Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bench or floorstanding drill press?

I would like opinion on which is better, a floorstanding drill press or a bench drill press mounted on a base with castors ?
    Zelk

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Depends upon what the largest thing you want to put under it to drill is. If you mount it on a bench make it so you can swing it over the side if need be. Free space around the drill press is good.

floorstanding

Add a poll to this thread for more results

I prefer to have the drillpress anchored firmly to the floor. Most other machines are on bases but this one is a bit tall and top-heavy for my likes. Could be OK if it is fixed to an oversize based - but not ideal... I like it where it is.

Assuming the power is the same isn't it simply a case of the distance between the chuck and the table being greater on the stand version?

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHammer View Post
    Assuming the power is the same isn't it simply a case of the distance between the chuck and the table being greater on the stand version?

HH.
    I think it can be more than that. I need to get a floor mounted drill press cause the throat on my bench press is too small.

It seems that the pedestal drills are generally bigger than the bench variety, least thats what I found. Obviously there's more depth.

I like this one:

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/ind...0_900&sort=20a

although it could do with a bit more grunt.

$250 at the shows.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

If you have the room then go for floorstanding.

Thanks guys, does one ever use the full height capacity of a floorstander? It seems that the throat capacity is the same with both, that have the same hp. The base would end up much wider than the existing drill base and so would not compromise stability unless it's compared to one that is bolted to a surface. I like the idea of being able to move it around.
    Zelk

Quote Originally Posted by zelk View Post
    Thanks guys, does one ever use the full height capacity of a floorstander?
    Thats why a bench mounted one on a sturdy timber base bolted to the wall is the go

A bit a lateral thinking Lignum, how about a base with castors that is fixed to the wall but can detach when needed?
    Zelk

How bout a floor stander bolted like its supposed to be with a cabinet of draws that fits around it on castors and hinge at the front inbetween the drawers!(like a clam shell sort of)
    When you want full height just hinge the cabinet open and wheel it out of the way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by craigb View Post
    If you have the room then go for floorstanding.
    Even if you don't have floorspace, go with the floor model.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

But when do you ever use the extra depth of the floorstander over the bench model? And if you ever need the extra depth when its on a bench or stand you just swing it out and get it. I have a bench and floor stander and the bench is better and sturdier and i use it 98% of the time

Have to admit Lignum has a point. I bought a floor model after years of owning a (fairly small) bench type. I constantly had a problem with the limited height on that thing, partly because the somewhat Heath-Robinson wooden vice I used took up a good 75mm of head-room. But although I use a lot more travel in the floor jobbie, it is avery rare occasion that I use much more than 350-400mm.

However, I do prefer my floor-stander, not least because in my case, it is a much better quality machine than the old benchtop job. As stationary tools go, it really has a small footprint, and as a bonus, you tend to work at a height that keeps protruding bits of the job above standard bench height, so it can be sited quite close to other, lower, staionary tools (like my grinder) or benches. I also like having the end of the bench that used to be blocked by an immovable tool, freed-up (to pile other stuff on! ), but at least it's moveable).

Horses for courses - a bench model with equivalent swing usually costs only about $50 bucks less than the equivalent floor model, so the choice boils down to what fits the available space best, more than anything else.

My 2c,
    IW

It may depend also on how tall you are. I have a bench model, bought specifically so that I could mount it on a stand tall enough to bring the average workpiece high enough to prevent posture problems.

My bench has rear castors and a spot in front where my small trolley jack can fit for mobility. When in place, and jacked down, its plenty stable. The drawers in the stand house the many hole drilling items that accumulate over the years.

When I made the stand I allowed for a spot to store the shop made table, but I have yet to remove it.

I have used a few floor standers, and a couple of bench mounted over the years, and would now always opt for the bench type.

Greg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast