Thread: Nutray

Default Nutray

10" Walnut
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

That is one good looking platter, well turned good grain and colour!!

I have only ever turned one piece of walnut and would like to try more. Found it good to work and I was able to get it remarkably thin.

Nup, don't like it, I love it!! A very nice tray indeed. I would try something like this but fear of ballsing up an expensive piece timber holds me back.

Thank you very much guys; can you get Walnut down under? Does it even grow there?

We have a native species, Queensland Walnut (Endiandra palmerstonii) and European Walnut (Juglans regia) that grow here. Black Walnut (Juglans nigra) is imported as processed timber.

I've turned a few peices of the Black Walnut, turns like butter and finishes like a mirror. Euro Walnut turns easily, a more pale brown colouring.

Queensland Walnut is a different kettle of fish. it is highly abrasive, due to the silica content. I went thru 10 sharp tools in 10 minutes before resorting to carbide.

Qld Walnut Blowout..jpg

It failed along two spalting lines at about 1000 rpm. it was spinning nicely until it decided to go bang!
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Default Nut tray in Walnut

Wow
    That is a very professionally turned and finished bowl / nut tray.
    You have done a fantastic job on it, well done!!!!

I have a friend over here who imported a Cooksaw from the USA, lot of blank space in the sea container with it so the cavities were filled with Maple and Black Walnut. I was lucky to score a few pieces, it turns wonderfully, I mostly make pens from it, but very popular
    Sincerely
    Willy
    jarrahland

Quote Originally Posted by Willy Nelson View Post
    Wow
    That is a very professionally turned and finished bowl / nut tray.
    You have done a fantastic job on it, well done!!!!

I have a friend over here who imported a Cooksaw from the USA, lot of blank space in the sea container with it so the cavities were filled with Maple and Black Walnut. I was lucky to score a few pieces, it turns wonderfully, I mostly make pens from it, but very popular
    Sincerely
    Willy
    jarrahland
    Thank you very much Willy; are you talking about the portable saw mill they make?

Lovely piece of work. I like the shape a lot. Well done.

There should be some European walnut available in Tasmania in the future as they grow them there in plantations, and many old houses had them from plantings in the 19th century - I had an enormous tree in my backyard when I lived there. The tree died from unknown causes at about 120 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthorrhoeas View Post
    Lovely piece of work. I like the shape a lot. Well done.

There should be some European walnut available in Tasmania in the future as they grow them there in plantations, and many old houses had them from plantings in the 19th century - I had an enormous tree in my backyard when I lived there. The tree died from unknown causes at about 120 years old.
    I had no idea there was Walnut down under thanks for all the info, and thanks for the likes on the piece as well.

Chips rapidly asked for photos of this saw; I'm not sure this is the one Willy was talking about here's a link for there site as well.
    MP-32 Portable Sawmill
    Attached Images Attached Images