Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Remodeling

Default Remodeling

G'day
    About six or seven years ago, I turned this Sally wattle vase . It's about 210mm high by 130mm diam.It has been sitting on a shelf where I see it frequently and over the years my idea of form has changed (improved ?).I think the base looks too heavy and dominent , so I decided to modify it.
    I turned up a jam chuck to take the neck ,then mounted it between centres and turned a tennon on the foot . I decided that while I was at it ,I'd take a bit of meat out of the inside to reduce the weight . My hollowing equipment has improved somewhat since I made this vase .
    Next I turned up a cone to fit the neck and with it mounted between centres ,I reshaped it so's the wall of the vase extends into the tennon and I ended up with a smaller base .
    After sanding , I finished with sanding sealer and about four coats of DO .I'm not sure what my finishing proceedure was the first time , but I ended up with a much better finish this time.
    Do you think it's an improvement?
    Ted
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ted,

assuming the second photo is the 'new and improved' then I think it is a change for the better

cheers

Mick

Looks better.
    I have a few of my beginner turnings gathering dust but have so far left them alone to remind me of progress made. However if I were to have a shortage of turning wood then I would look at them in a different way.
    Regards
    John

Quote Originally Posted by turnerted View Post
    G'day
    About six or seven years ago, I turned this Sally wattle vase . It's about 210mm high by 130mm diam.It has been sitting on a shelf where I see it frequently and over the years my idea of form has changed (improved ?).I think the base looks too heavy and dominent , so I decided to modify it.
    I turned up a jam chuck to take the neck ,then mounted it between centres and turned a tennon on the foot . I decided that while I was at it ,I'd take a bit of meat out of the inside to reduce the weight . My hollowing equipment has improved somewhat since I made this vase .
    Next I turned up a cone to fit the neck and with it mounted between centres ,I reshaped it so's the wall of the vase extends into the tennon and I ended up with a smaller base .
    After sanding , I finished with sanding sealer and about four coats of DO .I'm not sure what my finishing proceedure was the first time , but I ended up with a much better finish this time.
    Do you think it's an improvement?
    Ted
    Hi ted,
    Yes, a definite Improvement, I have tried sally wattle a few
    times , nice timber but mine have always split very badly
    so you have done very well, my only comment would be the
    foot needs to be a bit more delicate, maybe thinner !
    Other wise very nice, great reno ,!
    Cheers smiife

Very nice remodel! Think I have a few bowls that could re-readturned.
    I also used to have chunky design at the start, partly because most of the turning I did was structural posts.
    very nice job you have done.

Thanks for the comments.
    Ted

It is a big improvement. Well done.

Did you consider reducing or getting rid of the foot? I personally like simple shapes and having no base is less complex.
    Graeme

Out of the two photos I prefer the one with the larger foot at the base, and about 1/3 shorter.

I also have several pieces of my early projects and I would love to remount to reshape. Maybe one day.

Interesting to get the feedback . The picture on the left is the returned version.
    Ted

Mobyturns is offline In An Instant Your Life Can Change Forever

Quote Originally Posted by mick59wests View Post
    Ted,

assuming the second photo is the 'new and improved' then I think it is a change for the better

cheers

Mick
    Mick I had to laugh as I made the same assumption first off, that the second photo was the "improved" version until I looked closer and though maybe Ted has one of these reversing lathes -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYvcHS2XPU0
    Mobyturns

In An Instant Your Life CanChange Forever