Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Timber Projectiles...!

Hi everyone,

Timber projectiles? How lucky are you with them?
    Hope luckier them me, I just had one this evening, that nearly took my head off. A very heavy peace of hardwood, after been round and clean at slow speed, didn't like the 2440 RPM, as it come out in two peaces, one hitting the shed's wall, making a heck of a noise and dint, the other one decided to go up and smash the double fluorescent light, just above my head. This log is about 3 kg and one peace is around double in size of the other. I had to take a photo, and share this in this forum, I'm certain lots of you guys, experienced some hairy stuff also, huh? lets share it...!

Cheers
    GV

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I never used to wear a face field. I have pretty thick glasses that I always joked were bullet proof so I'd be alright if I got hit. I've dodged a lot of chucks in that time too. About 6 years ago a mate who also wears glasses had a piece let go and hit him in the cheek and eye brow. The lenses of his glasses survived the impact easily - didn't even break the frames. But! The lense popped out of the frame and was driven into the eyeball effectively destroying it. Ironically if he hadn't had his glasses on he'd still have his eye as the piece was too large to have contacted the eye (obviously he should have been wearing a face shield...). Needless to say since then I wear a face shield religiously.

Brown pants time Huh.

It certainly is scary, I have had a couple let go on me, always wear either a face shield or the triton (Depends if it is charged). It has saved my head at least twice. Last time I had a goblet split right down the middle. (Bummer as it had perfect wall thickness all the way down) One piece hit the back wall and the other hit where my forehead should have been.

Usually it is caused by a fault in the timber (Though at least one was caused by a DU error)
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Toolin Around View Post
    I wear a face shield religiously.
    I know what you mean.

I stand clear, switch on...... and pray!

Cheers,

P

Actually GV, I would definitely say you're definitely lucky given the size of those chunks of hardwood. Unlucky would have been wearing a piece on the forehead!

I will watch this thread with great interest. I have seen some of the horror stories and a few pictures, but I'm guessing we don't see too many of the really good/bad ones. Of course, while it's mostly timber that seems to exit the lathe at speed, I've seen that it's also broken chisels that can fly around the workshop like ninja knives. Holey Moley!

I have a current thread here which examines the pros & cons of segmented versus solid turning, and it's somewhat interesting that several of the comments referred to failure of the segmented pieces while turning. To me it seems that solid pieces can be more dangerous because of unseen faults & defects within the piece, and there is also the necessity to start of with unbalanced, irregular pieces.

When you have a look at the inside of the piece you were turning the problem/s is somewhat more obvious. Yikes! You deserve some points for even putting that on a lathe. Looks like I've gotta get me a good face shield.
    Don't Just Do It.... Do It HardenFast!!

Regards - Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by bitingmidge View Post
    I know what you mean.

I stand clear, switch on...... and pray!

Cheers,

P
    Didn't you see my post in the census thread about listing your religion as woodworking. that way your shed becomes the place of worship... And any offering to s the god would then become tax deductible (One can only try)
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

2440 is a bit fast for something like that I reckon.

You can put that one in your 'experience' file.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

I had one a couple of months ago that exploded and one of the larger chunks flew across the shed missing my head by mm's and totally destroyed my CD player. It had travelled about 3 meters before contacting the music machine

It could have been much worse tho it missed me completely.

I have been really lucky, I have only had a couple of small bits hit me above the shoulders and one large blank (that some idiot didn't secure in the chuck properly ) hit me in the chest but only caused a bruise and a little cut.
    There's no such thing as gravity, the world sux!!

Hmmm I agree that the speed was a little.......... ..imprudent.
    Just looking at the blank...... splitty, cracky......hmmmmm......a brave attempt at any speed in my view.

remember there is a farmyard bird that my be able to help you in these situations...now what was it.

chicken. .....no
    goose......maybe not
    turkey....not in this situation
    I know
    DUCK

of if you are too slow

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Ive had two come off, both using my cole jaws on out of round wood. One went over my shoulder and put a dent in the back wall of the shed. The other was last week and i copped a piece of Sasafrass in the chest, the bruise is just fading now.

Benji

G'Day GV

When I was first shown how to use a lathe I was told to always stand aside, and to rest one end of the gouge on the toolrest and the other end on the piece of mounted wood, at an angle, before turning on. this simple action deflects the wood away from you. After a while it becomes second nature,just like putting you car seat belt on. (Pic #1) It works for me

Also if you make a bush for your toolrest so it is always at the same height helps stop digins (see pic #2)
    Cheers
    Bernie
    Last edited by BernieP; 15th August 2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: add photo

Bump added Pictures

Cheers
    Bernie

Bernie.

Would have thought, if the wood went ballistic, it would also send the chisel ballistic . What is stopping the chisel flying off?

When starting I always stand out of the firing line

My Other Toys

Cliff has the right of this. I would only use that speed for something small and short, like pens.

That diameter, probably run at 800-1000, . Pick up to 1200 -1500 for finishing cuts and detail, if necessary.

Secondly, that was a fairly seriously cracked bit of timber. If cracking is visible on blank, or shows up on roughing, proceed with caution.

Thirdly, use your ears. A cracked piece will often announce itself by a different sound while cutting.

Finally, I have adapted my turning style, so that (particularly with faceplate work) I seldom stand in the danger zone. Even more so with big, gnarly, spalted, cracked and other such unsavoury characters. This is more problematic with b/c pieces, but can still be done to a degree.
    Alastair

G'Day Gra

One would hope you would have hold of one end of the chisel ? As I say works for me

Cheers
    Bernie

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast