Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Stu in Tokyo and his Bedan

Hi i went to a show here in the UK yesterday and i decided to buy a Bedan after seeing Stu stuff it up on that utube vid and make it look like childs playwell not going to make out that i though it was good and make him feel to good. But hey stu i got up early today and made a handle for it and im well pleased at how well it does work, was doing very well straight off but got a little to sure and thought i might have to go change my jeans after a bit of a catch, but then pickup again. Stumate one convert to the Bedan...Lb

Oh got a new camera also so able to get back to taking my pics..
    http://www.shapewood.co.uk

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

looks good
    Watch out he bites!

Glad it worked for you lb, so far I have not been able to get much satisfaction out of it. The bevel in your photo does not look like 30 degrees to me, but I have been tricked before. Is it really ground at that angle?
    BTW, nice handle.

Bit of tricked photography, like it and i did not even try. No just the way it is sitting it is angled tool steel then the grind. Just my bad photography. Keep having ago with it, you crack it its well worth it, i did find it very easy though, but its not always been so easy, thread chaseing gave me a good hiding before i got the hang of it. Some things click some take awhile...LB

LB, have you used it bevel up yet? I haven't had the guts to try it.
    Al
    Some minds are like concrete thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

I used it bevel up when, or should i say just before i was going to change my jeans its fast and it did make your heart pump. It is a very fast tool and has a lot of uses, i also used it to hollow a box out today the inside of the box was 3" deep and 1 3/4" ID dia. I first drilled a 3/8 hole then used the Bedan, this was end grain and it was used on very dry hornbeam its very dence wood, it really shifted it, so for me the Bedan is going to be a very vers tool.
    PLEASE GET USED TO THE BEDAN FIRST if you deside to use it on end grain just remember that it is a bit of a horror tool at firstbut does work a treat.
    Best thing i can say is get yourself a good deep pair of wellies and a big bucket to empty into. In the Bedan there was a big mess but not on the lathehave fun guys ..LB

Sorry about the quality of the pic, just done it in the livingroom with just the ceiling light but you can see that it has the angle..LB

Default its on the gonna list

Hmm, after Stu's video I have moved it up the list.
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Thumbs up Bedan

don't know if I'm game enough yet!

Thanks LB, I obviously need more practice.

Thanks for the info, LB. After seeing the pic of yours, I think mine must be at about 45 degrees. Should I change it? Before I try it bevel up?
    About all I've used mine for is making tenons. I haven't even tried to plane a curve with it - yet.
    Al
    Some minds are like concrete thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

The bedan is a really fantastic instrument if used correctly. It is a French technique used since the XVIII century, used with talent by the word wide known eccentric Master, Jean François Escoulen
    http://www.escoulen.com/
    http://www.la-truciolara.com/
    La Truciolara is the workshop where I do my shavings.

Ashley Iles Bedan tool H46 3/8" ...9mm The grind angle should be 45% or less especially if the Bedan is going to be used to roll beads
    The tool steel shape has a 30% angle to it
    www.ashleyiles.co.uk

If you can not get to grips with it all it is a great tool for a lot of jobs which ever way you use it, i am always in the mind that you use a tool in anyway you can, just have ago with it, this goes for any tool.
    I have a roughing out gouge and i hardly use it, the main tool i use is a Crown deep flute spindle gouge this gets used to rough out and to shape, i am able to get more done a lot faster and it just feels right, do not make the mistake that if a tool has been made to do a certain job that you have to use it for that. (those new to turning).
    Stu if you read this thread thanks for the film you done, you converted me to it and i have took to it like a duck to water and it will do a lot of work for me, so thanks for the inlightenment Oh ill send you the cleaning bill for my jeans, for that first catch...LB

Hey LB, glad you stuck with it, it is a very "Catchy" tool, but once you get the hang of it, it is dead fast, and makes a smooth cut. It is also certainly not for everyone, it is the kind of tool you have to, HAVE practice all the time, kind of like TIG welding. Still, I enjoy the challenge, and I find it fun. You are on your own with the cleaning bills

BTW, sorry I was off line for so long, I've been in the hospital with a nasty leg infection, I'm out now (10 days in the hospital!) but I'm still off my feet for at least another week, no Dungeon time for me

I got mine from Robert Sorby, it is an actual >> "Escoulen Bedan" <
    Cheers!
    It's a Family thing.....

Hi Stu sorry to hear about the leg mate hope its not to painfull, and if you are anything like me you will be getting withdraw simptoms about now. My mate flew out to Tokyo friday i was going to go with him but had a problem with my mother so dropped out, could have come say hi, maybe next time when we come over for koi. Hope you get back to the dark place soon..LB

The Leg is getting better all the time LB, thanks.

Next time you are in town, I'll give you the nickel tour of the Dungeon!

PS sorry to hijack your thread
    It's a Family thing.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast