Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default preventing dermatisis

Does any1 know ways to prevent dermatisis from accuring? I have been working with wood for over 20 years and 1 day i noticed that i had a rash on my arms. (It was like posion ivy.) The day that this happened i was turning africian blackwood rosewood. I know that most of the rosewood can do this, but i have never had this problem. After that day i get dermatisis off and on. Is there something that can be put on be4 turning to stop this. Thx 4 any advice

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Vinegar rinse after turning may help. I am unsure never had that problem. I just know that for my daughter with her dermo if I know if she been contact with something that she does not agree with her I just rinse her in vinegar immediately and it helps. I also soak her in the bath with bicarbonate soda
    that might help
    Toni

Continued exposure increases the likelihood of a reaction to any potential irritant. The only thing you can do is to stop it landing on your skin. Over time you may lose some sensitivity to the irritant if you're lucky.
    Cheers, Ern

thx 4 the advice so far. I will have to try the vinager. Any other info would be helpful too

PHD1, Check out the Wood Central Woodturning forum. Just do a WC search for "poison ivy", and read the associated posts.
    Someone posted a link to some stuff you can apply first, that keeps down the exposure. I forget what it's called.
    It appears in the link that it's an "after-exposure" application, but when you read the information on it, it says to apply it before exposure, to lessen the chance of contamination.
    Hope this helps.
    Al
    Some minds are like concrete thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

Thx OGYT,

That is some postive info. I will have to check it out. It would be a real shame to have to limit myself to what i can turn.
    Happy turning

When I was working with epoxy, the supplier put me onto a product called "Dermashield", an aerosol barrier cream made in USA. Worked wonderfully.
    In a demo, the salesman put a steel washer in his cupped hand and poured on a bit of acid - the washer started to bubble and fizz while we watched it!
    It was much more convenient than working with disposeable rubber gloves on.
    Cheers
    Graeme

Wear long sleves.

I know lots of people will say Oh how dangerous.

Providing the long sleves are close fitting & you arent doing anything stupid you should be fine.

I know there are heaps of people who wouldn't think of wearing long sleves when using a table saw for fear of gettin them caught up in the blade.
    I say what the hell is your arm doing that close to the blade.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

I
    know lots of people will say Oh how dangerous.

Providing the long sleves are close fitting & you arent doing anything stupid you should be fine.

I know there are heaps of people who wouldn't think of wearing long sleves when using a table saw for fear of gettin them caught up in the blade.
    I say what the hell is your arm doing that close to the blade.
    I agree if you know what your doing and dont do anything stupid you wont have a problem. hughie
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

An alternative to eliminate the longsleve risk is something I have been using since I started turning. I wear longsleve shirts made by underarmor with a short sleve shirt overtop. They are skin tight and eliminate the risk of catching but provide cover for my arms. They are a little expenzive but worth every penny. It also provides very good body tempture control. It gets very hot in my shop during the summer and very cold in the winter. wearing this all year helps maintaine a constant body tempature.