Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dungeon HF Captured Rig!!

OK, I put a lot of thought into this, before I built it, but start to finish was about 4 hours, not counting a coffee break or two

I decided to make this up today, as I had all of the welding stuff out, and the Dungeon was a mess anyways so why not just make a bigger mess, and get this done!!

Attachment 44713
    I started out turning down one end of the solid piece of steel rod so it would fit inside the pipe that I'm going to make the D-handle out of. This took some time, and my scraper needed a lot of resharpening, but I got it done.....

Attachment 44714
    Not bad for a wood lathe, I think!

Attachment 44715
    Fits just right

Attachment 44716
    There is even a bit of a shoulder for it to stop at.

Now onto the "D" handle....

Attachment 44717
    I cut the pipe at 45s and then welded it up, worked well, I added a few nuts with allen bolts to hold the tool insert, and then I ground the D-handle smooth.

I then built the tip of the tool, not much there but a bit of grinding, then filing, drill a hole and tap it, and I have a tool tip.
    It's a Family thing.....

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Attachment 44718
    I cut up an old circular saw blade that a buddy Mark Rios sent me (thanks again Mark!) and it works OK, but the steel is a bit on the thin side, I need to find something that is more like at least an 1/8" thick, if not more, and is for sure HSS, dunno if the saw blade was...

The capture part was next, this was fairly simple, I was working hard to get it done, so I did not take any "In progress pics" (I know, I know) as the cell camera and hot steel and sparks to do with welding don't really mix either (nor do my dirty hands all over the cell phone).

All you get is the finished product...............

Attachment 44721
    A head stock view

Attachment 44722
    from the other end

Attachment 44719
    here is the part that captures the D-handle, simple and works like a trick!

Attachment 44720
    I chucked up one of the ROCK hard Keyaki blanks, this stuff is seriously hard, I DNAed it on July 28th 2006 (the wrapper said) so it was seriously dry and when so, it is seriously hard!!

The rig worked fine, the only thing is the tool tip dulled in about 1 minute of scraping!

so I did something about that too...............
    It's a Family thing.....

..........I bought some REAL HHS square bit blanks......

Attachment 44723

One is 6 mm and the other is 8 mm, I'm using the 6 mm pieces, with a 7 degree grind on the cutting part.

Attachment 44724
    I made this side rig, with the bit sticking out at an angle.....

I made a hole about 5 cm wide and about that deep with my bowl gouge, then I tried out the new tool.....

Attachment 44725
    ........and it worked!!

Attachment 44726

Yep, there is a hollow bit there.............

Next up, I figured a boring bar was in order.............
    It's a Family thing.....

............. so I made one!!

I put my newly restored old drill press to work!!

Attachment 44727

Attachment 44728

I then put the longer piece in the end there, and had at it.........

Attachment 44729

Attachment 44730

Yep, that works !!

I'm going to have to fire up my forge and make a swan neck version.......

Cheers!
    It's a Family thing.....

So Stu I know your in Tokyo but you turners talk a different langauge
    Mike
    "Working to a rigidly defined method of doubt and uncertainty"

Quote Originally Posted by m2c1Iw View Post
    So Stu I know your in Tokyo but you turners talk a different language

Yeah, I guess we do

Sorry about that, any questions?

Cheers!
    It's a Family thing.....

Stu, as an ex metal turner, I'm absolutely intrigued!! Having no fixed tool post (ie metal lathe) How did you adapt for turning?? What tool did you use? How did you clamp/hold cutting tool for the cut??

Congrats.....a great thread!!!!
    Cheers all !!

Bruce

(If you don't try...........you'll never know!)

Stu,

Welcome back...long time no see

Dunno which you do best. The equipment build or the tute. As usual a very nice job

Love the steel turning.... now that I have not tried. Necessity I guess is mother of invention as always.

If your looking for HSS scraper blades, look around in your neighborhood for a engineering shop that handles/cuts etc thin walled tube especially stainless. They use a 'cold saw' The blade is HSS and around 14'' dia and 1/8 thick at the edge thicker toward the centre. They are prone to splitting in half, over time and they make very good scraper blades.

In Oz the shop will give the you old bits if they have any.
    http://www.oceanmachinery.com/cold-saw-blades.htm
    You can cut them with the 1mm thick cut off friction discs . To get holes I blow them with the arc welder, drilling has never been successfull for me.
    If you have access to a plasma arc then the blade will slice up like butter.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Hi Stu,

Your a legend mate was thinking of buying something like that in the future but was trying to work out how I was going to afford it.

I am sure its something I can make along the same lines.

Can you tell us what type of diameter pipe you used and what about a video so we can see it in action, and also add it to the member videos?
    I like to move it move it, I like to move it.

Thought that dungeon must have swallowed you up Stu - been a long time between projects! Great 'how-to' as usual - and after the 'little incident' I had with a hollowing job last night I think it's time I bit the bullet and followed your lead.

Quote Originally Posted by hughie View Post
    .... To get holes I blow them with the arc welder, drilling has never been successfull for me.
    Gotta get yourself a set of these drills Hughie (pictured). Best thing since sliced bread mate! Made the little scraper from an old planer blade and put the hole through it in seconds - files, HSS, you name it - actually bought them to drill a broken tap out of some stainless steel (any excuse for a new toy! ) - did the job nicely!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce101 View Post
    .....Having no fixed tool post (ie metal lathe) How did you adapt for turning?? What tool did you use? How did you clamp/hold cutting tool for the cut??
    I'd like to see more of that too!
    Updated 8th of February 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce101 View Post
    Stu, as an ex metal turner, I'm absolutely intrigued!! Having no fixed tool post (ie metal lathe) How did you adapt for turning?? What tool did you use? How did you clamp/hold cutting tool for the cut??

Congrats.....a great thread!!!!
    Ditto for the congratulations. As regards the technique, the photo is self-explanatory as regards the tool rest, and the tool I guess is a square scraper cutting on any of the corners (with frequent sharpening of all 4 and a good sanding afterwards...) That's how I have done it (ETA on brass, that's easier), anyway... but I can't call myself a turner! Did I guess right?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank&Earnest View Post
    Ditto for the congratulations. As regards the technique, the photo is self-explanatory as regards the tool rest, and the tool I guess is a square scraper cutting on any of the corners (with frequent sharpening of all 4 and a good sanding afterwards...) That's how I have done it (ETA on brass, that's easier), anyway... but I can't call myself a turner! Did I guess right?

You guessed right!

Yes, frequent visits to the grinder are needed, but it really don't take that long, remember, this is mild steel I'm turning, and the turning tools are HSS

Thanks for the comments guys, I got busy over at another forum that some of us started, well I kind of got dragged into it, not complaining, but it is a heck of a lot of work!

Nice to come here and let my hair down

The Dungeon has not got me yet!!

Video eh?

Well, we DID buy a brand new spanking video camera as my eldest graduated from elementary school..... (yes, the have these HUGE ceremonies when you grad from grade school!! ).

I'll work on the video.....

Cheers!
    It's a Family thing.....

Excellent stuff, Stu! Almost tempts me to make my own... but the long walk to my local steel supplier (and my inherent laziness ) puts the kabosh on that. For a while, anyway...

Still, I've saved this thread to my HDD.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

I really like the interchangeable intermediate shaft for different end configurations. I've turned brass by hand, but I'm not too keen on turning steel by hand, even mild steel; might have to consider it just for the thrill. For those of us without welding skills or tools, I think the D-handle could be made with lapped corners (maybe two bolts each corner). This would also eliminate any possibility of slipping off the capture frame while you're concentrating on the business end. Of course, just a wee bit of planning would avoid this anyway.

TTIT, cobalt drills work pretty well in harder steel, too. Haven't tried them in HSS yet.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Joe, a hole drilled vertically, through the back end of the D-handle, with a nail dropped through it, will keep it from sneaking through the capture rig.
    That's the way I made mine. (Only the nail is a hinge pin).
    Nice setup, Stu!
    Al
    Some minds are like concrete thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast