Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default HELP!!! Green jacaranda chunks

It's been a while, i have been concentrating on making glass beads for my wifes jewellry and the lathe has been very quiet... also as i said a while ago i am still in the process of building a new shed. It's only been 6 months! Money is a bit thin on the ground.

ANYWAY

My question is> What can i put on the exposed ends of the freshly cut Jacaranda (kindly given to me from next door) to stop it from cracking before i can get to turn it? Preferably something cheap and easy.
    Should i rough it it into blanks first or will it be ok in the chunkier form.

Cheers Haemish (Sutherland, Sydney)

P.S. There is a pic of the timber attached, my size 11 is at the front to give you a rough estimate of the sizes of timber!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default sealant

Haemish

You can try any old oil paint you have lying around or varnish. Or your can use polystyrene melted down with turps this is about as cheap as it gets.
    But beware Bunnys have some sort of cheapo turps now that does not melt styrene foam. I just bought 5 litres and it did not work, I ran out in the middle of making batch up. :mad: The brand was Sparko made in Queensland., you wont need much, maybe a litre would do it.
    Mix it up till its thick 'n gooey spread it around with a spatula
    hughie.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Haemish - what Hughie said. Should be done ASAP. I would also add that the logs should be sawn in half, length wise through the pith. Cracking/splitting will almost always start from the pith of the log and if this can be removed, chances of cracking lessen.
    I have used cheap, thick bitumastic / bituminous paint to coat log ends with minimal splitting occuring (Hughie's polystyrene/turps method would be cheaper if you have some old polystyrene hanging around).
    Have used quite a bit of Jacaranda - it is quite a plain wood but can have some lovely grain - also turns real easy. Try some green (rough turn) if you get a chance - real fun to see those shavings fly.
    Cheers,
    Andy

"There's more wisdom gained in listening than in speaking"