Default First natural edge bowl

Recently I purchased a good-sized root-cone/stump of Western Australian grasstree, Xanthorrhoea preissii, from forums member Dusteater. I had a strong idea what I would make out of it - my first natural-edge bowl. It was not too difficult to see the possibilities with this one. Here it is:
    Xanthorrhoea preissii natural edge bowl 4 March 2018 from side flash.JPGXanthorrhoea preissii natural edge bowl 4 March 2018 from above.JPG

At this stage it is unfinished - simply sanded/burnished to 800 grit inside and left untouched outside. I will probably use shellawax glow on the inside but I'm thinking about it for a while. I don't want to darken it too much. It would be great to seal the outside while retaining the natural look but have no idea whether anything would do that. Any suggestions?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Considering the makeup of the grasstree you have done well. As for finish, I'd be using sprayed Clear Car Lacquer
    Neil

I would be very careful turning grass tree.
    Our club in WA has banned members from turning them as there is a perceived increased risk as a consequence of the dust from them. Apparently the dust is very toxic, perhaps cancerous. I believe the dust particles have a double hook. I have not turned them for this reason.

So, in summary, make sure you wear appropriate PPE
    Sincerely
    Willy

Some nicely done pieces here David . Jack de Vos - Grass Tree Vessels

Strange look to it for sure, but you succeeded in bringing it to completion. Good job. Thanks.
    I looked at the link, and the live plant looks somewhat like out Yuccas here in the South Western USA. ......... Jerry (in Tucson)USA

Thanks David,

I have looked at Jack de Vos work before and was quite keen on purchasing a couple - until I found the prices! They are wonderful artworks compared to my work, but out of my range price-wise as well as skill-wise.

David

Hi Jerry,

Thanks. Xanthorrhoea​ are in fact related (distantly) to Yuccas according to the "experts".

Thanks dai,

do you think a spray can (rattle can) would do the trick? I do not have spray equipment.
    david

Thanks Willy,

I did a PhD on Xanthorrhoea including some chemical work so I do have some understanding of their make-up. However, I had not heard that turning them was a high risk. I always do use PPE, with a dust extractor and big fan running as well as a good dust mask, so should be OK, but I will now be doubly careful.
    David
    Last edited by Xanthorrhoeas; 5th March 2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typos

One of those "ödd"species that only the brave dare to turn, so lots of brownie points to you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthorrhoeas View Post

At this stage it is unfinished - simply sanded/burnished to 800 grit inside and left untouched outside. I will probably use shellawax glow on the inside but I'm thinking about it for a while. I don't want to darken it too much. It would be great to seal the outside while retaining the natural look but have no idea whether anything would do that. Any suggestions?
    I have sealed vases made from rough weathered fence posts with tung oil applied with a brush. I dip, wipe to get excess off and poke, poke, poke, to get the oil down in the creases and cracks. Polyurethane or Danish Oil would do as well. Also the spray on stuff.

Nice unusual piece.
    So much timber, so little time.

Paul

I just use danish oil on them .
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthorrhoeas View Post
    Thanks dai,

do you think a spray can (rattle can) would do the trick? I do not have spray equipment.
    david
    I have tried a few rattle cans but they were no where near the same as a spray gun for gloss. Satin is ok, but with Gloss, I couldn't get the finish I wanted straight from the can. You could build up a heap of layers, then wet sand back to smooth (1200 grit) then buff. I sometimes need to do this approach with my spray gun anyway due to over-spray, spheres are a perfect example (impossible to get a full wet coat all over).
    Neil