Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default New Lathe for . . .

, check this one out for a small lathe
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Their promo material says that it is "unmatched engineering...." Haven't they seen the VB36, still the best engineered and designed lathe I have ever seen.

Brendan, it is a seppo site, so everything must be taken with a grain of salt and they appear to charging thru the nose for the privilege as well. See the prices of the tools in seppo peso's, they must be rigidige.
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Nah! 's got a bowl lathe to play with now. We have dubbed it the "VB72" cos it cost him 3 slabs of VB. Its got a truck gear box and bloody enormouse face plates. Don't ask me any other technical questions. Its blue is all I know.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Quote Originally Posted by tea lady View Post
    Nah! 's got a bowl lathe to play with now. We have dubbed it the "VB72" cos it cost him 3 slabs of VB. Its got a truck gear box and bloody enormouse face plates. Don't ask me any other technical questions. Its blue is all I know.
    VB72.. he he,good one

Now, if it had a truck motor, that would be cool

Cheers,
    Dave

Hmm, It looks well made and with 3hp its got a lot of grunt and a heavy little blighter as well 700kg+ As the name says a serious lathe
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Here's another yew-beaut Yank lathe:

Robust Woodturning Lathes: 25" American Beauty, Sweet 16 and the Tilt Away Tailstock Attachment

But Pat's right. They like hyperbole over there.

OTOH the Robust toolrests look like good gear.
    Cheers, Ern

Nice units but imagine the cost of bringing a teacher to teach how to use it as no one here has qualified to teach to use it

or

would have to possibly go to USA to learn how to use it

I've read a couple of reviews of the Robust gear - very impressive
    but then again any owner of the new beaut piece of equipment is going to sing it's praises

Has anyone heard of an unhappy stubby owner?
    regards
    Nick
    veni, vidi,
    tornavi
    Without wood it's just ...

I am a proud owner of a Robust American Beauty. 3 hp motor, and a bed extension. I chose it over the Serious, Oneway, and VB36. One reason was the sliding headstock. My lathe sits in a corner, so outboard turning won't work, and I will never bend over the bed of a lathe to turn again. Another factor, and all lathes that have the 3 phase converters can do this, was the willingness of the owner of Robust (Brent English) to help me program the converter to my perameters. More speed and torque in each speed range, and to have it go down to almost 10 rpm for sanding my warped bowls. Most of the 3 phase conversion lathes will shut off at 50 rpm, or the Nova DVR which shuts off at 100 rpm. I was told by the techs from the company that owns Jet and Powermatic (note, the early PM 3520A lathe would go down to almost 0 rpm), that running the motor at those speeds would cause the motor to overheat and fry the electronics. Well, after years of sanding thousands of bowls at very low speeds, I found that the motor runs cooler than when I am turning. When I told them that, they didn't know what to say other than to insist that the motors would overheat.

robo hippy

I was told by the techs from the company that owns Jet and Powermatic (note, the early PM 3520A lathe would go down to almost 0 rpm), that running the motor at those speeds would cause the motor to overheat and fry the electronics.
    Pretty standard advice based on the fact that the motor fan is also is going so slow its ineffectual. For those who have this problem, the fitting of an electric fan that runs at a constant speed and is not wired to the VSD generally solves this problem

Well, after years of sanding thousands of bowls at very low speeds, I found that the motor runs cooler than when I am turning. When I told them that, they didn't know what to say other than to insist that the motors would overheat.
    well done
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by robo hippy View Post
    I am a proud owner of a Robust American Beauty. 3 hp motor, and a bed extension. I chose it over the Serious, Oneway, and VB36. One reason was the sliding headstock. My lathe sits in a corner, so outboard turning won't work, and I will never bend over the bed of a lathe to turn again. Another factor, and all lathes that have the 3 phase converters can do this, was the willingness of the owner of Robust (Brent English) to help me program the converter to my perameters. More speed and torque in each speed range, and to have it go down to almost 10 rpm for sanding my warped bowls. Most of the 3 phase conversion lathes will shut off at 50 rpm, or the Nova DVR which shuts off at 100 rpm. I was told by the techs from the company that owns Jet and Powermatic (note, the early PM 3520A lathe would go down to almost 0 rpm), that running the motor at those speeds would cause the motor to overheat and fry the electronics. Well, after years of sanding thousands of bowls at very low speeds, I found that the motor runs cooler than when I am turning. When I told them that, they didn't know what to say other than to insist that the motors would overheat.

robo hippy
    sounds interesting. Would love to see some pics of you wobbly bowls.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Brendan, it is a seppo site, so everything must be taken with a grain of salt and they appear to charging thru the nose for the privilege as well. See the prices of the tools in seppo peso's, they must be rigidige.

Ya I know what you mean when you see the adverts in wood mags for stubby that say it's "arguably the best lathe in the world"
    It takes an IQ of about 70 for a person to learn to tie a shoe lace. Now! I know why 98% of the population wears flip flops and or slip-ons.

Quote Originally Posted by two fingers View Post
    Ya I know what you mean when you see the adverts in wood mags for stubby that say it's "arguably the best lathe in the world"
    It certainly starts some pretty good arguments.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)