Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone using a Laguna REVO 18-36?

I'm moving back to the U.S. soon, and I've all but settled on a Laguna REVO 18-36 lathe.

Right now I have a 2HP 1642 lathe. I can't live without the EVS ever again. I'm also super happy with the weight and power of the lathe, as well as the bed length. Unfortunately that one is 50Hz power so it's destined to stay in Australia.

The Laguna will cause me to lose a bit of bed length, but by adding the extension if necessary, I will end up gaining some. I'm also gaining two inches of bowl diameter, which is good, because I've had the 16er maxed out a few times.

So I guess I'm looking for anyone who can comment on this lathe. It seems to be at the top of its class price-wise. Has anyone used it and liked it? Hated it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,
    Luke

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Shoot a message to dave TTC, pretty sure that's the rig he is sporting at the moment (well, the most recent and probably the only one he owns thst was made this -or the last- century)
    "All the gear and no idea"

Can't comment on the laguna - but I say grab yourself a vicmarc while you're here, if you're shipping a container back home anyway . I reckon there's a reasonable chance vicmarc could even do you one with a US spindle thread...

Quote Originally Posted by rtyuiop View Post
    Can't comment on the laguna - but I say grab yourself a vicmarc while you're here, if you're shipping a container back home anyway . I reckon there's a reasonable chance vicmarc could even do you one with a US spindle thread...
    Even with the conversion rate, a VL200, which is the comparable model, costs more than I want to spend on a lathe. I have enjoyed using the Vicmarc lathes I've used in the past, but let's be honest here... You're paying 1200-1500 dollars JUST for the fact that it's made here and not in China (he said, knowing this wouldn't end well). Yes, they're great. Yes, they're better than most Chinese lathes. Yes, I would prefer to support a smaller scale operation that pays people a living wage. (I encourage everyone to read those last three sentences at least twice while you take some deep breaths). But I'm looking at a 9000 mile move involving the world's largest ocean, so cost is, unfortunately, a major factor.

Plus, I feel like I've done the whole song and dance of owning machinery that comes from an overseas based company and I don't want to unnecessarily put myself in that position again. Laguna, while outsourcing their manufacture, is still based Stateside.

And now I wait for inevitable derailing of my entire thread because I said something borderline negative about Vicmarc...

Hi Luke
    I have the Revo 18-36,only for a month,so far very pleased with the unit.I also have the Nova 3000 so the step up in everything is substantial.It is a pleasure to use.
    Good luck with your return home and enjoy the timber you are taking with you.
    Cheers
    Gidgee1

All true! Sorry, didn't mean to start a potential derailment. Hopefully it doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by rtyuiop View Post
    All true! Sorry, didn't mean to start a potential derailment. Hopefully it doesn't happen.
    Would be my fault, not yours. Nonetheless I've copped it in the past for saying even less than I did there, haha. People love Vicmarc! Believe me, if I could afford it I'd have one. FWIW I considered that option but the price and fact that it's an Aus-based company were the tipping points

Cheers,
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by gidgee 1 View Post
    Hi Luke
    I have the Revo 18-36,only for a month,so far very pleased with the unit.I also have the Nova 3000 so the step up in everything is substantial.It is a pleasure to use.
    Good luck with your return home and enjoy the timber you are taking with you.
    Cheers
    Gidgee1
    Thanks for that, gidgee. Just out of curiosity, what kind of turning do you do?

My range is pretty broad. In the past year I've mostly used it for tool handles and furniture parts, but I occasionally make a lengthy departure from furniture and do some serious faceplate turning. With a big move coming up, I expect I will be turning some bowls and plates for our new house.

Cheers,
    Luke

Luke
    I do a varied range of turning,not a lot of long spindle turning and these days I rarely turn max diameter.Have been concentrating more on segmented turning of late.
    If you do buy the Revo ,before you put the wheels on,check out how much of a trip hazard they may be.
    Cheers
    Gidgee 1

Quote Originally Posted by gidgee 1 View Post
    Luke
    If you do buy the Revo ,before you put the wheels on,check out how much of a trip hazard they may be.
    Cheers
    Gidgee 1
    I've thought about this... The way I see it, the thing has five major, heavy parts. Two leg assemblies, the bed ways, the headstock, and the tailstock. Unless it's drastically heavier than my current lathe, which is very similar size-wise, then it can be moved fairly easily in a passenger car by one able-bodied person who disassembles it (I know mine can).

So I reckon the wheels are unnecessary. I have no reason to move the lathe around the shop on a regular basis, so it's likely to go from one fixed position in a workshop to the next, whenever I move again. If I had to move it for some reason, I can just "walk" it like I do the one I have now.

For this reason, I'll likely forego the mobility upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Maddux View Post
    I'm moving back to the U.S. soon, and I've all but settled on a Laguna REVO 18-36 lathe.

Right now I have a 2HP 1642 lathe. I can't live without the EVS ever again. I'm also super happy with the weight and power of the lathe, as well as the bed length. Unfortunately that one is 50Hz power so it's destined to stay in Australia.

Cheers,
    Luke
    Assuming the input to your existing lathe is 240 volts single phase, it should work fine here. Ask the maker of the lathe to be sure. If you have other reasons to buy a new lathe, that is OK too.
    So much timber, so little time.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Paul39 View Post
    Assuming the input to your existing lathe is 240 volts single phase, it should work fine here. Ask the maker of the lathe to be sure. If you have other reasons to buy a new lathe, that is OK too.
    Hi Paul,

It's about frequency. Australia uses 50Hz power while, in the US, we use 60Hz. Because the rotational speed of an induction motor is directly proportional to frequency, it's just not possible to run an Australian induction motor on a US power supply without bad things happening.

At least that is what I've read and been told. Can you comment on whether or not that is correct?

Cheers,
    Luke

I'm not sure I'm following this correctly but you are planning on having 240/220V in your new workshop? Here it isn't an issue but most US homes need an expensive electrical upgrade to get 240/220V into a workshop. So, if you do plan to put in 240/220V, then, how much is the Laguna going to cost you compared to other lathes here? I presume you are going to ship your stuff and a lathe, when disassembled, doesn't take up that much space so it would be a minor impact, if any, on your shipping. It is worth checking into the shipping costs with some of the moving companies before deciding if you buy here or buy there. Shipping a few boxes can cost you more than shipping a full container. The shipping companies can estimate your volume and my experience with them is that they can be very accurate. If you are shipping less than a full container then buying state-side is probably going to work out cheaper. From the little I have looked, the Laguna 18-36 looks like it would cost US$2499 (equivalent of AU$3390) in the US. If I'm not mistaken, the VL200 is about that price. So, if I was making that decision, it would come down to a question of how I was shipping my stuff and if the lathe would add anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TongueTied View Post
    I'm not sure I'm following this correctly but you are planning on having 240/220V in your new workshop? Here it isn't an issue but most US homes need an expensive electrical upgrade to get 240/220V into a workshop. So, if you do plan to put in 240/220V, then, how much is the Laguna going to cost you compared to other lathes here? I presume you are going to ship your stuff and a lathe, when disassembled, doesn't take up that much space so it would be a minor impact, if any, on your shipping. It is worth checking into the shipping costs with some of the moving companies before deciding if you buy here or buy there. Shipping a few boxes can cost you more than shipping a full container. The shipping companies can estimate your volume and my experience with them is that they can be very accurate. If you are shipping less than a full container then buying state-side is probably going to work out cheaper. From the little I have looked, the Laguna 18-36 looks like it would cost US$2499 (equivalent of AU$3390) in the US. If I'm not mistaken, the VL200 is about that price. So, if I was making that decision, it would come down to a question of how I was shipping my stuff and if the lathe would add anything.
    We're doing an LCL (less than container load) shipment, so the lathe will add cost there.

I would need the VL200 with the long bed, which I believe was around AU$4400. The Laguna also uses the same thread as my machine which is a savings of around $80 - 100 there (three scroll chuck refits).

So the VL200 would, without a doubt, add a considerable amount of cost. I would estimate US$1000 or more.

I had better don my bullet proof vest for this... but I'm also not necessarily convinced it would functionally be any better. I've really read nothing but good things about the REVO 18-36. I think the VL200, from memory, has a 1.75HP motor as well, compared to the Laguna's 2HP. I've heard the whole "Chinese horsepower vs Australian horsepower" argument but I've been rocking two Chinese horses for a while and they have served me well. Plus it has extra swing and can accommodate outboard turning up to 32" diameter.

The VL200 LB seem to range from $2400 to $5900 depending on the bells and whistles. But, since you are shipping less than a container load, I'd say wait until you get to the US before you buy. One thing that probably isn't important with either the Vicmarc or the Laguna is the warranty. Neither is going to give you trouble but if something does go wrong, having bought in the US when you are living there, you will be able to claim locally. I know both machines are very reliable but the peace of mind may be worth waiting till you get state-side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast