Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thread: Newsgroup

Unhappy Newsgroup

Can anyone help me with this? I used to participate in the rec.crafts.woodturning newsgroup using a system I can't remember the name of, that was bought out by some company, so i switched to deja.com. Now it's been bought out by Google (!) and no longer allows newsgroup contributions! Can anyone suggest a good way to participate in that newsgroup? I can't do it through Outlook etc. as my ISP doesn't have an NN..? server! Thanks, anyone!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hello,

Here's one that I use once in a while...
    http://www.mailgate.org/rec/rec.crafts.woodturning/

Best,
    Dave

------------------
    http://www.bowlturner.com

Talking

Thanks Dave, that's great!

Cool

You're excused doorstop, in fact, I'm happy to excuse all your osities. There are thousands of newsgroups, covering just about anything e.g., the `I hate Enya' newsgroup, or `Coca Cola collectors' newsgroup, etc. There's one called rec.crafts.woodturning, that has woodturners from all over the world contributing to it, and it's very good. The newsgroup is a bit like this bulletin board but it isn't managed like the bulletin board. No, I don't mean it's managed properly, I mean it isn't managed at all! You need to access a website that lets you read messages and contribute, just like the BB, but there is no editor. I'll use the website recommended above until I find a better one. I suggest you check it out.

Question

I always thought you used an email program such as outlook to recieve messages from newsgroups???? Not a webpage.

Unhappy

Shane, you can use Outlook if your ISP has a dedicated server for newsgroups, called an NNTP server, or something like that. Otherwise, I think you have to access newsgroups through a website such as Mailgate. I freely admit, by the way, that I know hardly anything about all this computer bizzo but this is what I've had to do.

Thumbs up

Argh, well there you go! I thought there had to be a better or different way to access news groups!