Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Woodturning longevity

I have had some nice blackwood sitting in a corner ready to use but last time I turned it, I remember coughing and feeling a bit unwell. I am going to have another go at it but I wondered about what would be the best way to counter some of the hazards of woodturning. I know some woodturners who have been turning for decades that have regular coughs but they just dismiss it as a minor inconvenience for doing something that they love. I have adequate dust extraction at the lathe but need to go a little further to ensure that I can turn wood for years to come. It would seem to me that it's the dust that is the big problem so you turn your object and then the extractor comes on when you're ready to sand. Even with the extractor, it's probably not enough for me, so I need something that is quick to put on (when it's time to sand) and take off, is reasonably comfortable and hopefully (but perhaps unrealistic) not too expensive. Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Yes, dust can be pretty toxic. And you can build up sensitivity over time; getting that with Blackwood is not uncommon.

Many folk speak well of the Dust-be-gone mask Tiger.

Fine particles will float around for hours in the shed so it's either the mask on full-time or some system for removing or filtering all the air in short order.
    Cheers, Ern

Dust-bee-gone masks seem to be ok - see carrolls for one

I'm saving up for one of these (and am hoping the price comes down)
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

Yes, good move Nick.

Frankly I think you need all three: a dusty for sucking up as much as possible at source, an air scrubber like that one and a face mask.

Wood dust is a carcinogen as well as causing allergic reactions in some.
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I need something that is quick to put on (when it's time to sand) and take off, is reasonably comfortable and hopefully (but perhaps unrealistic) not too expensive. Any ideas?

I have a 12" fan beside me at head height and that blows most of the chips to the side and away from my face.

Maybe a 12" pedestal fan placed behind you will help to blow the dust away from you and into the extractor.

Peter.

G`day I think the Microclene or something similer is the way to go.
    Mick

I don't think there is any single cure. Not 100% anyway.

But I have noticed a marked improvement this week with the swampy on full and plenty of water in the air. Much better than a dusty and mask.

Not sure that will work over the winter though......

From your post, it sounds like you're only running the dusty when sanding, if this is correct, Turn it on before you start turning and leave it running the entire time and for a little while after you've finished and if possible have the dusty outside or exhausting outdoors.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

ozhunter is offline Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmo

Do I recall that Blackwood is not used in schools anymore because of something called blackwood itch or cough or some such.

Thanks for the replies. The Dust-be-gone mask sounds like a good idea, anyone here used one?

I tend to run the dust extractor only when sanding as it's located right up against a fence and I don't wish to bother the neighbours with the noise.

Am considering the Triton respirator but haven't seen many woodturners use or endorse it.

A simple method of improving your air quality is to set up cross flow ventilation. Either naturally by taking advantage of the prevailing breeze etc or extraction fans at either end. It does not have to be expensive Bunnies were selling them for $20 or so, two or thee at each end of the shed etc would make a big difference to the air quality and they do not make much noise so neighbours aren't an issue.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

I agree with pretty much all of the above.
    I have an air cleaner that is switched on when I enter the shop and continues running when I've finished, a dust extractor with a pleated filter and a big gulp hood the is used all the time when turning or power carving and a respirator that is only taken of if I plan on leaving the shop immediately.
    I have been using a 3M 7500 series respirator for the last three years and will definitely be buying the same when it's time to replace it.
    The dust-be-gones have their followers but they are not NIOSH approved and are only effective down to 3 microns (according to their website). P2 filters will filter out %95 of particles 0.3 microns and larger and it's the smaller particles that are the dangerous ones.
    Cheers
    Josh

Yep, I agree with the above.
    I have a Dust-be-Gone and for the most it is pretty good, not much chop for sanding dusty timber like redgum ( I still get a red moustache no matter how firm the fit) but it is better that any other passive mask I have tried and it is washable/re-usable so the initial high price ($70 ish) is recouped eventually. I think a coulple of "el cheapo" pedestal fans in suitable places will do wonders as well, if you can, ceiling or wall exhaust fans can assist - leave them running all the time.
    Three wise middle aged monkeys - "see no pot-belly, feel no bald spot, buy no sports car"

Here is a list of toxic woods:

Toxic Woods List

My lathe is about 2 meters at a 45 degree angle from my shed door. I have a 500mm box fan hung in the top of the doorway that I run blowing out when I am turning or sanding. The air flow is from my left rear and across the headstock and out.

I also use a well used linen dinner napkin folded corner to corner and tied over my nose and mouth bandit style. I have a bushy beard, so the cloth works as well or better than a rubber mask.

These two things have almost completely stopped the stuffy, runny, nose and cough. I found a medical ventilator used for sleep apnea in a junk store for less than $10.

I plan to make a supplied air mask using a face shield and about 4 meters of light plastic over spiral hose. I will mount the ventilator upwind of the lathe and put a HEPA filter from an vacuum on the intake.

A small squirrel cage fan would do as well to supply air.

Look at catalogs to see how the and then prowl around flea markets, yard sales, and junk stores. I am amazed at what can be recycled into useful things at great savings in cost.
    So much timber, so little time.

Paul

All of the above, but strenuous exercise can help, too. As well as reducing weight.

George Burns (lived to about 100, IIRC) used to 'joke' about a doctor asking him, "Do you ever cough?"
    Burns replied, "Yes."
    Doctor asked, "Do you ever cough anything up?"
    Burns: "Sure; that's what coughing is for."

Cheers,
    Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast