Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tail Stock: To Lock or Not to Lock

That is the question.

I was reminded of this dilemna; (ie should we, when spindle turning, lock the spindle) when I had Damo (work experience student) with me. He had obviously had some woodturning instruction from school and was always locking the spindle on the tail stock. I don't as a general rule. I have never found the need to; never thought it necessary.

So what do others do. And if you do lock the spindle, why? Has anyone had some excitement because they didn't.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I think it must depend on the lathe. On my Vicmarc I have rarely found it necssary. When I demonstrate on the clubs oldish midi woodfast,if I don't lock it, it comes loose.
    Ted

Depends on circumstances and condition of quill.

Some clubs have such worn ones that if you don't lock it they move sideways.

If there is vibration I lock the quill but if all is running well I don't bother.

I always tell students to lock it.

I'm with on this one (again).

If you position the handle on the tailstock hand wheel in the 1 o'clock to 5 o'clock position the weight of the handle will maintain tension on the work without locking the quill.

If you position it on the other side of the handwheel it can work loose as the handle drops anticlockwise to the 6 o'clock position.

If it's vibrating lock it up.

Cheers

Tim
    Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't give a stuff so I don't turn at all.

My MC900, will loosen off , regardless of what I am turning unless I lock the spindle, then these are an economy lathe, but I was always taught to lock the spindle , for safety.

Jeff
    vk4

Default lock or not to lock

I always lock the spindle except when drilling of course but that's because i don't like flying bits of timber trying to attack me .
    insanity is a state of mind if you don't mind it does not matter.

FWIW I was trained up in metal working lathes as a young un and have always locked the tailstock and spindle, wood or metal lathe. Never thought to do otherwise.

Regards
    SWK

Quote Originally Posted by rodent View Post
    I always lock the spindle except when drilling of course but that's because i don't like flying bits of timber trying to attack me .
    AGREED!!

I do lots of out of balance bowl blanks. Sometimes even at the slowest speed the lathe and bench are shaking like a dog pooping peach seeds. I lock everything and check twice, run the lathe standing to the side, re tighten and continue.
    So much timber, so little time.

Paul

Like everyone else I'm with .

When I got my new lathe it only had on rest (14") so small pieces meant I had the quill well extended, and boy could it vibrate without being locked.

Now I've had a couple of shorter ones made it's not so important, but out of balance pieces, I lock down, just to be sure.
    Dragonfly
    No-one suspects the dragonfly!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Timber Turner View Post
    If you position the handle on the tailstock hand wheel in the 1 o'clock to 5 o'clock position the weight of the handle will maintain tension on the work without locking the quill.

If you position it on the other side of the handwheel it can work loose as the handle drops anticlockwise to the 6 o'clock position.

If it's vibrating lock it up.

Cheers

Tim
    Very interesting point; thanks TtTT

Also thanks to all the others that responded. It appears from these that the main reason the quill might back off is due to vibration of the lathe. That makes sense to me. Also, perhaps the quality of the lathe/quill. I know some lathes have better cut threads on the quill than others.

Why not lock it?
    Regards Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Gilbert View Post
    Why not lock it?
    Regards Rod.
    In my case it is speed.

We are production turners and every second that you save is money in the bank. Having to move or undo something costs time.

Our timber is usually all machined and evenly weighted so vibration is generally not an issue.

On the larger stuff the lock is always put in and I advise all others to do the same.

A case of do as I say not as I do.

Default my 2bobs worth

Some clubs have such worn ones that if you don't lock it they move sideways.
    If there is vibration I lock the quill but if all is running well I don't bother.

I agree, but one of the reasons for a quill lock is to prevent any movment during operation and one of the fastest ways to increase your slop in the quill is to turn with it unlocked, Ok it will take a fair while for this to occur. But even if you have a nice piece running true and in balance, As your turning you will apply side pressure to the quill and vibration if only fine vibration. As I mentioned it wont happen over night but it will happen, on engineering lathes you always lock the spindle with centre turning mainly for accuracy but also to prevent damage to the quill.

We are production turners and every second that you save is money in the bank. Having to move or undo something costs time.

This is just a simple commercial decision, time is money versus a small amount of wear, time wins out everytime. Anyway by the time the quill is stuffed several other parts will be on the way out and the lathe has reached its use by date.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

In my case sometimes I do some times I don't (maybe because I forget to) Sometimes I will get a vibration so I will go through all the potential places to stop it only to find a little nip up of the tail stock handle will fix it. I don't think there is a right or wrong its just depends on what you feel comfortable with. Just to off set your thinking.....when you use a metal cut off saw.....do you clamp the piece being cut or hold on to the offcut until you complete the cut???? Being a "woodman first" I mostly hold the the steel by hand without using the vice. Only sometimes I have had a jamb up but so far (30 plus years) I have never had a really dangerous problem. What do others do?
    Just do it!

Kind regards Rod

As with all things it is about safety.

There is generally some form of vibration on the lathe and it does not take much for the quill to back of slightly and the live centre looses drive then you get this peice spiraling to you.

It is more common with those that just use a cone centre as this is the least amount of grip.

The safer way is to use a cup centre or a pin and ring style or even safer is the steb centre as the spring loaded pin give a bit more drive when things come loose.

So lock the tailstock in position then adjust the quill and tighten, run for a moment and nip up as some timbers with the lateral load embed themselves a bit more in the spur drive and this them gives the tailstock less running pressure.

This brings us to the next question on how to use the spur drive properly.
    We find that most people put the spur drive into the headstock and rely on tailstock pressure, this is not enough for a good purchase on the wood.

It is best to have a second spur drive that you use as a punch off the lathe.
    You mark your centre then use your spare spur drive as a punch and hit the end of the spur drive into the end of the peice of wood with a good thump, this is why it is your spare drive as over time the taper will mishape slightly and be of no use the the headstock taper. This gives you deeper indents than just using tailstock pressure.
    You then bring the peice of wood to the lathe and locate the wood into the marks left by the spur drive and then bring up the tailstock, this gives maximum insertion in the wood and you are not relying on the tailstock to push into the wood.

This is what safety is all about and anyone teaching should be puting safety first before you start turning.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast