Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kkk

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Default Kkk

Kompletely Knackered Knee, I had an argument with a desk about two months ago and lost, stood up and collected the edge of the desk with my patella, hurt like buggery but the pain subsided after a short while.
    A bit of aching for a few days then 12 days later I was kneeling inside a van and felt like someone shoved a spike into my kneecap.
    I was absolutely buggered and couldn't walk, a trip to my GP and I was prescribed MObic (anti inflammatory) and light duties.
    Swelling subsided a little but was still sore and I developed a limp, after a few more trips to GP (this is a workcover matter too) I asked if physio would help 'of course it would' she replies.
    I went for my firts session late last week and was told that my patella had shifted and the muscle on the inside of my leg was wasting, hence the limp, given a series of exercises to do and strpped up with corrective taping.
    All good and have a few more sessions to go.
    My biggest beef at the moment is with the GP, why didn't she refer me to a physio in the first place so I could get the damned thing fixed before the muscle deteriorated.
    Just a general beef and grizzle because this could have been fixed weeks ago nrather than me having to hobble around the place feeling like a bloody cripple.
    And the people I work with are having to do some of my work because I'm not allowed to and this makes me feel useless too.
    And Al, before y6ou say I am useless, I know, SWMBO told me
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Get some Comphrey cream & rub it in.
    There are a couple of types, I like the cream in a tube best as it rubs in & doesn't stay sticky.
    There is an ointment that comes in a small jar & it works too but it leave a sticky grease on your skin that is hard to wash off & if you get it on your hands, eventually you end up with it in your eye(s) & it is not good there.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Good luck skippy
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Kids are happy, can't kick their bums

Hey,

bad luck with the knee.

You need to see a surgeon. The swelling will cause the muscle to relax so the excercises are good.

But, If you have moved the patella chances are that you would have torn a small amount of carlidge and maybe ground some bone away. If this is in there, even a small bit, the knee will continue to swell and cause the muscle to keep shrinking.

I am on my 8th or 9th surgery and every time a little flakes off I have all sorts of probs.

Best pain relief I found is vicks blue gel in a blue jar with white lid. Goes on cool but takes the pain away. You know there is something not right in there but cant feel the pain

good luck.

dazzler

I also have a dicky knee.

Saw the physio and muscles on the inside of the leg were also weak.

Have done a series of exercises now for about 2 years and so far few problems. I was sceptical at first, but stuck at it and started getting good results after about 2 weeks.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Buzzer; 5th August 2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: brain fade
    Cheers,
    Buzzer

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    And Al, before y6ou say I am useless, I know, SWMBO told me
    As if I would?

Al

Thanks Al, hugs and kisses for you
    Thanks for the other info too from everyone else, I would offer the same but Al just gets plain jealous

Gees, dont start me on dicky knees.

About 15 years ago, going a bit to fast with a dodgy step off ski trying to barefoot water ski, big prang, outcome: left knee snapped posterior cruciate, torn anterior cruciate, and torn medial ligament. Cartlidge totally torn and detached.

Had the reco about 8 yrs ago-they used quad tendon from right knee to do reco. Had to take a piece of bone from right patella with tendon attached. There was 50% chance of breaking the patella when they did this, and of course, this happened.

7.5 hrs surgery, woke up with both legs in splints (for the next 6 weeks, except for physio), doped to the eyeballs with morphine, (ain't that some good gear) about 50 odd staples in all the wounds, and 6 screws holding all the bits and pieces together.

The quad muscle is supposedly the biggest muscle in the body. It is the quickest to deteriorate and the hardest to regenerate-after 6 weeks of minimal usage, it took me 2 years of constant work and physio to get it back to the strength that it previously was.

Every thing going fine until January 07. Rush of blood to the head, moving a little too fast over uneven ground and over I went. Result was fracture to the tibia just below knee and 8 mm compression to top of tibia about the size of 10 cent piece.

The reco ligaments weren't damaged but I am now waiting to have a half knee replacement-something my orthopaedic surgeon always said would have to happen, he just didn't want it to happen until I was about 55. Unfortunately I'm only 42.

Feb 08 looks to be when it will happen-and am I looking forward to that.

I am now allergic to Morphine, can only have pethadine and that is only 1/4 as good as the morphine so pain relief is not as good.

Life of a replacement is currently around 10 years, so I can look forward to having about 5 of them if all things go to plan

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Dean View Post
    s only 1/4 as good
    You just need to take 4 times as much
    Mick

avantguardian

Default knee stuff

Hi All,

In my other (non WW) job, i teach anatomy, sports medicine, exercise therapy and a few other related subjects.

The problem is not just that the quadriceps muscle weakens, but that it is formed from four portions (rectus femoris, vastus lateralis, vastus intermedius and vastus medialis). The rectus femoris lies on top and the three vastus muscles cover the front and sides of the femur (thigh bone). The problem that most people experience is an imbalance of the vastus lateralis on the outside of the thig and the vastus medialis on the inside. The vastus medialis is a lot weaker than the lateralis and is less able to pull the patella into its correct gliding position. This pulls the back of the patella over a sharp surface of the femur and degrades the cartilage which causes pain (especially when kneeling or going down stairs etc).

The other common problem is when the anterior cruciate ligament ruptures. This ligament is located within the knee joint (with the posterior cruciate ligament) and may be ruptured during rotational movements of the leg relative to the thigh. The surgery mentioned in previous of using the middle third of the patella ligament (the portion of the ligament that connects the patella to the leg bone (tibia) is not used commonly now as there are better alternatives with fewer possible complications.

The most common form of knee reconstruction is to use two tendons (a portion of one of the hamstring muscles called the semitendinosis and another muscle called the gracilis), joining them together and passing them through a tunnel formed by drilling through the femur. This gives a less strong reconstruction, but has fewer side effects than the patella ligament version. Other options for knee reconstructions are using cadaveric ACL's (from deceased individuals) or a new process of using a persons own stem cells that are seeded onto a biodegradable plastic that breaks down in time. The stem cells are stimulated to make the tissue of the ACL and then when the plastic degrades, the soft tissue is the new ACL.

I hope this has not been too long winded and boring.Good luck to all those with dicky knees!.

Gavin

Default more knee stuff

PS to above - a knee reconstruction usually refers to the replacement or reconfiguring of the knee ligamens (especially hte ACL) and the term knee replacement is a resurfaceing and replacement of the articular surfaces of the bones. The articular surface is the part of the bone involved in the joint surface and allows one bone to move around another.

Sounds like you have a patellofemoral joint injury which should NOT be confused with some of the other situations described above.
    The kneecap (patella) rides on the front side of the end of the femur(thigh bone) in a groove. When you knocked your knee you damaged the mating surface and this needs to heal. the ecercises for building up the inner part of the front thigh muscle (quadriceps medialis) are important to ensure that the kneecap tracks properly.
    I had this earlier this year too.
    Jeff

All is pretty good now, just the odd twinge and sometimes an ache on a cold night.
    SEx doesn't seem to affect it..........................so I'm told

am getting two new knees next year,can hardly wait after hobbling around for the last three years with no cartlidge, got arthriscophic? done to both knees at once and they never recovered after that, will wear knee-pads in next life instead of crawling around roofes on my knees for twenty years,look after them.bob
    ps i think sex does affect them ,if you have to crawl as much as me to get one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast