Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inoperable

Default Inoperable

Hey guys.
    Iam in a wee spot of bother
    For those who followed it, it ais a continuation of things i've explained in this thread here.
    http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ad.php?t=48847

More recently i have just had another brain turn up on a scan. I went in for surgery on the 18th but they found that it had become too solid and invasive to remove much safely. They decided to keep the bits that "make me me" (as they put it) and iam glad they did.

I've recovered well but they could only remove about 60% and it will probably come back fast. I iam doing a new form of chemotherapy but obviously things depend on how fast it comes back and whether it responds to the chemo.

The prognosis is not good but for the moment iam relatively healthy and have several major sculpture projects that i want to get done and would be very happy to leave them as a legacy. I have fantastic support aroundme to do so, all the resources, no guilt from working full time on these things and some great ideas (i think so anyway ) to do.

Really. its a fantastic point in my life as hard as that might sound. Free reign to be me.

Ben
    Art has now be-come
    Sim-ply an ex-cuse to sit
    In the Sun . What Fun!
    BC-haiku

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ben

My offer still stands.. Good luck and keep us posted.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Its good to hear that in spite of whats happening to you physically that you have a creative outlet that you're enjoying - Good stuff Ben and I hope that you continue to get as much enjoyment out of it for as long as you can.

Great to hear about your positive outlook inspite of what's happening to you

If you need help with anything, moving timber around or picking stuff up or just want a chat, give us a PM as I am in the area often.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Bugger! Crossing fingers and toes and doing everything like that in hopes it doesn't come back as fast, or come back at all.

Wendy

I hope all turns out good for you Ben
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Thanks guys. Things dont look good but, you do never know. Prepare for the worst but dont discount the fact that some things will always be unknown.
    Art has now be-come
    In the Sun . What Fun!
    BC-haiku

Default Your strength is mighty powerful...

You don't know me...but I lost my darling husband to Cancer...it was oh so quick...with in 3 weeks he could not talk or walk.........I loved him so much...
    I am sitting here in tears writing to you...wishing I could be a friend just to visit... I do not understand life...we are given such a wonderous gift of being able to love & care.... why does it have to hurt so much to say farewell to our loved one...I understand what you mean by a legacy that is why I make my furniture so my children, will always have something to remember me by.... I call my furniture a living heirloom, stuff they need now but will last a hundred years... I exist from day to day... but I am not really living anymore....my heart & soul left with Ed... if I could change places with my Ed I would....I am sure he would cope better alone than I am....sorry I have to go.. my understanding & concern for you are heartfelt...you sound strong in spirit & I wish every possibility available to you, my tears will not help you, but your strength helps me....as Ed was unable to speak or move I am sure his thoughts were strong & resolved...as yours sound...
    my love for you & your family are extended...Kerry Kelly-Moroney

you might like to see our link..
    http://Groups.msn.com/WOODWORKCountryCottage
    Don't think you're playing it safe by walking in the middle of the road.....that's the surest way to get hit by traffic coming from both ways!
    I'm passionate about woodwork.......making Sawdust again & loving it!

Thinking of you Ben. Looking forward to seeing those sculptures.

Cheers...................Sean

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Ben hangin there

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Looking forward to seeing those sculptures.
    Yeah me too
    Art has now be-come
    In the Sun . What Fun!
    BC-haiku

After reading your story, Ben, I just want you to know I'll be thinking about you, wondering how you are going and so on. My brother's going through the early stages of a cancer diagnosis (prostate).

You sound strong.

Hi Ben,
    You are doing us all a favour being so open and upbeat about this. I can imagine the sculptures will be a source of strength for you. Please post pics as you go, if you can manage it. I for one would love to see the journey and the results from such a focused project.

All the best
    Andy Mac
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Mac View Post
    Hi Ben,
    You are doing us all a favour being so open and upbeat about this. I can imagine the sculptures will be a source of strength for you. Please post pics as you go, if you can manage it. I for one would love to see the journey and the results from such a focused project.

All the best
    For the first time in my life i will be documenting these pieces. I've been of the school of "Ill show people only if i dont stuff up"

But if your going to commit, times like this would be a hell of a good time to do so.
    Art has now be-come
    In the Sun . What Fun!
    BC-haiku

One of these projects will be from a wooden beam of cypress or pine and will be relatively simple. Its intended to be piece that i will offer to donate to the Austin Hospitials Radiotherapy department as a token of my appreciation at the care they gave me during treatment in 2005.
    I havent yet worked out the exaact details but hopefully will soon just to have a project to work on. Carving, sun, coffee, birds, bliss

The other is extremely complicated and is almost an engineering feat in itself so its requiring a lot of preplanning.

i have a natural featured, partly rotten desert ironwood stump which will be partially carved and be sitting reccessed within a carved piece of Cararra marble that has been sitting in my garden for the last 2 years. This block has been taunting me constantly.

The pure white colour says to me that it needs to be human/figurative but the block is an awkward size to resolve a form in.

A while back i had a magical moment where a combination of several possible solutions to both puzzles came together in a way that tied so many things together and gave me a more physical sense of how i might make a marble sculpture with an inset wooden piece.

I know enough now to start doing mock ups and clay work and work out what exactly is possible.

You better believe iam going to document this one
    Art has now be-come
    In the Sun . What Fun!
    BC-haiku

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast