Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Wood Turning shops

Hei Guys,
    Hoping to buy a chuck in the next week or so, probably a VM100.
    Anyone know any tool shops apart from Carbatec that are online - Carbatec have been great but with cash tight I need to compare prices.
    Cheers
    Paul

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Paul,
    As mentioned above or try GPW they are also very good to deal with and very prompt service.
    Regards,

BigPop
    (I never get lost, because everyone tells me where to go!!!)

Paul,

I've used all those that have been recommended and am sure you could trust them, another that is closer to you is Timbecon in Perth.

You'll find that everyone has specials now and again - Technatool in NZ were selling their chucks cheap a while ago too so that might be a source.

Let us know how you get on.

Jamie
    Perhaps it is better to be irresponsible and right, than to be responsible and wrong.
    Winston Churchill

Carba-Tec 9345 4522
    Timbecon 9356 1653
    Southside Woodturning Supplies 9314 2226
    Powertools and Machinary Sales 9272 3844

Hei Barnesy,
    I know of Timbecon and I tend to get small bits from them because they are about 40 minutes (on a round trip) closer than Carbatec.
    Timbecon sell the Nova chuck but not the Vicmarc, although the Nova is about $50 cheaper I think I would rather spend the money once, get the best and be done with it.
    I think with this post I was just curious and wanted to play devils advocate to see how Carbatecs prices compare to others. So far the places I've looked at are the same as Carbatec so I will probably go with them at this stage.
    I have just closed an auction on Ebay, so as soon as I get the money for that I will go and get the chuck - at this stage I think the VM100, I prefer the T-bar operation and I think the 120 would be a bit overkill for an MC900.
    Cheers
    Paul

Paul,

A 120 wont be a bit over kill! It will definately be overkill on the 900. Phone them before you drive all the way to Balcatta to check stock. I have it on authority that since the chinaham chuck has hit the market with the demise of the true blue Bonham ( :mad: ) and the rediculously low prices of the Vicmarc, the Vicmarcs have been selling better than hot cakes!
    You'll enjoy the vl-100............nice piece of gear.

Hei Joe,
    If you'd seen me fly R/C aircraft you would have seen overkill, an ASP 90 on a 45 size low wing and an 80 4 stroke on a 40 size trainer - nearly wiped out a guy with the trainer once, I called take off and he came through low thinking I'd get to the end of the strip and pull up. He needed a change of underwear after I rolled 2 inches and then lifted off vertical. For some reason that aircraft never wore out any wheels though

I'll give em a call and check stock before I come up, for the fun of it I may come up on the bus, I only need three buses each way from my place.

Cheers
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by gatiep
    Paul,

You'll enjoy the vl-100............nice piece of gear.

What he said and then some
    Ruffy - There are only 10 types of people who understand binary, those that do and those that don't.

Default Chuck

Paul,
    I got a Vic 120 on my 900. I thought it was a bit over the top but now aftwr 3 months of turning i now want my next lathe and i can assure you i am glad i wont have to outlay again for another chuck. If you can afford it go the 120.

Teknatool have a special on their chucks now.
    Last edited by Sprog; 8th November 2004 at 01:59 PM.

Hei Guys,
    I thought about the 120 but finances are tight and the extra $35 for the 120 would be a killer (hell I'm catching 3 buses to Carbatec to save the $10 it'd cost me to drive there) and I really do think that the 120 would be overkill on an MC900.
    As for the nova, it may be a good chuck but I've had a long hard look and I think I would rather spend a little bit more and get the Vicmarc.
    Cheers
    Paul