Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question What is the Best Router???

If you did not have a router and were to purchase just one, what would it be??

I'm looking to get a new router that will be a universal as possible, I only want one. The things that come to mind are it weight Vs power, tool capabilities, function capabilities, reliability, ease of use, etc. I don't really want to pay Festool type prices.

I have just read the review in the Australian Woodwork Review and they are leaning towards the DeWalt. Any thoughts or opinions???

All info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dilly

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Triton
    Boring signature time again!

Best in a router table, the Triton (large).

best all rounder, The Triton 1400W
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Hallidays Point - the land of blackbutt and swamp mahogany

ditto
    "... it is better to succeed in originality than to fail in imitation" (Herman Melville's letters)

I_wanna_Shed is offline Now I've got a 10x14m shed! I need a new name...

If I was buying again I would go for a large Triton - mainly because it will spend most of its time in the router table, and the above table bit changing would save my back and knees. The height winder compatibility and easy adjustment would also be good.

Hi Dilly,fairly popular response to your post and without a doubt the Triton is a popular brand of router of which they produce a couple of,nominally a large router probably best suited for router table usage.

and then...

The smaller one like any small router is ideal for a comfortable hand type of operation.

However before you do decide on the router you want look at where you intend to use it because a hefty router can be tiring if by hand over a protracted period, however a medium sized router that is comfortable to hold and has all the features you wish for will still carry out most of the tasks you want.

May I suggest you do some more search's on this forum for a more in depth liklihood of info on routers...there is reams of info of router purchases and with positive responses.

I have a lot of routers but a given would most likely be the Triton if I was starting out from scratch.

Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Interesting, thanks people. Just had a quick look at some of the posts on these units and I ask the question, are these an old GMC unit, if so is the quality/accuracy OK??

Any ideas on a good mortice jig to suit??
    Regards,

Dilly

:2tsup:
    Cheers!

Absolutely nothing to do with GMC design etc - the Triton router design pre-dates the GMC purchase of the company.

Quality / accuracy are all above standard, and the price bracket the Triton routers occupy. There are very likely to be better routers out there, but you will be paying significantly more for them, and unless you plan to physically torture the router (thumbscrews and bamboo under the nails), the Triton will more than satisfy.

One point to qualify - the baby (1400W) Triton is a great all-rounder, but if you only ever plan on handheld work, it is not as good as some other brands (the handles are not low enough to really give fine control.) However, if you want one that will do a good job, both handheld and table mounted, then it is ideal. If the router will spend 90% of its time in the table, then the 2400W Triton is an absolute beast that will exceed your expectations.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

1 router really doesn't suit all jobs.

You really need a 1/2" router for bigger cuts such as dadoes etc
    Small routers are working overtime for these jobs

and a 1/4" router for edges and mouldings.
    Because big routers are heavier and more torquey can get very tiring.

I suggest you get a good 1/2" router and a cheap 1/4" Gmc
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Who just wants one router?

I have 6, each has a job and is suited to that job.

If you want a router to put into a table, get the 2400W Triton, if it's to do table and hand held work get the smaller Triton.

I can't do without my Ryobi trimmer, I use it on 95% of all of the jobs that I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dilly View Post
    .............snip................
    Any ideas on a good mortice jig to suit??

Rocker's
    Boring signature time again!

Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

I have 2 a cheap gmc 1200 and triton 1400.

The gmc I have used a lot and it is pretty comfy for hand held work and great value for a cheapie. The depth controls are pretty crap and it is a bit$ to set up. Once set it is smooth and cuts well with good bits. 1/2" or 1/4"

The triton 1400 I have had for only a short time and after an initial glitch, which triton went out of their way to put right, I have found it to be all I felt is lacking in the cheap gmc and it is a great tool. Way above the gmc in ease of setup and accuracy. I use it the table mostly as it is not real comfy for hand held work but I guess that is cos I learnt with the gmc. It has a finger operated trigger and molded hand grips that the triton lacks. But hey the triton handles double as a hieght adjuster and the off on switch is ok when you get used to it.

If you want only one router, get the triton 1400 IMHO the best by far for that price point.
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'

Default What a good question....

Hi all

This is a question we're asked frequently;it's also a question we ask our suppliers in the US.

In a perfect world, we'd all have 3 routers; Table Mounted Beast, Handheld workhorse and a Trimmer for fine detail work. To suggest candidates for each category.

Table DeWalt 625, build quality, mid-range pricing / Triton TRA001, value for money, all round performer.

Handheld Hitachi TR12, tried and tested / Triton 1400w, looks good but no 1st hand experience.

Trimmer Makita / Maktec seem to have this segment well covered.

A list of Pro's & Con's of all routers would be an interesting topic to address at sometime.

BTW we don't sell routers, but do listen to a lot of users.

Regards

The Woodworker

Tr12's brilliant in a table, can't killem even with a power feeder running door stiles single cut full depth

only downside is fixed speed
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Great thread. Saw one of those Ryobi trimmers the other day at Bunnies. Would love to hear others views on this tool. Makita is a great looking solid tool but too $$$$ for me at present.
    Regards
    Jeff

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    Mark Twain

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast