Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dust protection

Unhappy Dust protection

Everyone seems to recommend those really expensive full-shield type dust masks that blow air into your face. Is there any reason why the MUCH CHEAPER cartridge type respirators can't offer similar protection? Any advice would be greatly appreciated; I simply don't have $800 for a dust mask or the steel-reinforced neck required to carry an air pump on my head!

Rick
    RFNK

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thumbs up

I've used both and found the full mask more comfortable and effective than the cartridge type. The positive pressure of the mask type means that you don't suck dust in around the seal when you breathe in.
    If you adjust the head strap properly (at least on the Racal that I use) the weight is quite well balanced and is not a problem.

I agree with you about the exhorbitant price. They were never cheap, but since they've been taken over by a certain sticky tape manufacturer, the price has skyrocketed. I'd like to see some justification for that, 3M.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Talking

Hi Guys.

I've delt with 3M on many occasions, nothing to do with woodwork and they have always been pricey.
    But for your information Triton are working on one of these face masks also, it may pay to enquire with them how much they expect to retail for and when.

Regards

Gino

Cool

G'day Rick

There are cheaper helmets available. You don't have to thave the top of the range. Try the other Racal mask or have a look at the ones that Carba-Tec import from England. It is alright to own a Rolls Royce but a Holden will also get you to the same destination at a much lesser price.

If you are at all concerned about your health you will invest in one of the masks. For long time security there is no substitute. Have a look at this page if you are in doubt as to whether or not you really need one. Healt Hazards & Timber The alternatives to not having a mask (especially if you do a lot of sanding) are not the best.

Cheers
    Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

I can sympathise with you on your indecision regarding the purchase of a (Racal) 3M dust mask. Starting turning 2 years ago I made do with a respirator but found it to be uncomfortable, particularly in hot weather.Also I enjoy turning red gum but found that I had an almost instant reaction. This took the form of catarhh and a blocked up nose for 24 hours or so after working with it.I have since learnt that red gum dust is highly toxic as are several other species of timber dusts. As they say "it's the dust you can't see that causes the problem". So I bit the bullet and bought a Racal and cannot recommend it too highly. Whilst there is no doubt that 3M are ripping us woodies off, it is still cheaper than paying for a premature funeral, not to mention the pain and suffering caused by emphysema, clogged up lungs etc. My advise would be to shop around you may get a better price than the recommended $850. In the April issue of the Pommie Mag.Woodturning there is a road test of three respirators including the Racal(3M DM4). The other 2 are the Powerlite Airshield and the 3M Airlite.Both of these are less expensive. What Price Health?

Jack the Lad.

I have been using a 3M air helmet for about 4 months now and am very pleased with its performance. The only thing I am not pleased with is the cost. I like my health though.

Angry

OK, thanks everyone! Well, now I have a respirator and a blasted, really expensive 3M Airlite shield with the little fan in it which goes up and down like a roller coaster etc. and, well, I do feel much better after using it. But, now I find that 3M can only supply one grade of filter for it. I'm still not confident that it eliminates the finest dust which is the dust that really does the damage. Any ideas?
    Rick
    RFNK

The 3m helmet I bought has a HEPA filter in it which is as good as it gets. I purchased mine from airamerica.com. Since I live in the U.S. maybe I am getting a different product.

Shawn

I made a mistake. I purchased it from airware america. Their web page is www.mid-web.com/airware. Hope this helps.

Shawn

lets try it again. www.mid-web.com/airware

I also have had an Airlite for about 3 years. I've been keeping an eye out for any signs of dust on the inside - especially on the visor, but haven't found any, so I think the filter is pretty good.

A tip - to prevent it being accidentally damaged from lying around, I picked up a styrofoam 'head' - the type of things that jewelers, hairdressers etc. use to display their wares. About $2 at a weekend market. It sits on a dowell and the mask sits on it when not in use.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Yip Guest

3M Airlite Respirator
    http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=airlite

UK £119.11 excl VAT equals AUD $309.30 plus shipping etc.

Thumbs up

I`ve had my Rachel for about 5 years and apart from the price of spare parts (see discussion a couple of months ago on this channel!) i have nothing but praise for this machine.When i bought this machine i had a face like a babies B-- , now i look like ZZ TOP. To make it work proper I`ve run some velcro around the edge of the mask and made a cloth hood that covers the entire head and
    shoulders to keep dust out of hair and hair out of quickly revolving work.The old curtains i used look raelly bad but no one see`s me in it so who cares. Cost velcro= $1/mtr Cloth $0 .Very happy
    cooky

G-day all,

I was in my local woodworking supply shop at Yatala, and was shown a new (to me) dust mask called "Dust bee gone", It looks like a surgical mask and can be washed and reused.

Not cheep at au $66.00 each but was told with care they have a 5 year plus life span.

Has anybody used or seen this mask, and are they an alternative to the powered masks.

I found this website http://www.dustbeegone.com/

Barry

Got a Trend Air Shield at the Brisbane Wood show cost $420 I bought it on the last day of the show just as they were packing up work like a charm. But when I get a new battery I be buying from overseas as these Mongrels charge like a wounded bull! That goes for most of the other accessories!
    If you work in a garage that's attached to your house then get proper dust extraction equipment eg air cleaners Dust Filters make sure these are rated at 5 microns or less for the sake of everyone health
    Hope this helps

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast