Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hand cranked drill press

Hi all

I just bought a hand cranked drill press at a Trash 'n Treasure and wondered if anybody knows anything about it - I havn't seen one before. Can find nothing on the internet about it.

The only markings on it are 'The Globe' and Australia 403. I am pretty pleased with it as it seems to be in good working order, although I am yet to drill a hole.

A large cam on the hand crank gradually pushes the chuck down as it rotates by means of a ratchet and levers.

Have attached a photo

Anyone?
    Last edited by Shane Watson; 11th July 2003 at 08:17 AM.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

RoadToad

Nice find! I spied one on eBay a few months ago, which was going cheaply, but the cost of shipping across Oz to Perth was exorbitant.

Now wait for Armageddon and you'll be the only one drilling!

Another one for us Neanderthals.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for the comments Derek

Not too cheap I hope ... I paid $80 for it.

haha ... yes, I know what you mean about the cost of shipping ... I had enough trouble lugging it to the car!

Armageddon too - although I suspect the drilling would be rather slow. Still there may be a plentiful supply of cheap labour under those circumstances!

Any idea of the 'provenance' ? (do old tools have provenance? I don't know.) I would like to find out who used to make them and when etc

Cheers

Neil aka RoadToad

$80 sounds a little too much for an anchor. Jeez, you blokes and your old scrap metal.

yeah well that is one way of looking at it, I suppose, but it should outlast you and me and every electric drill in the country...

I know I could buy a modern crappy press for the same money. Guess I just appreciate the simple design and the amount of effort that went into making it.

RoadToad,

Don't be offended, I had fun time with Derek earlier this week on the subject of his piece of sh...er..Porsche bomb....er car. Your post is in the same vein, so I couldn't resist . Nothing personal.

Yes toad my brotherinlaw has one just like it.

I was once co opted to crank it.

drilling progressed reasonably quickly i thaught.

His version had a groove for a belt drive on the crank wheel.

Commonly known as a blacksmiths drill.

More productive than an exercise bike and better for the upper body.

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate its not worth a cracker but if u want u can freight it to me and Ill use it as a mooring anchor for my canoe
    I pay the freight to help u out
    What this country needs are more unemployed politicians.
    Edward Langley, Artist (1928-1995)

Ok guys, thats fine, give it to me straight. I can take it. No ken, I'm not offended, all comments are fine by me as long as there is some humour (or information) in there somewhere. So thx so far, and I'm still happy with it DESPITE the anchor remarks.

With a sharp drill bit that old lump of cast iron will drill a hole pretty quickly. I have a similar, but most probably older, drill and it still wotks fine. You need to keep them well oiled and be a bit patient but they will do the job quite well.
    Muscle development is a bit one-sided though.

RoadToad dont know if its any help but this site has a few "Post Drills" they are restoring . http://www.grm.net/~shlosser/yeold.htm
    Neal

Thumbs up

Thanks Neal

I appreciate the effort. yep enjoyed the site. have found
    a few more bits on post drills, since.

Cheers Neil aka RoadToad

Smile

Thanks Dennis too

Oh well, some muscle development better than none! Have to spin iy 180 degrees occasionally and wind backwards!!

think you will find you can fit a motor on that drill. A flat belt driving on to the fly wheel.
    DonN

Its interesting you should say that Don, as in my web browsing i had just been reading something about just that thing, although not on this particular drill. (here is a good restoration of an older drill press, by the way (http://home.att.net/~ilikerust/postdrill.html).

When you mentioned a belt drive and my drill press my immediate reaction was 'no way' but then I went and had a look. Now I'm not so sure but I don't know much about these things..... Here is a photo I just took showing the flywheel from above. (No 'get a life' comments thanks, anyone!) Would a belt stay on that wheel?

Cheers Neil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast