Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Completed some Boxes!! Finally!

Yippee!! i've finally finished some boxes, has taken over a year, but I got there!

First up, Camphor Laurel (as usual) with a truly floating insert lid, corner splines, great colour and I think has ended up being a lovely simple box. of course the CL was as tempermental as usual, as you can see from a slight gap between lid and box on the rhs of the picture but you know how I love my conversations and debates with CL.

Next is Dion's Mackay Cedar I've had for a few years now and finally made two lovely little money boxes. I like the MCedar, but I don't think I want to work with it again as it does affect me, even with full PPE . These are about 2 years overdue for a lady at work, so am unsure if she will still buy them or not. But that's ok. Squiggle tops for use as money boxes. I got a sample pack of some rare earth magnets and used one set for one box. Boy are those magnets strong!! I'll be getting some more of them I think

The second money box doesn't have a lid, but I decided to go with a well-fitting lift out section, as a nod to those awesome puzzle boxes.

A few years ago Soundman sent some mango box pieces my way and some had lovely burn marks which I found intriguing, so they ended up in a sliding lid box, keeping some of the burn marks for highlights. Love working with mango, we shall definitely be seeing more mango boxes from my shed

Lastly is a simple little Myrtle box with Myrtle Burl lid. This was an exercise in straight cuts, good butt joints and my first time working with burl wood. For a little box, it gave me a fair bit of grief, but I won in the end

As usual, all boxes are finished with Ubeaut's Hard Shellac and Trad Wax.

Cheers
    Wendy

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Good things come to those who wait

Nice work Ruffly. My favourite is the squiggle top money box, but they others are very nice too.
    IMHO the brass latch detracts from the CL, a nice wooden latch in, say, jarrah, would look great.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 10x14m shed! I need a new name...

Great work Wendy. I too like the Squiggle box - its just screaming to be touched, examined and opened.

Nathan.

Goodness! 3 boxes already sold at work and now I've only 3 left for the craft show at lunchtime.

The Lady at work who ordered the 2 money boxes nearly cried when she saw them. She'd completely forgotten about them and were a lovely surprise. It was meant to be because one of her sons wanted one that wasn't easy to get into and one of them is definitely not easy to get into

The little myrtle box has sold too. Such a great feeling to see people's reactions that the boxes are exactly what they wanted/needed/were looking for.

Thank you Alex. You are right, the metal latch is a bit dicky - lack of time and good thinking caught me there. Though I did briefly consider wooden latches and hinges, but thought that the focus would be taken away from CL colour and the lid.

That's because I was working on the theory that more than standout features of a box can be too much, eg 1. the CL Grain and Colour, 2. The latch and hinges 3. the shaping of the lid, 4. the splines, 5. arrowheads 6. the difference between the lid insert and edges.

I'd welcome any more comments/discussion on design as it is an area that intrigues me.

Thanks Nathan. That's great to hear, that's the effect I try to get from people

thanks Noel

I'm a little stunned at the moment, I've just sold the remaining 3 boxes

Congratulations on your sales. Great feeling, isn't it.
    Quote Originally Posted by RufflyRustic View Post
    I was working on the theory that more than standout features of a box can be too much, eg 1. the CL Grain and Colour, 2. The latch and hinges 3. the shaping of the lid, 4. the splines, 5. arrowheads 6. the difference between the lid insert and edges.
    I agree, too many features can be too much. I reckon it would look good with a concealed magnetic clasp, and a simple, plain (say jarrah) lifting handle on the lid, that somehow copied the shape of the lid.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Great boxes WendyCongratulations on your creative talents and sales. I agree with the comments on "too many features", in my opinion the camphor box would benefit having concealed hinges and no brass catch but a shaped/carved lift with or without a magnetic catch and contrasting splines. Love the unique design of the cedar money boxes Kerry

Thanks Kerry.

Yes, I see more and more what you mean now Alex. Did you suggest jarrah for the colour or for the strength of the timber when used as a handle? Is that a nescessary question to ponder when making wooden handles?

Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Thanks for posting Wendy. It's good to see you have been spending some of your spare time in the shed!
    I particularly like the squiggle box with the freehand curves. Always good to see something different and making this style as a moneybox makes a great gift. I will definately put that concept on the To Do list.
    The myrtle burl lid in the last box has character, lovely burl.
    And my head I'd be a scratchin'
    While my thoughts were busy hatchin'
    If I only had a brain.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on the sales!
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Did you suggest jarrah for the colour or for the strength of the timber when used as a handle?
    I suggested it mainly because it contrasts well with CL and doesn't usually have a lot of colour variation within a small piece. Lots of other timbers would go well, perhaps silver ash if you wanted a lighter colour.
    Strength has to be considered, but isn't usually a problem in handles like this.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Ah,yes, another lightbulb moment.

How do you go about designing your boxes? Do you work out a plan beforehand, or swing it and see what comes out when you start working with the timber?

The CL box started out as something completely different, to be honest, but as I kept dry fitting it, standing back and looking at it, it just didn't zing at all, until I changed out the sides and shaped the top.

Everytime I learn a bit more, I find so many more gaps in my knowledge and experience, which are fun filling, of course

I'm a little stunned at the moment, I've just sold the remaining 3 boxes

Good on you Wendy, and great work! I too find the squiggly lidded one the most attractive.
    Catch up soon,
    Andy
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast