Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Like to buy a cheap lathe

Firstly, I hope Bitingmidge doesn't see this or I will be in for a bit of a ribbing.

I would like to buy a cheap lathe to experiment with a bit of turning.

I have never done any type of wood turning before what so ever.

Firstly I would like to turn up some chisel handles and plane knobs.

Maybe some small bowls, platters etc in the future, and a high probability of longer turnings between centres.

I don't really have budget limitations but at this stage I am thinking GMC after reading some favourable threads on here regarding very basic turning.

I think the GMC comes with a few chisels which should get me started.

Are there any other cheap lathes in the price range of the GMC (I think less than $200) which I should consider?

If I was to buy the GMC are there any enhancements I should do, perhaps a quality chuck?

Can anybody recommend a cheapish set of chisels if they think the GMC ones won't cut it (pun intended )

How about a good video to get me started on the right path?

Cheers, Jack
    "There is no dark side of the moon really. Matter of fact it's all dark."

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

If you want to enhance the GMC.....throw it in the bay!!!!

I started with a GMC, and it CANNOT do what you say you want to do. If you want to have a go at turning, then the GMC is not the way to go. All that will happen, is that you will get frustrated, then discouraged, then off, and give it up. There is a lot of enjoyment to be gained from turning, and the GMC will ruin it for you.

I'll leave it to others, more qualified, to recommend a low cost lathe for starting.

EDIT: Okay, so in Townsville you probably haven't got a bay. So the next best enhancement is an Oxy set.
    Last edited by chrisb691; 12th November 2006 at 09:11 PM. Reason: typo
    Chris
    ========================================

Life isn't always fair

....................but it's better than the alternative.

I agree with chris in that the GMC is one hellovu frustrating machine.
    However some of us are on budgets and have no choice!!!

I have been using the GMC for about 3 months, and one of the best things i did was get the optional 4 jaw chuck and then bought a cheap scroll chuck (4 jaws move together- $100) and with a lot of patience centre it in the GMC chuck. The GMC has a non standard thread.

The GMC has its limtations that even the beginner can see- the tailstock is soooo flexible- dont put too much pressure when mounting between centres as it bends/ stresses the workpiece. It stalls when taking heavy cuts (not catches!), and the banjo? (tool rest) is soft and just crap. just to name a few!!

However i use it once or twice a week and instead of giving up , i have got the bug big time!!!!! In what other woodwork area can you start and finish a project in under two hours, with timber from the backyard or just off the street! Bowls included. The next best option- MC 900, (or really THE best option), for me is probably at least 6 months away.

As far as chisels go make sure you get HSS, carpatec and others have an OK starter set for around $110.

Enjoy it, but be warned, youll be getting a chainsaw and bandsaw soon.
    Robert

Jack,

I have just started turning, so like Chris, probably not the best qualified.

I have a 2 month old Carba Tec MC1100 which has turned 4 bowls, 2 mugs, and a few spindles as practice. At this stage it's done everthing I've asked of it. However, it did have one negative point - the standard face plate was about 1.0mm off centre, so going from the faceplate to the Nova2 chuck the piece wouldn't align. Problem was solved by buying a technatool faceplate to suit the chuck.

Anyway I'm sure there are more qualified people out there with some more useful info, but for entry level I think this is a good start.

G'day Jack

The old truism that you get what you pay for is nowhere better demonstrated than in buying a lathe. Before much longer this thread will have heaps of responses with many suggestions for decent lathes. The basic rule however is that if you don't pay for it, you won't get quality. Chris is right about the GMC. If you want a cheap lathe go for something else in the lower end of the price range.

I started with a cheap Korean model that my wife bought for a few hundred dollars. Like many lathes of its type, the bed flexed, the bearings couldn't stand any lateral load and the thread at the headstock wasn't compatable with any decent chucks. However it and the cheap set of chisels I started with convinced me that turning was for me.

If you get a cheap one and later lose interest the value of the lathe will be zero. If you get a quality lathe and later lose interest, you'll at least have something that you will have no trouble re-selling.

For what it's worth I have a Woodfast ME910 which I've always been happy with, but you can expect to pay a couple of grand for a model like that.

You'll find a good selection of books on turning at your local library. Go and read a few but then, most importantly - find someone to show you. There'll be a local club in Townsville no doubt - they'll welcome you with open arms and will probably have a few machines to practice on. You cannot underestimate the importance of learning by being shown.
    Mark J
    Cairns NQ

Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack, Jack,

Oh how I've been waiting for this day!!

What are you thinking? ehehhehehehehehhhheeeeee!!!

OK, I admit, there comes a time in everyone's life, when they start to think maybe a lathe would be handy, but I didn't think it would happen in one so young!

Still two years is a long time in show business!

The cost of the lathe is insignificant compared to the cost of chisels, chucks etc.

I still don't regret taking the plunge on a Jet Mini lathe ($350 from GPW.au.com) when facing the same questions you are. I made the decision to buy based on the fact that so many fair dinkum turners seem to have one in their kit. You can't do big stuff, but it doesn't hurt near as much when you get a catch either!

Good luck old fella!

P

Quote Originally Posted by Jack E View Post
    Firstly, I hope Bitingmidge doesn't see this or I will be in for a bit of a ribbing.
    Hehe, if I may explain this (and some of my previous post):

When Jack and I first met, I was midway through a beginner's turning course run by Carol Rix.

Jack, ever so politely confided that in his humble view, woodturning was only for people of substantially advanced years.

Now I may or may not have agreed with him, considering myself indeed to be in the process of learning a skill that I could take with me into my no doubt forthcoming dotage, but he made the fatal mistake of expanding his point.

"I'll probably wait till I'm as old as you", he whispered.

I know for certain that he won't ever forget that day.

I won't let him!!

Cheers Jack!

P

Thumbs up Cheep one

Jack,
    I have not had a lot to do with GMC but the collective opinion here is firm about being about anchors.....

Have a look at the MC900 or 1100 or the equivelants at places like Carbatec,Hare & Forbes. Nothing grand but you can get a good feel for turning. A number of guys on the forum have them and have turned out some real good pieces on them

http://www.hareandforbes.com.au/sample_2/home.php
    see WL-18, WL-20

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/ind...00_14570_14630
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

As a past GMC owner, I can attest to the weaknesses of it.
    However, it got me into this hobby and I learned the basics of spindle, faceplate and bowl turning on it.

My GMC had the same thread as a record, accepted a Vicmark VM100 chuck, and was enough for me for a couple of years. Yes, I had a few bits of wood fly off the thing, but I soon learned what the thing would do and what it wouldn't.

I suppose for me it was a matter of enjoying what the machine could do rather than missing what it couldn't.

With the help of this forum, I got a great deal on a Leda MC900 off ebay and I haven't looked back. The GMC is now with a mate who had never picked up a chisel and together we are both continuing to learn and grow our skills.

It's funny looking back at the few peices that I've kept. Most of these I've rechucked and improved but a couple are still rough..

So if it's a matter of a GMC or no lathe at all, well... there's always ebay!

Jacke jacke jacke.

I you cant afford to buy a decent lathe DON'T.

Get your self down to the townsville woodturners in the old guide hut in the park near pimlico high saturday.....end problem.

They have a variety of nice nearly new vicmark machines down there in a variety of sizes with chucks & tools and everything.
    I had a short visit when I was up last may... nice bunch of blokes.

Once you are hooked.... you can buy a decent machine.

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Jack E,

do you have access to either a Hare and Forbes, or a SuperCheap Auto??

H&F often have ex-demo MC-900 / MC-1100 lathes at less than retail, and they've just had their annual demo day, so the timing could be good!

I've noticed SuperCheap getting rid of their MC-900 clones - the store near my work has one for $199.

I started with the GMC cheapy, and moved up to an MC-series, and would suggest you skip the GMC.

Cheers,
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge View Post
    "I'll probably wait till I'm as old as you", he whispered.

I know for certain that he won't ever forget that day.

I won't let him!!
    Agh Peter, you may be old but I see the memory is fine

Don't you hate it when you say something and shortly after it nips at your posterior

I am getting old, I recently got married, can't remember the last night club I entered, the music is always to loud (except mine), they don't seem to play the songs I like on the radio anymore, and I want to throw rocks at every car I hear hooning past my house.

Looks like I am destined to a life of turning.

Nah, just kidding. I want a lathe to make parts for tools, but I can see it being used for a little more than that.

Cheers, Jack

Quote Originally Posted by soundman View Post
    Get your self down to the townsville woodturners in the old guide hut in the park near pimlico high saturday.....end problem.

They have a variety of nice nearly new vicmark machines down there in a variety of sizes with chucks & tools and everything.
    I had a short visit when I was up last may... nice bunch of blokes.
    I was there on Saturday, one of the Brisbane based suppliers was having a sale there.
    He was mostly selling turning stuff so I wasn't very interested.
    I think it was later that night that I decided I should get a lathe for chisel handles and plane knobs.
    You guys have talked me out of the GMC and I am leaning towards an MC900.
    Perhaps I could have picked up one on Saturday,cheap, if only I knew I wanted one then

I could probably throw a rock at the Pimlico woodturners club from my house.
    Actually to be honest, it is a good seven iron away

Cheers, Jack

Quote Originally Posted by arose62 View Post
    do you have access to either a Hare and Forbes, or a SuperCheap Auto??

H&F often have ex-demo MC-900 / MC-1100 lathes at less than retail, and they've just had their annual demo day, so the timing could be good!

I've noticed SuperCheap getting rid of their MC-900 clones - the store near my work has one for $199.
    I wasn't aware supercheap sold lathes, are they close to the MC900's made by others?

I will contact hare and forbes to see what they have, I am not close to them but am in Townsville so am used to paying freight.

Cheers, Jack

Okay, you guys have talked me out of the GMC.

I considered a mini lathe as I only want to start on small pieces, but if I can get an MC900 for a little more why not?
    I like to have the option of doing bigger stuff.

So I guess now I wait for a good deal to arrive, I am getting the lathe for xmas so hopefully something pops up before then.

Can anybody recommend a good video and supplier on turning, I would like to get the video well before getting the lathe so I am well informed when it comes time to part with the cash.

Cheers, Jack

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast