Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default shipping method from the U.S.

Hello fellow woodies,

I am interested in purchasing some goods from the U.S. which are not available anywhere in Australia and was informed by the U.S. retailer that I can select either of the 2 shipping methods;

"Shipping by US Postal Service will be approximately $US16 but will not be insured and can take 2-5 weeks to arrive.

UPS will be about $US81.78 but will be insured and will get to you in about 7 business days."

My question is, is the US Postal Service method reliable or should I go for the more expensive UPS; has anyone had a bad experience using US Postal Service?
    The price difference is huge and my purchace only costs $US175.89.

Thanks in advance,
    Evan

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Evan to be honest I have had more trouble with Australia post than USA. I know I sent a parcel to Gil here. I received his gorgeous wood but from me all he got was the label. (Gil I have not forgot you old mate) Poor bugger. USa at least tried to trace it for him. Australia said nothing they can do and left it that.
    hth
    Toni

Quote Originally Posted by lubbing5cherubs View Post
    Evan to be honest I have had more trouble with Australia post than USA. I know I sent a parcel to Gil here. I received his gorgeous wood but from me all he got was the label. (Gil I have not forgot you old mate) Poor bugger. USa at least tried to trace it for him. Australia said nothing they can do and left it that.
    hth
    Toni
    Hello Toni,

which method have you used from the US, US postal service or UPS. What I am most concerned about is purchasing uninsured merchandise, but using the UPS method is far too expensive for what I'm buying. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place which is why I'm enquiring about the reliability of the cheaper US Postal Service method.

Cheers, Evan

I have regularly used USPS for goods in excess of $500 and have never had a problem, also normally arrive within 2 weeks. When the retailer lodges the goods at the Postal Services, they will be given a tracking number, so that you can then keep track of it as well
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Timber View Post
    I have regularly used USPS for goods in excess of $500 and have never had a problem, also normally arrive within 2 weeks. When the retailer lodges the goods at the Postal Services, they will be given a tracking number, so that you can then keep track of it as well
    Thanks DJ, is insurance an option using USPS or you can't have it at all?

Evan

Evan,
    I use USPS often when I buy from suppliers like Craft Supplies USA. I find their service quick and reliable and like you said much cheaper. The parcels go through our Australia Post with no trouble at all. I used UPS twice and it took weeks to process. Don't believe that it takes longer by USPS than UPS as most of my stuff gets here in Darwin within 7 days. It usually takes 10 days to get a parcel from Melbourne to Darwin.
    Cheers
    Jeff

When I have had wood sent they found a flat box through USPS the cheapest way. I know they talk in a flat box and I fill it up for the cheapest way I do hope that helps you some
    Toni

Thanks guys,

looks like the cheaper USPS method has won the draw.
    UPS, bit of a joke at those prices . Thanks again.

Evan

Evan, if you go to the USPS website, you can use the online calculator to work out your cost and add insurance in after the 2nd or 3rd page. For $200 insurance I think you you'll be looking at about $2 to $5 on top off the normal shipping cost
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Evan, You haven't mentioned size and weight, which have a big effect on things.

However, I had a Makita 451 battery hammer drill kit (drill, case, charger, 2x 3AH L/ion bats) come in just before Christmas, abt 18 in x 18 in x 6 in plus outer packaging, 17lb pound package weight USPS Global Priority US$82.00. Fully trackable from the time the supplier prints the docket til it clears AU customs in Sydney. Seven days door to door and sig required.

http://ircalc.usps.gov/

Previously bought in the 140 impact driver full kit and 452 drill full kit from Woodcraft 11lb each package via FedEx for US$106. 7 days, fully trackable also.

Thanks guys for your assistance. I have one last question; has anyone had any issues with Australian customs or quarantine service when purchasing timber pen blanks from the US be it stabilised or standard?

Malb, my goods will fit in a small package about 6in. x 6in. x 2in.

Thanks again people,
    Evan

I've never had anything held back, had a parcel opened once to check the timber. As long as the custom declaration states that it's timber and it's free of bark, pinholes and spalting you shouldn't have any problems.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

ss_11000 is offline You've got to risk it to get the biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Pavlidis View Post
    Thanks guys for your assistance. I have one last question; has anyone had any issues with Australian customs or quarantine service when purchasing timber pen blanks from the US be it stabilised or standard?

Evan
    nothing wrong with the exotic pen blanks i got imported from CSUSA.
    and just today i got my radar gun from the states after it was posted on the 20th?? using usps priority mail. $30.50 for a 18 by 9 inch ( approx ) box.
    S T I R L O

Your shipper is really not with it post-wise - maybe he is an agent for UPS.

For about $10US you can get a flat rate Express envelope that can have a few pounds (a couple of Kilo's) of goods stuffed in it - takes about a week to Australia, has tracking & insurance included in the price. I have had quite a few shipments now of sundry goods - books, RTV molds etc. sent without a problem.

I have also encountered some really odd US companies - they refuse to ship express or have the parcel insured at your expense, and/or charge your card immediately and only ship when you sic the Credit card company on them. I've had them charge for Air & then send the goods surface with just an address label stuck to the manufacturer's packaging, then abuse me for complaining about their poor service. Strangely, I no longer deal with anyone who stuffs me around - they get one chance, no more.

There are too many fine & reasonable companies out there to bother with tossers like that. Lee Valley, Highland Hardware, Rockler get my money.

That specially applies to UPS - a pack of gougers from way back.

My wife's three siblings moved to the US in the early 70's and they have been sending Xmas and birthday presents via US Post to her and their Mum here every year since ...that's at least 400 parcels over 35 years... and not one has ever gone missing. That's our experience.

Neil
    Stay sharp and stay safe!

Neil

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast