Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Osage Orange bowl

Hi all,

Another Osage Orange bowl. I think I must be getting better, this only took me about 4 hours. Any comments more than welcome.

Grizz.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

ok, got some pictures coming through now, good

Nice bowl, never tried the timber.

Only 4 hours??:eek:

Joash

ss_11000 is offline You've got to risk it to get the biscuit

nice bowl mate. i like the form of the outside you got a pretty good finish to.

cheers
    S T I R L O

Ahhh... ze Bois D'Arc, she is a lovely timber, no?

I like the form and you've put a nice finish on it, although the photos highlight the dreaded rings on the inside bottom. Are you using a rotary sander? If not, I'd suggest you seriously look at getting one... they really help to get rid of this.

I've a few pieces in my racks, while I wait for inspiration. At the moment they're not talking to me... so they can sit there for a bit longer until they tell me what they want to be. Have you seen the fruit? :eek: Sometimes called Horse Apples or Monkey Balls... and I can see why!
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Looks very nice, love the way the grain stands out
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Nice bowl grizz. Try wrapping some sand paper around a piece of styrene foam to finish off the inside bottom. Foam is cheap and very plentiful.
    Jim
    Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important...

Thanks all. Skew, my rotary sander doesn't really fit into a bowl of this size, so couldn't use it. The rings don't look quite so bad in real life though. And I know what you mean about the wood talking to you, this was not the original shape that I had planned . Powderpost, I like the foam idea. I'll try that next time.

Grizz.

4 hours aint bad at all for such a tough wood. The Indians used it for their bows because of it's elasticity.
    everything is something, for a reason:confused:

That is a rather nice style of bowl Grizz.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Skew, my rotary sander doesn't really fit into a bowl of this size, so couldn't use it.
    The bowl looks good Grizz! but how big is your rotary sander - - or how small is the bowl????

I've got two small rounds of that stuff - seasoned over 20 years - they're harder than my chisels so they'll probably end up as mallet heads!
    Updated 8th of February 2024

Good looking bowl from some nice wood.

-- Wood Listener--

Default Where's the yellow?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
    Another Osage Orange bowl. I think I must be getting better, this only took me about 4 hours. Any comments more than welcome.
    I like the bowl. I like the rim treatment. I like the finish. I like the lovely brown color. Matter of fact, its a right nice bowl!

Did you use Pepsodent on this bowl?:confused: You know... "you'll wonder where the yellow went; when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!"
    Osage here in the upover is yellow as a canary when you first cut into it. Takes a few months in UV light to turn this lovely brown.
    Was this some really old wood? Just curious.

Skew: "Sometimes called Horse Apples or Monkey Balls... and I can see why!" The indians used to dry these "apples", (which are actually balls of seeds) and shred them along a small furrow, planting the seeds. When they came up, they kept them trimmed, inside and out, leaving a fence to grow tall. The thorny limbs entertwined so thick that a chicken couldn't get through. Then, clipping the chicken's wings, they had a good chicken pen. (Never saw one, just read about it.)
    Al
    Some minds are like concrete thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

Quote Originally Posted by OGYT View Post
    Osage here in the upover is yellow as a canary when you first cut into it. Takes a few months in UV light to turn this lovely brown.
    Was this some really old wood? Just curious.
    I recently gave some O/Orange to a young feller for turning into a pen... golden yellow when I gave it to him, a mellow brown when he'd finished. So I suspect that heat may also have something to do with it; the young bloke spent more time sanding than cutting.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Thanks people, your comments are a great encouragement. To Rowie and Skew, out of the 4 hours, there was probably about 1 1/2 hours of sanding. Got some nasty digs that took a long time to get out :mad:. To OGYT, the wood was milled about 70 years ago so, yes, is pretty old. TTIT, hey, horrible thing to do to such a lovely wood :eek:. But I agree, damned hard on your chisels. My sharpening technique got a good workout with this piece. Now I've got orders for another 2 of them .

Grizz.