Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Post Secondhand lathes

Hi
    I'm looking out for a secondhand lathe. I am a beginner but would still like to purchase a quality product. My budget (for lathe only) would be around $600 - $1000. You may also be able to indicate particular areas (of wear)to watch out for.

Thanks for your help
    Brax

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Lightbulb

Welcome to the Group Brax.

Do you really want a second hand lathe for that price?? I heard on the radio that Total Tools have a wood lathe on sale at the moment for around $400 (I think). maybe you should give them a go.

I can not remember IF there is a store in Bendigo or not.

From my point of view, the only things I would be looking out for is, strenght of the head and tail-stock.

My current lathe (only in use now until FRIDAY!!!) is one of the cheap no-name chineese types, the head-stock assembly is made out of 3mm plate, and BOLTED!! to the pressed metal lathe bed. I find that every time I apply some pressure to the work-piece using the TAIL-STOCK, the head end is pushed back and up, giving me a work-piece that may be horizontally OK, but of center in the vertical axis.

Also check that the head and tail-stocks line up and meet in the correct position. Run the tail stock with the center in place up the the head-stock with the spur drive or some other center in place, and make sure that both points meet.

Kev.

[This message has been edited by Brudda (edited 28 October 2002).]
    I try and do new things twice.. the first time to see if I can do it.. the second time to see if I like it
    Kev

Cool

but Brudda for $1K u could get a good second hand machine and mybe a couple extras if its a gettin out of it due to ......<put reason in> ........type of sale
    Pete
    What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

For my money, make sure the lathe is one you'd still buy if it was brand new - cast bed (that's straight), big enough motor, beefy headstock etc - and hopefully a major/quality brand. All I found was old, poor quality rubbish.

For $1,000 you can buy a brand new Chinese lathe, a decent Vicmarc or Nova chuck, and a quality set of tools. I just went through the exercise myself, picked up my new lathe on Saturday and I'm happy as Larry with it. I spent $1300 all up, but also bought a quality 8" bench grinder and extra wheel($220), a Vicmarc VM120 chuck and 6 of the best chisels I could find. I could have bought the lathe, a different chuck and a reasonable set of Chinese HSS chisels and spent around $800.

Good luck - I'm certainly enjoying my new toy
    The Australian Woodworkers Database - over 3,500 Aussie Woods listed: http://www.aussiewoods.info/
    My Site: http://www.aussiewoods.info/darryl/

Cool

Thank you Kev - you've helped me make up my mind. I've pretty much decided to go for the slightly more beefy $500 model from Total Tools - the extra weight in the frame and swing over the bed seems worth it. I figure I can always load the tool tray up with bricks for that extra bit of stability. Should allow me to do justice to that large pile of redgum... after I finish the bookshelves, and turn up some tool handles.
    Cogito cogito, cogito ergo sum
    - I think that I think, therefore I think that I am

Good decision I think Tristan - I bought the smaller Total Tools lathe and I'm very happy with it. Went for the smaller one because length wasn't an issue with me (don't like spindle turnings), and I wanted to save space - and this thing's still 85 kilos, so plenty heavy enough for me

Time to go make some round things.
    The Australian Woodworkers Database - over 3,500 Aussie Woods listed: http://www.aussiewoods.info/
    My Site: http://www.aussiewoods.info/darryl/

krikey for that sort of money you could employ a team of archieologists to resurect the big blue lathe.
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Angry

Please! Don't start that again!
    Regards John H.
    (BBBL. R.I.P.)

[This message has been edited by John Hambly (edited 03 November 2002).]
    Jack the Lad.