle through a large cupboard to a bucket under that cross frame.
    woody U.K.

"Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them." ~ Abraham Lincoln

I built a sliding hopper of sorts that slopes down to a DC gulp. As others have said, doesn't help the shavings that fly into your face or on either side of you, but it does catch anything that flys behind the lathe.

I also have a hose that fits into the outlet of the gulp and connects to one of GPW's pen DC collector boxes (sorry no photo) that works a treat, especially for getting rid of those CA fumes and fine sanding dust
    Neil

Exclamation

Mate of mine was talking About hanging a piece of canvas behind the lathe.

One side attached to the wall on sever hooks , and the other side to the lath frame on several hooks. It would have the catenary curve to catch the majority of his shavings.

I wouldn't worry with any thing fancy underneath, just a flat surface.

Most of the shavings will go everywhere else, and I do mean EVERYWHERE. Some hanging curtains, similar to shower curtains, can at least confine them to the lathe's neighbourhood. The shelves are especially vulnerable, and a PITA to clean; overlapping curtain segments can protect, while still providing access.

Cheers,
    Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

A tube down the middle through a large cupboard to a bucket under that cross frame.
    [/QUOTE]

Unless your turning pens I reckon any bucket will fill in a few minutes. I tried a 60L container filled up so fast it wasn't worth all the effort.

I recognize Joe's comments, they are from experience been there and had to clean up from there myself. Now have overlapping curtain segments to install, to separate the turning area from the rest.

Now I design all my lathe stands to let all or as much as I can fall on the floor. I have my lathes far enough out from the wall to get my broom/shovel,rake or whatever behind them and sweep up maybe once a week.

I have dust collection mainly for sanding and will be installing a extraction fan to give cross flow ventilation.

Unless you live in a wind tunnel its kinda hard to catch and remove all the chips successfully. Having said that one of the guys on the forum came up with a design of dust and chip collection built in to the tool rest, looked like it had some very good potential.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

I reckon forget the idea of trying to collect shavings straight from the lathe. It all depends on the wood you are turning. Some will come off as nice long curlies, some will come off as little wood chips and some will come off as just bloody annoying "get up your nose" dust. And those shelves to the right hand side of your lathe are gunna get smothered in shavings and dust. There is nothing wrong with spending an afternoon sweeping and dusting the cave and then leaning back against the workbench and admiring the scenery while downing a nice cold beer. Refer to page 13 paragraph 8 of "the code of practice"

Download and enjoy
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f36/ub...ractice-56847/

If I can't turn it I'll burn it

Can't stop mother nature... Lathe shavings will find themselves in your breast pocket more often than on a shelf. Forego the idea of containment as it is easier to control global warming than flying wood chips. It is your responsibilty to the loverly tree to spead its remains all over your shop so that others can enjoy their presence and pleasures as well as yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    Can't stop mother nature... Lathe shavings will find themselves in your breast pocket more often than on a shelf. Forego the idea of containment as it is easier to control global warming than flying wood chips. It is your responsibilty to the loverly tree to spead its remains all over your shop so that others can enjoy their presence and pleasures as well as yourself.

If it's a problem, stick to particularly fragrant timbers and turn them green

Cheers,
    Dabe
    ...but together with the coffee civility flowed back into him
    Patrick O'Brian, Treason's Harbour

I have to agree with the rest on this one. It is not worth the effort. With a reasonable sized bowl you would be looking at many buckets worth of shavings. Just wade through them as they pile up. It is one of the joys of turning. I find it sort of satisfying to step back and look at the bowl on the lathe and the huge pile of shavings. Kind of gives an indication of what you have done so far.

Regards
    John

Thanks for the advice, your experience counts and the chip tray is off the menu, thinking along the lines of a flush front cabinet and UK member advise getting some weight ballast located for this type of lathe stand.
    woody U.K.

Quote Originally Posted by jow104 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, your experience counts and the chip tray is off the menu, thinking along the lines of a flush front cabinet and UK member advise getting some weight ballast located for this type of lathe stand.
    RayintheUK did this lathe bench for his Henger: The Hegner Lathe Bench

I;ve been tempted to copy it, but I feel like I need a better lathe to sit on top of it! It does look very solid.

Cheers,
    Dave
    ...but together with the coffee civility flowed back into him
    Patrick O'Brian, Treason's Harbour

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast