Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Paper or Plastic

Hi all
    Just got some wet cherry which I am going to wet turn into bowls. I have been searching around for good ways to store wet bowls afterwards to dry. I have got to this stage: 1st coat with end sealer
    2nd collect shavings
    3rd put bowl and shavings in a bag.
    But can anyone tell me whether its better to to use a plastic or paper bags to store in or not to use anything and store on shelf of shed. Any info that can help will help.
    Cheers Skewturn.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I don't bother with end sealer. Just pack in shavings in a box. Some I did put into plastic bags and they went moldy. Which did look pretty good in the end.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

cookie48 is offline Old Fart (my step daughters named me)

From what I hear just put them in an old cardboard box with the shavings. Plastic will make it sweat.

Cardbox full of shavings is the way to go. Mark the weight on it and check the weight weekly. When it has stabilised, finish it off. A microwave is a lot faster, but it will need more care. There have been plenty of discussions here on microwaves, do a search.
    Jim
    Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important...

Thanks for the help. I turned some wet bowls and stuck them in the box with the shavings ( I love the shavings you get with wet bowls) I look forward to seeing the result. I cant try the microwave the wife wont approve.
    Cheers

What you are trying to do is even out the drying process and maybe slow it down a little.

In the past I have simply stuffed the bowl with crumpled news paper and then wrapped it in several layers.

This way you have a clean dry product for packing that wont promote mould or harbour pests.

If the material is prone to mould and you don't want that, drench in a stiff solution of borax.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

With me I paint the outside with BLO and store in cardboard box and keep an eye on it for the thfrist few weeks filling any checks.cracks with CA as the appear.
    Much depends on the type of wood its self as to the best method, Cherry I dont see much of and if I do its dry.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

In the past I would seal the outside with wax, and leave the inside open, then stack in a milk crate full of shavings.

This worked well for me, .

if stored in plastic the moisture cannot escape the container , then you get mould / spalting , depending on the timber involved and the mould spores that infect it.

Jeff
    vk4

Thanks for all the ideas maybe I will try a few pieces each way then see which works bests.
    I didnt know that mould was bad I thought it was just on the surface.
    Cheers Skewturn

When I'm rough turning I'll store in the shavings in a cardboard box. For woods that are known to be prone to splitting (eg. most fruitwoods) I may also give a coat of mobilcer or wax or even plain ol' PVA.

If I'm turning to finished size - which is rarely a good idea with green wood, unless you want it to move - I'll floodcoat with whatever finish I'm planning to use, usually a Danish or Tung Oil. Wait for it to dry (using a moisture meter) and then hand-sand & finish properly.

Whatever you do, avoid anything that seals near 100%. Plastic bags are only good if you'll be taking the blank out every day and wiping away any moisture on the blank/inside the bag. (Not really worth the effort... shavings are better IMHO.)
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc