Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Blonde timber finishes

I am about to build a chest of drawers in qld silver ash and want to keep the blonde appearance with a minimum of yellowing. Any help would be appreciated. Am a bit partial to a waxed style of finish

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Talking

Easy.

White shellac base cut back with 600-1200 grit abrasibe or 0000 steel wool and finished with wax. Preferably U-Beaut's Traditional Wax, but suit yourself. If you're not after the best use another wax.

There will be no yellowing. The colour will not change any more than putting water on to the wood.

See Raw Timber 2 and Waxed French Polish (substitute white shellac for brown)

Hope this helps.

Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.

White shellac is definately the go here . A couple of good coats rubbed in with 0000 steel wool. Cut back with 600 upwards fine paper and, a Wax mull finish .

Thumbs up

Yeah, what Neil said!

If you want or prefer wax finishes then thats really the only way to go. Just about everything else will add colour to the wood.

There are waterbased waterclear laquer finishes available, but they won't really give you that wax look and feel....

Cheers
    Shane..

I've been using blonde shellac with good results....white shellac is softer, possibly cos it contains wax ? I apply 3 to 4 coats, scuffing with 320 aluminium oxide paper between coats....I rub back the second last coat with 00 steel wool then use 0000 steel wool after the final coat , sometimes using a bit of rottenstone for extra cut....finish with a fine paste wax.
    Cheers