Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Interesting website

HI Check these out He takes segmented to a new depth. What do you reckon? I think it some great food for thought
    bye
    Toni

http://www.placek.info/bowls.htm
    Last edited by lubbing5cherubs; 21st May 2008 at 10:30 PM. Reason: forgot link

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

looks great I only dream of my work that good
    enjoy life we are only here a short time not a long time

Verrrry interesting. They're called "square" bowls, but they have turned elements. Built-up blanks aren't quite segmented in the usual sense, but all sorts of possibilities.

Here's some pics of a non-segmented bowl I saw last October at Capitol Area Woodturners (near Washington DC USA). I've almost completed scratching my head about how it was mounted and the turning sequence. [Oops! It is built-up after all.]

Another technique of compound turning is that used by Hans Weissflog; produces intersecting voids like on a flat routed trivet. One of his was on the cover of American Woodturner, Spring 2008.

Joe
    Last edited by joe greiner; 21st May 2008 at 11:08 PM. Reason: [added]
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

They seem to be segmented or laminated into a flat board then circle cut on a bandsaw at an angle then glued into a bowl shape and finished. Read about the idea in a book as a way of making a bowl out of a, say, one inch thick board. the laminating before bandsawing adds another dimension
    there's a possibility they have never been near a lathe
    nice trick and very stunning - will have to file the idea away in the grey matter to try some day
    nice find Toni

Quote Originally Posted by joe greiner View Post
    Verrrry interesting. They're called "square" bowls, but they have turned elements. Built-up blanks aren't quite segmented in the usual sense, but all sorts of possibilities.

Here's some pics of a non-segmented bowl I saw last October at Capitol Area Woodturners (near Washington DC USA). I've almost completed scratching my head about how it was mounted and the turning sequence. [Oops! It is built-up after all.]

Another technique of compound turning is that used by Hans Weissflog; produces intersecting voids like on a flat routed trivet. One of his was on the cover of American Woodturner, Spring 2008.

Joe
    Not quite the same Joe but gets the mind working for a while..LB

The thing that caught my eye in October was that it was also both square and round. Anyone living near a capitol city should be accustomed to ambiguity, I guess. Having established the notion of double mounting, it was a short leap to Weissflog's work, and I just re-examined the AAW cover to find that it didn't have a final form exhibiting the square after all. Oh well.

I only looked at one link earlier, but after looking at a couple more, I didn't see any that matched the technique cited by Sawdust Maker. There's a tool called "ringmaster" ( http://www.ringmastertool.com/ ) that makes sloping rings for assembly into turning blanks. I saw some made that way at a recent exhibition here, and frankly I thought they were uninspiring. Might have been the turner's limited choices of course.

A variation of the ringmaster, somewhat cooler, is to cut a single board in a spiral with the bandsaw or scrollsaw table tilted, like telescoping baskets. Glue together after telescoping, and then turn. There was a thread about this in the past year or so; "spiral bowl" or similar title.

But back to the original link, have a squint at this one: http://www.placek.info/Autum_bowls1/slides/G2.html - note that the infill pieces have been cut back between others. That takes careful cutting after turning. And note they've included photographic data below the picture. We've spilled quite a bit of virtual ink about such info around here lately.

In any event, thanks heaps for discovering this, Toni. Lots of ideas to clone.

Joe

Would the square bowl in Joes post be turned on 2 axis, 1st for the outside leaving the back square then shift the centre point/axis 90° to turn the inner bowl shape?

As I said earlier I've almost completed scratching my head. I see two problems turning the outside first: No purchase point for the second turning, and severe imbalance. I'm persuaded that the inside is likely turned first, with a matching companion. Then glue together for the outside with scrap tenons to hold between centres, or chuck and live centre. After the second (half) turning, separate the pieces and dress the "ends." Clean the glue joint(s) on a belt sander. Or something like that.

Joe

Joe

I think I'll have to disagree
    I think the process I described would make such a bowl. the grain on the end of the lighter timber looks to flow to each ring below to me. The next bowl in the series seems similar but with the rings rotated 180 degrees.
    Not sure I have the technique or the expertise, but now my interest is piqued.
    I suppose the proof is in the pudding so I'll have to give it a try
    In about 3 months I'll post a wip - have other things to do first - ie have to keep the chancelloress of the exchequer happy first ... and given I've just spent some money... well ...

cheers

Nick

edit
    this was a comment on Joe's previous response
    second edit
    sorry we are talking about different things. Anyway could they have used hot melt glue?

No disagreement, Nick. The process you described certainly would make a bowl. I just didn't notice any like that on the original link. I'll take a closer look during my copious "leisure" time. The retiree's motto is "I don't know how I ever found time for work. Now it takes me all day to do nothing."

Cheers,
    Joe

After laminating, the outside would be turned as a hemisphere about an axis running across the diameter of the bowl at right angles through the midpoint of the square edge and level with the top of the bowl section. The inside would then be turned about an axis at right angles to the first as you would normally turn the inside of the bowl.

Default Interesting website

No disagreement, Nick. The process you described certainly would make a bowl. I just didn't notice any like that on the original link. I'll take a closer look during my copious "leisure" time. The retiree's motto is "I don't know how I ever found time for work. Now it takes me all day to do nothing."

Cheers,
    Joe
    Hi joe.
    I´m agreed with you how the bolw is turned.

Best regards,
    Řistein

The thing that caught my eye in October was that it was also both square and round. Anyone living near a capitol city should be accustomed to ambiguity, I guess. Having established the notion of double mounting, it was a short leap to Weissflog's work, and I just re-examined the AAW cover to find that it didn't have a final form exhibiting the square after all. Oh well.

I only looked at one link earlier, but after looking at a couple more, I didn't see any that matched the technique cited by Sawdust Maker. There's a tool called "ringmaster" ( http://www.ringmastertool.com/ ) that makes sloping rings for assembly into turning blanks. I saw some made that way at a recent exhibition here, and frankly I thought they were uninspiring. Might have been the turner's limited choices of course.

A variation of the ringmaster, somewhat cooler, is to cut a single board in a spiral with the bandsaw or scrollsaw table tilted, like telescoping baskets. Glue together after telescoping, and then turn. There was a thread about this in the past year or so; "spiral bowl" or similar title.

But back to the original link, have a squint at this one: http://www.placek.info/Autum_bowls1/slides/G2.html - note that the infill pieces have been cut back between others. That takes careful cutting after turning. And note they've included photographic data below the picture. We've spilled quite a bit of virtual ink about such info around here lately.

In any event, thanks heaps for discovering this, Toni. Lots of ideas to clone.

Joe
    Thanks for the web site JOE.

I got so excited because they look easy to make so i will be making some soon. My wife told me to shut up as I kept telling her to come and look at the bowls. Any way the Kids loved them.

Regards
    JAMC

Cheers,
    Joe
    About 3 years and I'll be taking all day to do nothing as well
    looking forward to it
    But need to fully set up the shed before then, and I think SWMBO is wising up to my plan

After you've had a closer look let me know. I very well may have not seen something and would like to corrected before I blunder into a mistake

When I first read about idea of using a board to make a bowl, I thought 'ho hum' but after looking at the site Toni posted, I thought this may have some merit and I will have to re-examine my prejudices. Anyway I'll give it a try in the coming months, if I can locate some lumber suitable

cheers

Jarrahrules
    post a wip if you can please
    looks like you may get to it before me
    cheers
    S'dM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast