Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default bolting down a lathe

hi guys ,
    this might seem a dumb question but .........i will ask
    anyway,what would be the best way to anchor my lathe to
    the concrete floor in my shed,i tried some dyna bolts on the
    weekend but were not very successful,ruined 2 in the process
    and the other 2 were not real good,any tips on what to use!!!!!!!!
    cheers smiife

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I suggest Ramset AnkaScrew 12mmx90mm
    DANGER!!!!
    I'm Dyslexic Spelling may offend!!!!!

Just out of interest, what type and size did you use?
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

I have had good luck in sound concrete with the Red Head brand, see:

http://imagethumbnails.milo.com/024/...54_trimmed.jpg

You could also drill the hole, blow out dust, and epoxy in allthread. That would take care of not so good concrete.

The fastener stores here have all sorts of solutions at all sorts of prices.

Depending on the lathe and stand, put it on leveling screws and build a shelf low down and put on weight, dead auto batteries, buckets of sand or gravel, concrete blocks, engine block, etc.
    So much timber, so little time.

Paul

I have had great success bolting other things to concrete using Chemiweld.

This is an Epoxy type compound available at Bunnies and other hardware stores.

Use a rotary hammer drill to do your holes, make 'em deep and use threaded rod.

Blow ALL dust from the holes before setting the threaded rod.

hi guys,
    thanks for your suggestions,
    i did use 10mm x100mm dyna bolts,and like i said 2 of them stuffed up!!!!!!!!
    so i might go back to the drawing board and start again, i might try the chemical ones

next question..............HOW DO I GET THE STUFFED ONES OUT
    easier said than done i would imagine
    cheers smiife

To get the old ones out, first you need to get the sleeves out. If you put them in at the correct depth - and they're not one of the ones that has two sleeves (the actual anchor sleeve plus one which is basically a loooong washer) - then a pair of needle nose pliers should do the job.

Otherwise, you may need to either drill down - or chip out - next to the hole so you can use a screwdriver or similar probe to slowly lever out the sleeve(s). In this case, you'd be better off drilling new holes; you can chemset a thread into the old holes but you'd use double the amount and it's not really designed as a gap filler.

If drilling new holes, I'd leave the buggered bolts in place (maybe add a dab of chemset around the top to glue 'em in) and cut off anything above ground height with an angle grinder. Much easier.

G'luck with whatever you do!
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!! View Post
    To get the old ones out, first you need to get the sleeves out. If you put them in at the correct depth - and they're not one of the ones that has two sleeves (the actual anchor sleeve plus one which is basically a loooong washer) - then a pair of needle nose pliers should do the job.

Otherwise, you may need to either drill down - or chip out - next to the hole so you can use a screwdriver or similar probe to slowly lever out the sleeve(s). In this case, you'd be better off drilling new holes; you can chemset a thread into the old holes but you'd use double the amount and it's not really designed as a gap filler.

If drilling new holes, I'd leave the buggered bolts in place (maybe add a dab of chemset around the top to glue 'em in) and cut off anything above ground height with an angle grinder. Much easier.

G'luck with whatever you do!
    thanks for the quick reply skew
    i will give that a go on the weekend
    cheers smiife

Quote Originally Posted by smiife View Post
    hi guys,
    thanks for your suggestions,
    i did use 10mm x100mm dyna bolts,and like i said 2 of them stuffed up!!!!!!!!
    so i might go back to the drawing board and start again, i might try the chemical ones

next question..............HOW DO I GET THE STUFFED ONES OUT
    easier said than done i would imagine
    cheers smiife
    If you have drilled close to the bottom of your concrete slab, take a suitable drift and drive the bad bolts through.

If you have an inch or so of bolt sticking out a few good whacks with a 3 pound hammer should drive them down, then follow with the drift.
    So much timber, so little time.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul39 View Post
    If you have drilled close to the bottom of your concrete slab, take a suitable drift and drive the bad bolts through.

If you have an inch or so of bolt sticking out a few good whacks with a 3 pound hammer should drive them down, then follow with the drift.

thanks for the suggestion paul i will give that a go too!!
    cheers smiife

Quote Originally Posted by Paul39 View Post

There is little that bests the persuasive power of a 3lb hammer!!

10lbs is better!!!

The only problem with a big hammer is it automatically precludes reusing the holes for chemset & thread.

And if the conc is - for some odd reason - thick enough that the bolt won't punch through or there's rebar in the way it'll also mushroom the end of the dynabolt, making it near impossible to get it out any other way short of of chipping out a large enough hole to get an angle-grinder in. (DAMHIKT. )

Ackershully, I favour a 5lb hammer... it's normally how I'd do it too. Quicker than getting the old bolt out, if you don't want to re-use the hole. But I thought I'd give the more reliable method rather than the normally quicker, simpler method - with a whole list of caveats.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Exclamation

Been down that track Skew! Results were not pretty!

Thanks for your post Smiife, makes me feel better about all the dyno's I've managed to stuff up in the past

On my current lathe I placed some heavy grade rubber strips under the feet of the lathe to assist with vibration absorbtion and "trapped" each leg with a steel plate (each with slight cupping) dyno'd into the concrete. I'm pretty happy with the end result as it has eliminated both movement and vibration through the machine/concrete.
    Cheers
    Phily

Up here in the great white north, we generally have heat lines running through our floors if they are concrete. I build a subbase out of timber or plywood and silicone it to the floor and lag screw to that. No holes in the floor and if you want to relocate you can peel it up with a wrecking bar or two. The silicone doesnt rip up the concrete as a glue would and it holds like a damn. Used it on the the old Wadkin and when I built an addition to the shop for the new Titan used it again. Nothing moves and if you need to relocate no problems and no holes in your slabs or anchor bolts to cut off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast