Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lets talk Olive trees...!

Hi Everyone,

I have had some extra time these couple of weeks for some searching and information gathering, due to been unable to do much physical work (spine problems) so, I decided to share some stuff I believe of interest to all fellow turners and timber "maniacs".
    There are other timbers to which I identify in a special way, one been the Olive tree. Some of the older trees 200 years or older, are now rare but still found in some remote areas. Australia was introduced with this species in the 1800 th's, with SA being one of the States where this tree have found ideal conditions to establish. Commonly seen around, most of them are reasonably young trees, of less than 40 years of age, while large areas are now being planted with new trees, (olive tree value), some older trees (80-100 years approx.) are still present in areas such as McLaren Vale, etc.
    I have not turned or worked with olive timber for quite some years, indeed the last time I touched an olive tree, was in 2005, in the Blewitt Springs area, when I was asked to cut 2 old olive trees for firewood (owners use, only), that have been bulldozed off to clear land for vineyard plantation (extension). At that time I had no use for the wood, nor I had where to store any,(temporary accommodation), as all my gear was packed in a metal container, as we had just arrived to SA.
    There are some olive trees around this area, but unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to find any available to me. I am actually thinking in going for a drive and visit the farmer where those 2 olive trees were cut, and if I am in luck, maybe I still can get some still un-split and un-burnt.
    (timber all cut into logs).
    Wondering if the stumps still there.... Will soon see.

I know that some people in this forum does like to work with this timber species, and specially F&E, that by now is jumping up and down, but really, wouldn't you like to put your hands on timber like those in the pics bellow?.

Cheers
    RBTCO

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Sorry about your back hope it not serious

Those are beaut cuts some good reasearch also

We used to live in Redwood Park (NE suburbs) and the Tea Tree Gully
    Council at that time (80s) undertook a very extensive removal program of olive trees along the creeks in the area. If I had known then what I know now, I would have been collecting a lot of that timber, most of which was chipped and spread on parks etc.

What a waste!

So what are you asking/offering RBTCO?

Cheers, Ern

Default Olive tree to me

Hi RBTCO

I thought I'd share my appreciation of the Olive Tree to give your thread a little carry on, but before I do I send my condolences upon hearing of your spine problem and hope its goes away quickly.

The little experience I have had with Olive wood started within an envelope posted from Frank, God bless his soul. It was in the form of an unassuming rectangular block far from its original state; it looked forlorn and needed some life breathed into it. I decided to do some research into where it grows naturally which took me on an ancient history lesson. Finding amongst other interesting things, its place in the bible, in that it was an Olive Tree twig that was carried by a dove that proved to Noah on his ark that there was land above all the water. It's seen as a symbol of peace not only because of its relationship to the Noah’s ark story but as it takes about seven years for the tree to bare fruit an established orchard is seen as prosperous. There is also a disturbing story of the Israel army bulldozing Palestinians Olive orchards as an act of retribution and defiance.

The Olive tree, in a more practical sense, provides food, wood for cooking fires, oil and shade and with all of that, doesn't ask much from the soil as far as nutrients go, very impressive.

So, what did I make from the block of Olive wood? Well, compared to all of its history, and great qualities, my humble bracelets pale into insignificance, although they did make my daughters happy. They were made from hearts, little birds in nests and doves which turned out looking more like decoy ducks, all symbolic to me and made with thought and respect for the Olive tree. You can see some bad pictures in the thread created for 'Challenge II' instigated by Frank. I found Olive wood to be it a great wood to carve and in the hands of an expert I would think its tight grain would hold very fine detail. Frank thoughtfully gave the carvers in the 'Challenge', the plain portions so the carvings weren't taken over by any figure or features of Olive wood like that in your pics.

Anyway that's my little show and tell, try whittling a heart out of Olive wood RBTCO, I reckon it's therapeutic.

Hope your back improves. I have a similar difficulty, but I am still free for light duties.
    With regard to those olive wood photos, do you have something in mind for some olive wood? You have my undivided attention. I was in Greece last year and saw some very old trees. Saw a little bit of olive tree used to make some salad servers, nice grain. Saw a bit more used in Turkey.
    Regards.....
    Jim
    Sometimes in the daily challenges that life gives us, we miss what is really important...

Re spine: good luck RBTCO, looks like everybody on this thread is on the waiting list to join Wheelinground's club, don't be selfish, slow down a bit!

Re olive: the two trees I was forced to fell (25 years ago, before the significant trees legislation, now I would have been able to save them) must have been among the first to be planted in SA, going by size. The pic shows one of the wedges of the bole, say 70/360 of it. I'm happy that a little good is coming out of them now.

Thumbs up Olive wood

All the best with the spine RBTCO.
    Olve is indeed very pretty timber. I have a reasonable sized "lump" awaiting my attention.
    Many American penmakers use it. They have a penchant for making pens from"Holy Land" olive timber with religious themes.

RBTCO, I hate to hear of anyone having trouble with the spine. All the best to you...
    Olive wood? I've been wanting to get my hands on some of it for a couple of years now. Met a man in Colorado, who lives about 120 miles North of me. He said if I'd come up there with my utility trailer, he'd load it up with Olive wood. Seems it grows there about like Mesquite grows here. And the ranchers consider it as a weed... Wish I could afford the diesel for the trip.
    Maybe one day... sigh...
    Al
    Some minds are like concrete thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.

"Raffle Prize" are some items I have made from Olive. I love the stuff, and am hoping to get more of it. It is very easy to work, and some of the patterns are beautiful.
    Good luck with the spine. Had surgery on mine 3 years ago. I don't bend as well these days, but am able to do most things.
    Cheers,
    Shirley
    Last edited by DJ’s Timber; 18th May 2008 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Add link

Quote Originally Posted by robutacion View Post
    ...wouldn't you like to put your hands on timber like those in the pics
    Mitcham Council has been working away at clearing the wild olives from the the Adelaide foothills over recent years. I picked up a trailer load on the Upper Sturt Rd. a while back on one weekend, between when they were felled at the end of one week and when they were cleared away the following week. It may be worth checking to see if they have further plans and what they do/have done with them.

Like all fruit and nut woods, it wanted to split and pull itself apart as it seasoned, and required immediate and careful waxing to minimise loss.

The Adelaide City Council, which manages our oldest groves in the parklands surrounding Adelaide, may occasionally have a dropped limb that they 'tidy' up.

Good hunting

Neil
    Stay sharp and stay safe!

Neil

Yeah, backs are b*ggers ... the Seppos IIRC have been playing around with prosthetic discs. Reckon we could turn some cheap

FWIW I've been through several mills (drugs, surgery, chiro etc) with mine and finally found a sports physio who helps me keep in shape for peanuts. No silver bullet though; have to work out every day.

As for olive, I was given a blank by a sometime turner who wasn't confident tackling it. Fantastic gift, so after working on it I gave it to my professional mentor.

[About 5" wide at the top; oil finish; apologies for duplicate posting].
    Cheers, Ern

nice one! Ern. Have yet to see much if any Olive blanks up this way
    Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working. — Pablo Picasso

Thanks Hughie.

This one came from www.thewoodsmith.com.au originally. Dunno where he sourced it from.

But there'd have to be a sh*tload of old poor-producing trees in Mediterranean countries. An opportunity there for someone.
    Cheers, Ern

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast