Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Dog Bone Chest Handles

Unfortunately I don't own a lathe, as at the present time I don't have the available space. I mainly work with hand tools and I am currently making a small wooden tool chest and wonder whether anyone could assist me with making and supplying a pair of what are commonly called "Dog Bone Chest Lifts" that I can attach to each end of the chest for a "old school look". This chest is a trial run to sort out any problems with a view to making a full sized chest. Here is a link to the sort of thing I am after http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...ne-chest-lifts . I will have to supply some measurements to ensure the handles fit the chest and the turned center section of the handles need to fit my hand. It is a small project and I would be happy to meet the reasonable costs of materials and time. The timber used doesn't have to be anything special. If anyone is interested in helping out please PM me.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Something like that could be made without a lathe. Cut the shape of the supports and drill them to suit the size dowell required.
    What state/territory are you in?
    Kryn
    To grow old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Thanks Kryn, that is a great suggestion and one that I had considered. However it is not really what I am looking to achieve in this instance. I am in NSW.

Default PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Wirraway View Post
    Unfortunately I don't own a lathe, as at the present time I don't have the available space. I mainly work with hand tools and I am currently making a small wooden tool chest and wonder whether anyone could assist me with making and supplying a pair of what are commonly called "Dog Bone Chest Lifts" that I can attach to each end of the chest for a "old school look". This chest is a trial run to sort out any problems with a view to making a full sized chest. Here is a link to the sort of thing I am after http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...ne-chest-lifts . I will have to supply some measurements to ensure the handles fit the chest and the turned center section of the handles need to fit my hand. It is a small project and I would be happy to meet the reasonable costs of materials and time. The timber used doesn't have to be anything special. If anyone is interested in helping out please PM me.
    Sent you a PM

Just advising that I sent you a PM.

just looking at the way those handles are made ...... they wont be very strong, as they depend on crossgrain strength of the timber
    cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

I made a set for a chest I made for a mate which were not difficult and could be done similar without a lathe.

Pittwater Pete
    Living the dream.

Thanks Soundman. Appreciate your thoughts on this. I am prepared to give them a go and see how they work out. In this initial project they will not need to support much weight.

Hi Pete,

Those handles look magnificent, especially with the contrasting timber. Certainly food for thought.

If any woden handles in the forms shown are to achieve reasonable strength the grain needs to be cross pinned with the fasteners.

this means that there has to be some bulk of wood to support the round part of the handle.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Certainly makes sense. Thanks again for the advice. It is appreciated.