Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Unhappy Tailstock Lock bolt

I went to move my tailstock along the bed of the Nova 3000 and it felt way to loose so went to tighten it up and it was rocking front to rear. Next thing the plate under side dropped off. Thread is badly damaged and it won't even thread into the plate.

There was not sign of this last week when I was using it to turn a few platters.

I am waiting for a mate to get home who maybe able to repair the thread and of course plate if needed. It won't stop me turning completely bt will make turning between centres impossible till its fixed.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Is it a replaceable part, Ray? I would have thought buying a new bolt would be easier than trying to repair it, or is it the thread in the base plate which is stripped out?
    Don't Just Do It.... Do It HardenFast!!

Regards - Wayne

is it the same as mine werre it tightensup witha fex key ray??
    DANGER!!!!
    I'm Dyslexic Spelling may offend!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardenfast View Post
    Is it a replaceable part, Ray? I would have thought buying a new bolt would be easier than trying to repair it, or is it the thread in the base plate which is stripped out?
    Lower thread has pulled sort of stripped, a thread file maybe a quick fix for now I can do that. In looking at the plate thread its fine but eyes were tired I will be checking it more closely tomorrow.

Thread is unusual Wayne. Not sure if I can obtain a replacement or not will try tomorrow.
    Have a mate who's just retired fitter machinist and is tops
    Shame he was here yesterday and mind you I was using it yesterday prior his arrival and was fine.

Dave no mines the old style, I do believe some fellows were able to upgrade to the later tailstock. Not an option for me right now.

I have hated the way Nova designed this since I got it 2nd hand. I prefer the cam style locks if I had the gear to machine the parts I'd have changed it already.

Hello Wheelinround,
    Just to confirm that this is not an unusual problem with Novas. Whilst I dont have one, our men's shed has had the same problem and we had a new one machined. Generally I think that their locking systems leave a little to be desired, including head stock. Need to check your centres from time to time. I am not knocking Novas, just factually indicating our problems. Drillit.

Quote Originally Posted by Drillit View Post
    Hello Wheelinround,
    Just to confirm that this is not an unusual problem with Novas. Whilst I dont have one, our men's shed has had the same problem and we had a new one machined. Generally I think that their locking systems leave a little to be desired, including head stock. Need to check your centres from time to time. I am not knocking Novas, just factually indicating our problems. Drillit.

Yes must agree Drillit any bolt thread used in this manner would be a worry stretching from over tightening and wear on thread. Oh and I can assure you I do not over tighten and for the amount of use I have given it should not have happened.

I am happy to report I spent the morning with my trusty thread file and have rescued the thread no damage to internal thread of the plate. I removed the flat washer to allow greater purchase also.

Headstock lock is all good ATM I can say prior this fix for tailstock all alignment was spot on. I will be checking prior starting next job, or I should say sooner like this afternoon.

I am back in the swing.

I will be contacting mate still to have a different/new one made up but now no hurry.

Ray, what was the thread?
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Ray, what was the thread?
    Thread file I used was No 14 I can do a check tomorrow its a left hand thread Pat.