Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Cheaper via US

Default Cheaper via US

I thought this may help anyone who is in the market for Grandfather clock parts. I have just recently purchased a Hermle 1171.850-114 from the States and after paying GST, but no Customs Duty as we are talking about parts as opposed to a completed clock, I saved myself just over $1000.
    All up, for the movement, shells and pendulum it cost me $1450.00.
    I was a bit worried that I would have problems with the freight and Customs but from order to delivery was six days. Not bad from the centre of US

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

You might have been a bit lucky. Customs take notice when its 1000+

"The training of the eyes to know when an edge is perfectly straight or a surface is flat, free from winding, and straight, is a very important part of a lad's training."

Not luck, fact. I phoned Customs before I started the purchase and was advised that:

Ref no. 9110.11.00 Complete movements, unassembled or partly assembled ( Movement sets) FREE

I was quite happy with that.

Most other gear under $1000 is also free except for alcohol and some other items.

Quote Originally Posted by K>60 View Post
    Not luck, fact. I phoned Customs before I started the purchase and was advised that:

Ref no. 9110.11.00 Complete movements, unassembled or partly assembled ( Movement sets) FREE

I was quite happy with that.

Most other gear under $1000 is also free except for alcohol and some other items.
    Your item is duty free at any price. Duty is one thing but GST at 10% can apply and its collected at the point of entry by Customs. They generally don't worry about GST for items under $1000

Also I'm pleased to see that you got a bargain in the States. This is the only way we can stop the incredible rip offs that some Aussie middle men perpetrate, because they have exclusive agencies and bank on most people not trusting the internet. If enough people do the same, then we may see some prices coming down.

Default maybe

GST definitely you cant avoid. Duty is generally 5% but not all items attract duty.But should duty be payable, the Customs usually don't want to know you if its less the $250 because of the paper work involved etc.

I used to import jewelery from the US and soon learn't to have small bundles sent with a value of less than $250 on any possible duty payable.

The old luxury tax/duty on selected items that we had with the previous system lingers some what. Its this list that still attracts duty, although we have signed a free trade agreement with the US since I stopped importing. This may have changed all the rules again.

But if your really keen the whole customs taxable items list is on their web site, good luck its a massive tome. Easier to give them a ring.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Thanks for your comments. You are definitely right re talking direct by phone to the Customs people. I found the young lady who answered my questions was very helpful and as I was online at the time showed me exactly where to go to find the exact reference required. She also suggested I use post or Fedex as they act as your agents in dealings with the Customs dept. In other words as a broker. This was especially important for me as Sydney was the point of entry whereas I live in WA. As I said before, no duty but GST is collected by Customs for the Government. I might add there was a small extra charge from FedEx for this service but for me , well worth it.