Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Save those shampagne corks!!

Hi all .
    It's been a while since I contributed to the Forum .
    And equally a while since I was on my lathe .
    It has been enjoyable and comforting though, juming on occasionaly and reading what everyone is up too (your sort of like an extended family! ). My mother passed away, after a long illness, and what with greiving, funeral, family and friends, and all the beurocratic/ legal sh-t that goes with dying well it's been a while since there was any activity in the shed.
    BUT_ This afternoon, I finaly got down there and turned the attatched wine stopper. It took a BL--dy long time to make but I had a ball! A freind said to only use bubbly corks because of the quality, and having never turned cork before, i wasn't sure how it was going to go.
    It's all a bit rough, but cork to my surprise even sands quite well.
    I did find out though, that it cuts better slower ratherthan faster!?!
    The whole thing was done with my skew. I'm finally getting "sort of" comfortable with it!
    i do have a question though. The discouloration on the top af the wine stopper (a bit of a cedar branch). Is that caused by friction from bevel rub perhaps? Was my lathe a bit too fast?
    All suggestions welcome.
    By the way, it's a great time for all your freinds and rellys to save you the bubbly corks, what with new Year coming up . I know I have people on the lookout, and I already have a bucket full!
    Happy New Year- Cedar
    Yesterday is history, tommorow is a mystery,TODAY is a gift- that's why it's called the PRESENT!!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by cedar n silky View Post
    i do have a question though. The discouloration on the top af the wine stopper (a bit of a cedar branch). Is that caused by friction from bevel rub perhaps? Was my lathe a bit too fast?
    Too fast... or too slow... or you lingered too long with the bevel rubbing and not removing enough timber. Bloody helpful, innit?

Unless you sped the lathe up as you neared the middle, I'd say 'twas probably one of the last two.

No problems drilling the cork? I might have to make one or two myself... if only I can work out what shape fits a tinny.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Good idea!! Wonder if that works for coke bottles??

You mean to say Skew you ever have some left in your tinny to put back in the fridge... She says ducking for the door...LOL.
    bye Toni

Quote Originally Posted by lubbing5cherubs View Post
    You mean to say Skew you ever have some left in your tinny to put back in the fridge... She says ducking for the door...LOL.
    No... but it'd be nice to be able to put a cork in it to stop the sawdust settling in while I take "just one more cut" on the lathe. I've already made a lid for my coffee cup but I won't use it on tinny's 'cos I don't believe in mixing beverages.

The real problem's gonna be convincing a certain person that I really do need a crate o' bubbly and that I haven't done anything I'm feeling guilty about.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Wondered where ya got to Cedar! Sorry to hear about your mum.

Would never have tackled cork without seeing your stopper. Little ripper .How did you drill the hole in the cork?? Drill press? Lathe? Fast/slow?
    Updated 8th of February 2024

Quote Originally Posted by cedar n silky View Post
    Hi all .
    Happy New Year- Cedar
    As Skew says: too slow on the lathe and the chisel. Sometimes it is better to use a gouge on those round over cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by TTIT View Post
    Wondered where ya got to Cedar! Sorry to hear about your mum.

Would never have tackled cork without seeing your stopper. Little ripper .How did you drill the hole in the cork?? Drill press? Lathe? Fast/slow?
    I was in such a hurry to "knock something out" yesterday, that I just used a 9mm Forstner bit with my cordless!(by eye):eek: But if I was going to make heaps I would probably make up a holder under my drill press. Most of the bubbly corks in Australia seem to all come from the one supplier, so they are very consistent. I cut off 2 veneers of cork (there are 2 veneers at the wine end of the cork) nice and square with a sharp Stanley knife, and butted that end up against the timber.
    The hole was a bit rough, and I used a bit of thick CA to stick it to the wood!:eek:
    Hope I don't give all my Friends cancer!:eek: Don't know how CA reacts to a partially used bottle of wine-
    Any suggestions for a more user friendly (drinker friendly) glue would be appreciated!
    Yesterday is history, tommorow is a mystery,TODAY is a gift- that's why it's called the PRESENT!!

Looks like end-grain 'tear-out' to me, Like said - use a gouge and speed up the lathe.
    (Those composition/plastic corks used by lots of wineries also turn and sand quite well as long as you go slow to prevent friction heat build up.)
    Jack the Lad.

JUSTa thought if gouged in dought try a 3point tool i have the same problem doing cabashons.ie round caps ,domed tops.

and having never turned cork before, i wasn't sure how it was going to go.
    It's all a bit rough, but cork to my surprise even sands quite well.
    I did find out though, that it cuts better slower ratherthan faster!?!
    The whole thing was done with my skew. I'm finally getting "sort of" comfortable with it!
    All suggestions welcome.
    My Dad used to turn composite bowls with cork. He always reckoned razour shape tools and max rpms along with small cuts. He used to get so sharp that you could shave with them
    Sanding done the same way, very gently.

As one not totally un-familar with the fruit of the grape It seems theres a shortage of cork for the bottling of wine. So gather as many as you can, apparently Portugal the main supplier to the world has not been able to keep up with the demand. So we are going to screw caps big time..............an Oz innovation...
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Sorry to hear about your Mum - a rough time for you by the sounds.

Now you can have a bubbly toast in her memory - nice stopper.

JD
    "No point getting older if you don't get smarter"

how about a straw sticking through one of those plastic container end caps?

Gosh nice work!

Personally I use my corks to tie up fishing rigs!. Line goes the the sinker and then a leader with the hooks and a cork at the top!

Wonder if a turned cork gets more fish?

Studley
    Aussie Hardwood Number One

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Studley 2436 View Post
    Gosh nice work!

Personally I use my corks to tie up fishing rigs!. Line goes the the sinker and then a leader with the hooks and a cork at the top!

Wonder if a turned cork gets more fish?

Studley
    Thanks Studley.
    I too use corks for fishing, although, I must say I only use wine corks for that. I am not a bubbly drinker, can't stand the stuff! Quite partial to the odd red though, so I have plenty (corks that is- not wine unfortunately!). Very partial to the amber ale, although I haver to watch the waist line!
    Obviously presentation is the name of the game when catching fish (not that I am an expert by any means)! If the fish see your making the effort in presenting the "bait" then I am sure they will recipirocate!

As one not totally un-familar with the fruit of the grape It seems theres a shortage of cork for the bottling of wine. So gather as many as you can, apparently Portugal the main supplier to the world has not been able to keep up with the demand. So we are going to screw caps big time..............an Oz innovation... <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    That makes 2 of us Thanks for the tip on the iminent cork shortage! I have a friend who works at a top resteraunt in Byron Bay. He said he will collect a lot for me. I will be gathering corks by the cubic metre now!
    Bring back the flagon (remember those big glass bottles?)- ban the cask! And the plasic cork!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast