Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stave Vessels?

Default Stave Vessels?

I picked up some bocote and cocobola sticks off Ebay and they are perfect for making a stave vessel!
    I already cut them to length and need to ask you folks if the staves need to all be the same width? The cocobola sticks are a little wider than the bocote and I think it would add to the looks of the finished turning to leave them wider if possible.
    Thanks for any tips you can give me!!!
    Here's a picture of the wood with a 12" ruler.

Take care!!
    Michael

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.-- Leo Buscaglia

Always think of your fellow craftsmen as partners in the search for the perfect piece of yourself, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Dunno Michael ... you're talking about something like a wine barrel?

Try a Google on 'drum turning'.
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker223 View Post
    I already cut them to length and need to ask you folks if the staves need to all be the same width?
    The pieces in the pic should be fine.

I wouldn't want to use much wider, though - assuming all the pieces are the same thickness then having wider staves will mean thinner walls on the result.

To include pieces that are, say, twice as wide as the alternating pieces and maintain the maximum possible wall thickness, you really need to make the wide pieces about 1 1/2 times as thick the thin 'uns. (There is a formula but I'm dead beat right now and can't think of it. )
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

I think different widths will look good.

There was an artical next too the artical Ern put up (about green turning) that is all about making a stave vessel. Here it is. Looks interesting.
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Looks like you could make a piece a little over 6" in diameter and about 12" tall. As Skew mentioned, may need to make some calculations and/or scale drawings, but if the wood is thick enough you could cut them all at the same angles.
    Richard in Wimberley

Actually, looking at those fine bits of timber (lumber to you Michael) there's a lot of fantastic figure there ... maybe too much?

Might end up looking very 'busy' ... what do you think?

(Love your signature btw.)
    Cheers, Ern

Quote Originally Posted by rsser View Post
    Actually, looking at those fine bits of timber (lumber to you Michael) there's a lot of fantastic figure there ... maybe too much?

Might end up looking very 'busy' ... what do you think?
    starting to think it might be too bust too. You might need some plainer wood in between, or use thenm in differant vessels. There is that one stave with a white stripe of sapwood down the side. That looks like it comes from a different vessel yet again. It either needs more like that or non at all. IMHO
    anne-maria.
    T
    ea Lady

(White with none)
    Follow my little workshop/gallery on facebook. things of clay and wood.

Yeah, that'd be my call too TL.

Maybe alternate high figure staves with something plain.

Just my 2c worth.
    Cheers, Ern

Yeah, that'd be my call too TL.

Maybe alternate high figure staves with something plain.

Just my 2c worth.
    Oh, I dunno. If he cut each of the staves with the same angle, then seperated 'em with small slats of a very light (or maybe very dark) timber, say only 3-5mm wide, then I reckon it'd be quite impressive. Especially if the base & rim are lipped with the same timber.

It would look busy without such dividers, though.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Yeah, that'd be something.

Good call Skew.
    Cheers, Ern

What they said. From a Q&D measurement of my screen image, I get about 17.9" maximum circumference, so about 5.7" maximum diameter.

Adding thin strips would boost the diameter. An easy source could be tongue depressors, with the rounded ends cut off; usually white birch IIRC. There'd be 3 or 4 required for each stave, and their joins could be filled with another strip of a darker wood (or not). For best results, I'd suggest placing those joins at random, or alternating, offsets along the vertical. Also, be careful with the "curl" of the strips, to ensure structural integrity; single pieces of veneer could be more effective, and less busy design-wise.

This would only form the cylindrical part of the piece. The top and bottom still need attention. I'd consider cutting the staves short to provide material for the top and bottom, instead of using some other wood.

It looks like you're on the way to a great work. Please keep us posted.

Joe
    Of course truth is stranger than fiction.
    Fiction has to make sense. - Mark Twain

Default Quartered Douglas Fir Veneer

Thanks for all the input folks!!!!
    This will be my first segmented turning and I want it to come out nice!
    I agree with you about the two woods together being too busy but when I was sorting through the stock, it just jumped out at me.I have some Douglas Fir veneer that is very light and would be fine for putting between the other wood. I also have a piece of basswood that would be suitable for this use and I could cut it into 1/8" or 1/4" strips. The only problem with basswood is it's pretty soft and also might stain with the dust from the other woods.
    The reason I'm making a straight walled vessel is it's going to be a humidor for cigars and the inside needs to be straight so I figured it wouldn't hurt for the outside to be also. I'll probably dress it up some as long as I don't go crazy and make it gaudy!
    I'm thiking about using a piece of cocobola for the base and top. I'm afraid I don't have any bocote big enough for that.
    I have some big blocks of quilted sapelle, bubinga, leopard wood, and a couple thick Brazilian flame redwood, and some 1/4" thin sheets of Bolivian rosewood. I guess once the body is turned I could see how all these different woods look with it and choose the nicest.
    Oh well, I guess your first segmented vessel should be a challenge and take a loy of thought!
    You folks sure are helpful and much appreciated!!!!!
    Take care!!
    Michael

Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God.-- Leo Buscaglia

Always think of your fellow craftsmen as partners in the search for the perfect piece of yourself, not as people trying to compete with you and your work!

Otautahi , Te Wa'hi Pounamu ( The Mainland) , NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker223 View Post

I'm thiking about using a piece of cocobola for the base and top. I'm afraid I don't have any bocote big enough for that.
    I have some big blocks of quilted sapelle, bubinga, leopard wood, and a couple thick Brazilian flame redwood, and some 1/4" thin sheets of Bolivian rosewood. I guess once the body is turned I could see how all these different woods look with it and choose the nicest.

it's going to be a humidor for cigars
    A Cuban wood with nice figure maybe , are there any that turn well ?

Quote Originally Posted by joe greiner View Post
    From a Q&D measurement of my screen image, I get about 17.9" maximum circumference, so about 5.7" maximum diameter.
    Joe
    How'd you do this Joe? ie. go from a screen representation to real dimensions?

Quote Originally Posted by Manuka Jock View Post
    A Cuban wood with nice figure maybe , are there any that turn well ?
    Cedar is usual around cigars .. Spanish or Syrian, can't recall which.
    Cheers, Ern

How'd you do this Joe? ie. go from a screen representation to real dimensions?
    Ern, I'm guessing Joe used the 300mm rule as a reference. Possibly using image manipulation S/W (i.e. Paint) keep adjusting scale until rule measures say 150mm on paper then double the dimension over timbers. Just guessing mind you.
    Last edited by Grumpy John; 17th November 2008 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Typo
    To grow old is inevitable.... To grow up is optional

Confidence, the feeling you have before you fully understand the situation.

What could possibly go wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast