Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default And it was all going so well...

Started out as a large closed bowl with a carved rim but found a large void that just kept going and going and then I saw the color in the top and wanted to keep it - so a lidded bowl it is. Parted off the lid and rough turned the bowl to about 10mm thick then nuked it which I had never tried on Dead-finish before. Dried well (I thought), very little warping, no cracking - this is going sooooo good! Finished the bowl to about 6mm, sanded to 1200 and 2 coats of Danish - all good. Finish turned the top of the lid, carved the handles, sanded to 1200 and oiled - still all good. Loaded the lid in the Longworth chuck to finish the bottom of it - got greedy - frisbeeing round the shed at 800rpm broke 2 handles off :mad: Glued the handles back on, resanded, reoiled and finished off the bottom CAREFULLY - - and the damned thing warped so that the lids rocks like a bloody see-saw (pic 4) Ah well - such is life.

Don't know if the shape/handles work though - the only one impressed so far is my daughter, but then she always says she likes my work Critique welcome.

I hope nuking will hold the colour - I've found it does with some other timbers.
    Updated 8th of February 2024

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default i like the timber but not the shape.

TTIT - firstly, nice timber. I like the bowl, but the lid i'd pass on. I think it would have worked nicely as a bowl with a turned out lip for the rim, but this form (in my opinion) detracts from the beautiful timber.
    I'm sure many others will disagree with this suggestion, but for what it's worth, here's what I'd do with it.

The transition from the bowl to the lid should be a continuous curve, not a step.

Any chance you can;
    1. turn a shallow step in the top of the bowl for the lid to sit inside
    2. rechuck the lid only and turn it down till it fits neatly inside the bowl with the curve flowing all the way from the bottom of the bowl right round to the very centre of the lid.
    3. turn a nice finial (some contrasting timber - ebony would look nice) as a handle to lift the lid out of the bowl.

Other option - just remove the lid. The bowl's nice without it.

Hope this suggestion doesn't offend -it's not meant to. It's such a beautifully figured piece of timber, but the form overshadows it and it loses it's 'wow factor' for me. Beautiful timber deserves simple flowing form to enhance it's appeal. This one's shape demands your attention hence you spend all your time looking at it's shape, trying to figure out if you like it, than the beautiful timber.

Just my thoughts.

Thumbs up

Another outstanding lidded bowl, TTIT!

I can see why you'd like to keep the colour in it.

cheers
    Wendy

Beautiful finish and lovely timber , good form :confused: but I would probably turn the handles off and have a finial styled one in the centre
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

It's a beautiful piece of wood, but the form doesn't quite gel for me either; it took me a while to realise that the bowl isn't upside down in pic #1. As TN said, the stepped rim on the lid isn't quite right; IMHO it would've looked brilliant as the foot but would've been a beast to rechuck for hollowing! :eek:

Critique of form aside, you've made a good job of a difficult form. It's easy to see why the lid went AWOL, a delicate touch needed there, eh? Pity it warped, although not really surprising with that branched grain. What diameter is the bowl?

(Dang, I'm gonna have to find me some brass powder. I wonder if the key-copier still has a stall down at our local Bunnies? If he has, I must've walked past it a thousand times without noticing... scurrying on my way to stock up on the latest sand-papers. )
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Quote Originally Posted by TimberNut View Post
    The transition from the bowl to the lid should be a continuous curve, not a step.
    Can't argue with that - would have looked better (would also have shown the warped lid up more )

Any chance you can;
    1. turn a shallow step in the top of the bowl for the lid to sit inside
    2. rechuck the lid only and turn it down till it fits neatly inside the bowl with the curve flowing all the way from the bottom of the bowl right round to the very centre of the lid.
    3. turn a nice finial (some contrasting timber - ebony would look nice) as a handle to lift the lid out of the bowl.
    Unfortunately not enough meat left to redo any of it - I like things light and thin.
    Too many finials about - was looking for something different and Dead-finish is so nice to carve/shape.
    Hope this suggestion doesn't offend -it's not meant to.
    No offence whatsoever - appreciate the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!! View Post
    IMHO it would've looked brilliant as the foot but would've been a beast to rechuck for hollowing! :eek:
    Damned good idea for the next chunk though!

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!! View Post
    What diameter is the bowl?
    A bit over 200mm (ish)!

i thought that the top was a set of legs. They would make great legs.

Quote Originally Posted by tashammer View Post
    Hey! I was going to say that...

Me too, I thought you had turned a base to hold a bowl, to me it would fit better that mode. But I do like the finish and the colors and the shape abnd all the rest. Me thinks you put it together assbackwards.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tashammer View Post
    Me too, the lid looks like a nice display stand for a Bonsai, pity that the plant would cover that purple patch.

Nice job.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Default great

Vern,

What magnificent piece of timber....hmmm kinda agree with the rest on the lid...legs.

However we are done under so......

Finish is just great

If we knew what we were doing it would not be research. Albert Einstein

Ya gotta try it to see if it'l work

This is very encouraging for my piece. I wonder how the wet seasoning would go with Deadfinish :confused: might give it a go, will keep you posted
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

I like the bowl, and I like the lid but I'm sorta weird. Different, but nice.
    My frau saw the bowl on my puter and said, "Why's it upside down?".
    Whoda thought it?
    Nice inlay of the brass, too. I can't get it to fill up all the voids. What do you do.... grind the filings smaller? Or is it not key filings?
    Al
    Some minds are like concrete thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

Quote Originally Posted by OGYT View Post
    Nice inlay of the brass, too. I can't get it to fill up all the voids. What do you do.... grind the filings smaller? Or is it not key filings?
    It's brass powder Al (check it out here). It's only 2 microns in size, like flour. Sits so densely that you need thin CA to soak into it - medium CA just cakes it up. Biggest trap with it is when you're pouring it in, even if you think the hole doesn't go right through, very often you end up with a heap of powder inside the work - flows through like water! DAMHIKT

I agree the lid looks more like a base. Don't think a finial would work very well on something this large. Even so, I'd be real happy if my successes looked as good as your "failure."

JG
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Default curses moriarty!

It's brass powder Al (check it out here). It's only 2 microns in size, like flour. Sits so densely that you need thin CA to soak into it - medium CA just cakes it up. Biggest trap with it is when you're pouring it in, even if you think the hole doesn't go right through, very often you end up with a heap of powder inside the work - flows through like water! DAMHIKT
    Vern
    b.........r it! I thought I had the thin stuff!!!! :mad: Mine cakes up.Has the thin stuff gotta trade name? I dare say Jim will have some @ csw. I am looking to sling an order his way before Christmas.

Al, its around $35AUD per kilo last time I bought some plus postage for brass powder. Although I pick my own up as its only 20mins or so from me. Theres gotta be some one nearer to you.

Next time you order some Vern ask em for a few samples [freebees] ie copper, bronze etc. They gave me enough to do a couple dozen bowls of each sample. It was around 100grams each one
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast